Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Zombicide is really poorly constructed mechanically. The major source of the threat in the game is zombies getting multiple moves in a turn so instead of building tension the game is either kind of stupid easy or "oh well we just died instantly" hard. The zombie AI is lazy as gently caress, to the point where you just add zombies out of thin air when a group of zombies splits up - I suspect this is also done to ensure that you'll start running out of zombies and hit the 'multiple moves' stage. The XP system is really really gamey and not particularly fun as a result.

I appreciate that some people want a simple zombie themed co-op with miniatures but it's a pretty awful game outside of those qualities.

Ravendas posted:

Xia talk:
Our first game, a friend went to the debris field to collect stuff. This location has this roll: 1-3: DEAD, no save. 4-20: Get a purple cube to sell. First roll: 2. Dead! He had a tier2 ship, so he had to miss an entire turn.

He respawns, tries this again as a quick way to make money to make up for lost time. First roll: 2. Dead. Another turn skipped.

Respawns, decides he'll explore a bit. Blind jumps into the sun. ~Dead~

Respawns, decides to do some simpler exploration nearby, through a single tile of a debris field (once again, 1-3 dead, 4-20 safe). Rolled a 1.

That's when we decided to stop the 'die and lose a turn' mechanic, replacing it with 'respawn with slight damage and slight energy loss' on the following turn.

It's pretty much a game where you can't care about winning, because the dice, which control EVERY action in the game, can really mess you up.

The way the designer talks about it being a "sandbox game" and "moddable" makes me wonder if he's mostly a video gamer and has really stupid priorities when it comes to playtesting his game. Those two phrases are huge red flags to me suggesting the designer expects players to do all the hard work of actually creating a fun experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

silvergoose posted:

Except for mall and city of horror which are about dealing with each other...

Dead of Winter is too, for all its flaws.

The reason zombie games in general don't do it is because zombies long ago transitioned from social/political commentary device to nerd horror trope and in doing so lost most of their value beyond being an aesthetic hook. Plants vs Zombies makes no loving sense from a 'traditional' zombie perspective either.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Elysium posted:

So I'm picking up Coup, Through the Ages, and Temporum and I need one more game to get free shipping. Here are all the games I own: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/ElysiumSA

Mainly looking for 3+ player games, nothing super long or heavy, any recommendations?

p.s. the last recommendation I got here was for Libertalia which has been a huge hit, so thanks for that.

Castles of Burgundy or Kemet? Not sure how expensive or big a game you want.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

It's monkey cheese bullshit for people too lazy to build a deck. I hated it, felt like magic the gathering with all the good parts stripped out.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

bobvonunheil posted:

I've been playing stuff like Agricola and Terra Mystica for years, I guess I was surprised that such a highly-regarded game didn't seem to have more going on strategy-wise.

At least Castles of Burgundy will be easier to get to the table than those other ones, which tend to sit around unopened for years :sigh:

You're answering your own questions here, you recognise that right? :P Also if everyone managed to fill their fields with their desired animal type that suggests you were all playing too nice.

CoB is the most popular "step up" from Carcassonne, TTR or Settlers of Catan (and I suspect the hex tiles and dice rolling remind people of Settlers in a good way). It's not rated highly for its ability to compete with Terra Mystica on depth.

I see a similar reaction from people who play 7 Wonders, finish the drafting and go "that's it??". Well, yeah. Most collections need some accessible strategy games and the best, most flexible, most accessible ones get rated very highly.

sonatinas posted:

Played Le Havre and Hansa Teutonica for the first time over the weekend.

Le Havre seems to have more interaction than Agricola and penalties for not feeding you crew are not as dire as Agricola. Also, I do like how everyone shares the cards instead of what you have in your hand. For right now I do prefer Le Havre over Agricola; however, I ma be biased since I'm bad at Agricola.

Le Havre has two major drawbacks compared to Agricola - it's harder to get to the table due to length, and there's less obvious game-to-game variation (this could be a positive too but at this point I get the feeling people who play Agricola over Caverna value the randomness of occupation cards highly). I like it a lot more but wish I could play it more often, especially with 3 players.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Scyther posted:

About the worst thing I can say about 7 Wonders is that it fills such a rare niche that if your group is usually 5-7 people, and you've got a majority of people clinging to the asinine ideal that everyone should play together at all times, you're going to get sick of 7 Wonders very fast. I have nothing really against the game, but I have no desire to ever play it again.

