Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Outside of telling you to include all my favorite games and to remove every game I don't like, the only thing I think you should fix in the OP is adding a line to the Kemet write-up along the lines of "If you and your friends like Risk, try this." Also maybe namedrop Pandemic under either the Family section or the New To Gaming section because as little as I play it now it's still a very solid newbie game if everyone is learning together (and co-ops are really novel)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I really, really want to play Patchistory but I can't possibly justify buying another game right now and it'd never get played anyway (hurr durr welcome to board gaming *farts loudly*)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I feel Tokaido is a pretty thematic game; The art and pace do a good job relaxing you and making you feel like you're on a mini-vacation. But the game is bad so I really can't recommend it beyond that.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
By the time the FFG reprint comes out we'll already be on our next thread, which will have an Ugg-Tect theme.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

bobvonunheil posted:

Shut Up and Sit Down are talking up Doomtown now. Has anyone played this?

I haven't, but these people probably have: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3658929

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
My box looks just like that, lack of resealable bags and all. It was poo poo, but not quite as poo poo as Pressure Cooker's box.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Do most players scoff at randomness? I was under the impression most people here favored it in most cases, assuming that it determines your options, rather than determining your success.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

PRADA SLUT posted:

Of course, notwithstanding that there's just as much chance of something good on the flop as something lovely, and that either player has the exact same chances to have any given card flop
Oh come on

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Cthulhu Wars is also primed to have 17(!!!!!!!!) expansions, and I don't know about you but I can't see a