My regular groups are 3-4 players, 7 Wonders works perfectly for the odd occasions where we have more and I want to play something other than Avalon. If it's your main game then you have a problem, yeah.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Tekopo posted:

Guess what Vlaada -related kickstarter stuff I just got in the mail? :q:

I ordered this and two other games that were supposed to ship October-November but all those port delays mean they're probably all going to arrive while I'm away over Christmas :(

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

I was under the impression this was usual for kickstarters. I think there's threads on Reddit and BGG about how you should absolutely expect anything you kickstart to be both available in stores before you get it and cheaper than what you pledged. It's not a traditional ordering system, for better or worse.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

The Deleter posted:

So is Cthulhu Wars the overpriced Kickstarter garbage it appears to be, or does it have anything of merit? I ask because I love asymmetric strategy games and this makes my nerd sense tingle, but I am like 80% sure I would be better off buying Quantum or Kemet instead.

Even if its good you could buy Quantum AND Kemet AND Chaos in the Old World for the same amount of money.

So basically only get it if you're irrationally obsessed with Chtulhu miniatures or very wealthy.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

In defense of the Codename: Merlin thing, that was also used in the famous spy novel Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. It's not really that weird and is better than "False Chief" etc by a mile

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

fozzy fosbourne posted:

2) Which expansions are considered better for Race for the Galaxy? Arc 1 or Arc 2? I will probably play this mostly 2-3, maybe 4

I like Arc 2 the most (I've played ~100 games of that, ~30 games of Gathering Storm, a bunch more on the Keldon AI program for other Arc 1 expansions). It adds more and better balanced cards than the first expansion of Arc 1, without becoming bloated in the way the game does as you add more expansions from Arc 1. In terms of pacing and card strength it feels only slightly stronger than the base game - if you'd like some serious power creep and combo play then go hog wild with all of Arc 1, the cards and synergy get pretty crazy by the third expansion.

Having said that, half of the box is taken up by the new Orb module which is hit-or-miss depending on the person you ask. I actually quite like it, but it is at an odd tangent to the core gameplay (it feels something like playing Carcassone and RftG at the same time). I personally would still recommend Alien Artifacts as the best expansion just on the strength of the cards included, you don't actually have to use the Orb if you don't want to.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

What are some good games with an auction mechanic?

Does there have to be more? Modern Art is basically all auction, all the time and it's a cool game.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Robinson Crusoe is a pretty flawed game that's ranked so high partly because of the dearth of quality thematic co-ops - that the next two games on the list are Eldritch Horror and Dead of Winter says a lot. I actually think it benefits from an unusual theme in that respect too, helps it stand out as not just another lovely zombie/cthulhu co-op.

thespaceinvader posted:

I'd suggest Caverna (definitely this over Agricola, it's IME a better game, and the theme is a lot more obvious and fun)

I finally played Caverna yesterday and just found it weird. You're avalanched with resources all game from spaces that give you 3 different things at once, you can put them almost anywhere you want, and while adventuring dwarves feels pretty fun it's also basically just shopping for anything you need and can't get with the game's God resource (rubies). Final scores where 79-80-82 which makes me worried that it's too easy to just do whatever the hell you want with every path being balanced to roughly the same numbers.

I can understand why people would want a resource game that feels less constricted than Agricola, but Le Havre does that much better IMO. Agricola feels like a knife fight on the edge of starvation and Le Havre a refined fencing match, Caverna was like a hotdog eating contest with the last person to vomit winning.

edit: the other thing I disliked about it was that the near-constant harvests almost completely strip away the feeling of pacing and tension Agricola has as the game's stages shorten. Despite having the same number of actual rounds Agricola feels like it accelerates towards the end, whereas Caverna feels like it's dragging longer and longer.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 5, 2015

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

h_double posted:

Also, with a smaller number of players at least, there's more competitive element possible than might be immediately apparent. The last (3p) game I played, as soon as another player got his 3rd dwarf hat at the blacksmith, I immediately snatched up the Weapon Storage Chamber (3 pt per helmet dwarf) because that was a bunch of points I didn't want him to have.

That's what I would consider a minimum standard of board game competency tbh. It's still a worker placement with some limited items you compete over after all, anyone who's played one before should be able to see that stuff. In 3 player there seemed to be too many avenues open - perhaps the "basic" game with less rooms available would actually have worked better in this respect.

I have promised my friend to play it one or two more times to see if my opinion changes.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

I've only played a little bit of Babel but it seems pretty cool too. The tower has some nasty effects and strongly competes with wonder stages for when you want to bury a card, and the projects add a bit of extra tension to each age in a neat way.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Broken Loose posted:

I've heard nothing good about Babel; just that it adds obligatory bullshit to the game and extends the playtime in uninteresting ways.

I can understand not liking the effects but both halves of the expansion are super quick, they barely add anything to the playtime.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Lorini posted:

Backing up a bit: LeHavre has two major problems which is why I sold mine and problems Caverna doesn't have. I'm spoiling it in case you want to find out for yourself.

Loans are ridiculously overpowered, unless you are playing four player it does not make sense to actually produce food, just get loans instead. And even then only the fourth player should produce food, everyone else should get loans. There's really only two strategies in the game, ships or shipping steel/coke. That's about it. You need to play a bit to find this out, but I was really disappointed. Caverna doesn't seem to have these issues (yet).

I don't know if spoilers are really necessary here, both points are largely correct and thematically appropriate. It's a game about building an industrial empire in a harbour town, and the dominant strategy is for the most part taking on loans while you set up the infrastructure required to produce the most valuable goods and ship them.

Anyway, regarding loans: Food is still important and worth producing or taking efficiently as a means to save money or pay entry costs on buildings, but it's not a central resource like it is in Agricola/Caverna. I would agree the rulebook probably overemphasises it and it can take a few games for people to realise that they're not actually supposed to be career fishermen. Businesses taking loans while they work towards profitability is pretty standard, but of course if you don't like that mechanic then that's fine. I enjoy getting a bit of a debt and then paying it off when I'm rich.

As for the second part: I think this comes down to how much the players value the idea of "multiple paths" to victory. Lots of good games have one main strategy that would be analogous to "take loans, ship steel" that effectively form the backbone of the game around which everything else revolves (Puerto Rico feels similar off the top of my head). The enjoyment in these games for me is how everyone works around each other as you all pursue that goal. It's in the taking of a 3 wood stack just to ensure you get the first boat, or an inefficient brick production move to make sure you can get a modern ship first even though others beat you to the steel, or the extra turn or two you sit on the colliery right when everyone else really wants to use it. This doesn't really do it for some people and I understand that, a friend of mine has the same issue with Le Havre as you - he was very disappointed to find out that you can't really win with a giant stack of fish or hides. It's just not that sort of game.

I hadn't really thought about this as a potential issue for people who really like the farming games though, and I don't disagree. Just thought I'd give my two cents on why I don't think these are 'problems' with the game specifically.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Lorini posted:

Back a bit again, you guys are writing too fast for this slowpoke :).

OK in our games, good players manipulated food so that at the end of the round, they could take a loan, that's how good loans are vs food, and if you see the penalty you can see why. The fourth player in a four player game shouldn't do this because the food accumulation is great enough to make food worthwhile.

The issue that I(we) have with the two pronged strategy of Le Havre is that there are let's say sucker deals in the game. For example, you can't win concentrating on the end- game scoring cards if others are going for coke/steel or ships. Contrast this with his game after Le Havre, Ora et Labora, where there is again only two real strategies, but everything in the game is used to achieve either of those strategies. You don't have the situation where you are basically fooled into thinking that there's an end game strategy that ultimately will never work out. In Ora, you can either do settlements or Wonders. However, doing either of those strategies will have you exploring the entire game, not just coke/steel, not just ships. So the design is broader and more accessible AND (importantly) newbie friendly, where Le Havre is not. Ora is one of my top 5 games of all time, I love that game, will play it any time, so no, I have nothing against games with limited numbers of strategies. I don't like games though where what appears to be a way to win is not, and I don't like games where much of the design is not needed to win the game.

Fair enough, I do really need to play Ora one day but I don't think anyone I know owns it.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Dungeon Lords Anniversary arrived today :toot:

I don't know where I'm going to put the box, it's huge.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Indolent Bastard posted:

what country are you in?

I'm in Australia too. It reached customs on New Year's Eve and has been sitting there while the customs officers and posties are on holidays. Someone on BGG got it in New Zealand today as well.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Scyther posted:

I don't know why anyone would subject another person to a 6 player game.
Probably because they're the kind of person that plays Smash Up.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Skutter posted:

I have yet to play either one of those games, so I can't comment on the similarities/discrepancies unfortunately. I can say though that this was my first time I've played a truly cooperative game (I played Betrayal at House on the Hill, but that didn't play like this one did) and I really enjoyed it. As much as I enjoy competitive games, I had a lot more fun playing this, and am looking forward to the next game night to play it again. It was really easy to pick up, maybe 10-15 minutes' worth of explanation, and each character card has a turn info cheat sheet on the back, so it wasn't unnecessarily difficult to keep track of gameplay either. If I get a chance to play BSG or Pandemic, I will definitely come back and do a quick comparison, but otherwise this is my only experience with this genre of boardgame.

No offense but if you haven't played Space Alert your opinion on a 'co-operatively save a space ship from various dangers' board game is meaningless to me.

This game does look more like Pandemic with more stuff in it though. The downtime must be pretty bad with 5+ players.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

"Then our captain spent the entire first Advanced Sim going up and down the elevator and firing empty lasers at no targets" should just be printed on every single Space Alert box.

On another note, I've played a bit more Dungeon Lords and even though I knew it was going to be good I am shocked at how accessible it is. My regular group is me, my wife, a friend and his fiance and as soon as I opened the box the girls were going from component to component gawking at how cute everything was and how good the art was. Every time someone got a new trap or looked at a combat card they had a chuckle to themself at a joke they knew nobody else could see yet. The little story explanations for every space in the rulebook make explaining things fantastically easy. Despite being a heavier, meaner game I actually think it was easier to teach and more inviting than Castles of Burgundy. It's also plays much faster than you'd expect looking at it.

I should have bought Dungeon Petz a long time ago and now I can't find it anywhere. If they do an Anniversary edition of that one I'm buying it immediately.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

echoMateria posted:

Hoping for one this year, been out of print for so long.

So far they've been doing it for games that are 5 years old, so I don't expect anything this year unless they release Travel Blog: Anniversary Edition.

I guess they could do one for Through The Ages though, a reprint with rebalanced cards has been rumoured hasn't it?

jivjov posted:

7 Wonders: With Babel, are the little bag-shaped tokens for "Hey I participated in the Great Project" little cardboard chits or wooden meeple things? I've seen what looks like pictures of both online, and I'm not sure if I'm just seeing playtest/prototype vs final production versions or what.
There's wooden ones and cardboard chits. The wooden ones are the main ones, used to show people participated. The chits are a reward for some projects that let you participate in a later project regardless of the colour of card you just played.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

echoMateria posted:

There was a print error on the progress board of Dungeon Lords Anniversary, which they first tried to fix with a sticker. Now Vlaada made a rules change to compensate for it, since people weren't particularly happy with the sticker idea:

Interesting turn of events. :)

It was pretty rough seeing Vlaada talk about how people at CGE were basically going without sleep for a month to get the thing done and then the reaction from backers was so angry over tiny poo poo like a single phase printed one spot to the left on one board in a way that barely affects gameplay.

I understand people being miffed if the game still hasn't turned up in countries were delivery should be finished by now but come on. One guy in Canberra recieved a box that had basically been completely destroyed by the shipping company and he seemed less annoyed than some people are about the print error.

Poison Mushroom posted:

I've said it a couple times, but I think it bears repeating: Robinson Crusoe is very, very good, but in exactly two mutually-exclusive situations.

1. Several players of about equal skill level at board games experiencing it for the first time together (and their continued adventures of trying to master it together).
2. A marvelous solo game with a meta-campaign of learning to suck less.

The quarterbacking problem in RC is atrocious, because of the punishing difficulty, and how difficult it is to just give decent 'general statement' good advice any more advanced than "don't forget about your roof, fucko". So if one or two players are significantly more experienced than the others ('significantly' in this case can even be 'almost completed the first scenario once'), it becomes them telling everyone else what to do, because otherwise you'll all lose and die.

Rutibex posted:

VVV Oh yeah do not play Robinson Crusoe with actual people. It is a solo game only. I don't care what is says on the box.

Robinson Crusoe sucked as a solo game for me too because it has almost the same amount of setup for 1 person as it does for 4, except now you have to do it all yourself. Then you draw 3 books in a row and lose because the game decided to say "gently caress you".

Basically don't play Robinson Crusoe, I try really hard not to call games "overrated" but Crusoe certainly is. If you want a quarterbackable co-op play Ghost Stories.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 13, 2015

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Cosmic has been around a long time and is quite influential in Ameritrash circles, e.g.:

Richard Garfield posted:

Though there are about a dozen games that have directly influenced Magic in one way or another, the game's most influential ancestor is a game for which I have no end of respect: Cosmic Encounter, originally published by Eon Products and re-released by Mayfair Games. In this game, participants play alien races striving to conquer a piece of the universe. Players can attempt their conquest alone, or forge alliances with other aliens. There are nearly fifty alien races which can be played, each of which has a unique ability: the Amoeba, for example, has the power to Ooze, giving it unlimited token movement; the Sniveler has the power to Whine, allowing it to automatically catch up when behind. The best thing about Cosmic Encounter is precisely this limitless variety. I have played hundreds of times and still can be surprised at the interactions different combinations of aliens produce. Cosmic Encounter remains enjoyable because it is constantly new.

Cosmic Encounter proved to be an interesting complement to my own design ideas. I had been mulling over a longtime idea of mine: a game which used a deck of cards whose composition changed between rounds. During the course of the game, the players would add cards to and remove cards from the deck, so that when you played a new game it would have an entirely different card mix. I remembered playing marbles in elementary school, where each player had his own collection from which he would trade and compete. I was also curious about Strat-o-matic Baseball, in which participants draft, field, and compete their own teams of baseball players, whose abilities are based on real players' previous year statistics. intrigued by the structure of the game, I was irritated that the subject was one for which I had no patience.

These thoughts were the essence of what eventually became Magic. My experiences with Cosmic Encounter and other games inspired me to create a card game in 1982 called Five Magics. Five Magics was an attempt to distill the modularity of Cosmic Encounter down to just a card game. The nature of Cosmic Encounter seemed entirely appropriate for a magical card game—wild and not entirely predictable, but not completely unknown, like a set of forces you almost, but don't quite, understand. Over the next few years, Five Magics went on to inspire entirely new magical card games among my friends.

Doesn't make it a good game, but the context might help understand why so many people list it as one of the greatest.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

With euro vs ameritrash definitions you need to remember the context and history of those terms for them to make sense, because there's no way to create a solid line. Compared to ameritrash games euros minimised combat and player elimination and emphasised player agency through simpler (or perhaps "less bloated") and more deterministic mechanics. Dominion fits all of these categories. It's not like Settlers of Catan is a zero luck game.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Castles of Burgundy is the newer game for people who loving love hex tiles and rolling 2D6. Like Catan it's fairly simple to learn and play and pretty beige, but it isn't nearly as luck based and plays 2 or 4 players better. It does lack Catan's trading aspects though which is what some people like about Catan.

Keyflower is probably the best actual neo-Catan though. Hex tiles, building your settlement, and loving people over all combined by some really tight mechanisms and guaranteed game length.

Social Dissonance posted:

The game has deceptively simple rules as it's a worker placement game at its core.
I get irrationally annoyed by people using this term for things that aren't actually worker placement.

Edit: This game generates wonderful stories. I got jumped by a surprisingly powerful Iguana, and had to smoke a pipe and rush it with two broken bottles to survive. It's a game that generates stories a bit better than most. Even if people aren't contributing 100%, they still have the things that they do contribute to a fun (or depressing) story.
This is the reason to play Robinson Crusoe for anyone still wondering. The mechanisms make people think it's euro but it's not, you're constantly rolling dice just to see if the game decides to gently caress you over and the difficulty of the cards is wildly swingy. If that doesn't bother you and you like theme-first games then go for it.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jan 13, 2015

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You take colored pawns and place them on things to generate resources or inventions? Of course the game has a lot more than that going on, but the game comes down to taking risks or guaranteeing results based on how you allocate limited pawns to limited areas. I'm comparing it to Lords of Waterdeep though, so if that doesn't fit your definition I guess we have two different standards.

Notice how in Lords of Waterdeep if you take an action you simultaneously reduce the options available to your opponents? That's "worker placement". The extent to which actions are limited varies from game to game but if action taking isn't at least somewhat exclusionary it's not worker placement.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

If you're experienced you can do a full solo conquest in 2 hours, but it'll take longer your first few games and including setup/teardown you'll always be pushing 2 hours. There's a shorter introductory scenario and a "blitz" option that's 2/3rds as long.

Experienced players will pretty much always knock down both cities and often increase the difficulty of the scenario as they get better. That doesn't mean the game isn't challenging, it's just very fair despite having a highly random setup.

That makes sense. The game does limit you from doing doing the same exact action twice though! The rulebook didn't make this incredibly obvious, and the first couple games I played I gathered from the camp or another source twice. It makes good camp placement really important.

I see that more as a limited resources thing, and it's still a co-op game. Your tokens are just tracking what you did. Still I see where you're coming from now more.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

At least we'll never be short of thread titles.

Board Game Thread: Forty dollars will be teleported away from your pocket

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Tekopo posted:

I think they jumped the shark around the time of that extremely lovely 'Knizia invades from space' episode that was just one painful joke after the other.

This was definitely it, three of us thinking it can't be wrong. That episode was so bizarrely awful.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Matt Lees' Takenoko review still angers me.

I liked Leigh Alexander's Netrunner piece, and she wrote that article about gamers being giant man children that partially sparked gamergate which makes her cool in my books.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Does Wil Wheaton actually like more complex games? He can't just play Ticket to Ride and Catan for Kids all the time, right? Maybe he is using Tabletop as some trojan horse, like the TV show equivalent of a gateway game, and now that he has some momentum he'll sneak Space Alert or Battlestar or something else amazing in there. I think more complicated games could really benefit from a studio with actual editing and graphics and stuff.

They have a long list of requirements for what they play on the show because it's primarily entertainment reality TV. Stuff with lots of hidden information or complicated cards or what have you is hard to film in their style and be immediately appreciated by people who haven't played the game before.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Poopy Palpy posted:

I'd put more stock in this reasoning if they went to the effort of getting the rules right. Once you've given up on that, what does it matter if people can follow every detail?

Just imagine how much they'd get wrong if they played games with more than 4 rules.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

I've seen him positively mention Agricola, Power Grid, Tzolk'in, Arkham Horror, BSG. He doesn't like TI3, I can't remember him saying a negative thing about any other games.

edit: lmao he rated Sorry! a 10 on bgg.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 14, 2015

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

That thread is full of people realising super obvious flaws in games they like, it's hilarious.

Like the OP seems surprised someone had massive AP playing Five Tribes as though it wasn't a scientifically engineered experiment in causing AP.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 14, 2015

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

I have two friends who are notoriously slow. One lives interstate so I don't play with him much, the other one we just give a bit him a bit of poo poo every time we play. I occasionally feel a bit bad about it because it's like we're picking on him and he's just trying to not get destroyed when he learns a game but seriously.. it should not take 9 loving hours to play a 3 player game of Agricola and a 3 player game of Caverna even if you eat lunch in the middle.

I don't mind people having a bit of a think about options they understand mind you, it's just when someone is doing their best impression of Buriden's rear end except they don't even know enough about the game to tell whether the options are equal. If you have a decision to make between two things you don't properly understand then it doesn't actually matter which one you pick! Just do something and learn!

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Maybe I'm spoiled for choice but I straight up wouldn't play with those people. It gets old waiting for the smoker at our local group to have her 10 minute break and she's a nice person with addiction as an excuse.

Skipping out halfway through a game for no reason at all is incredibly rude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Among friends I use a 30 second Trivial Pursuit battery operated timer because it's simultaneously amusing and maddening. More practical and responsive than a sand timer, funnier too.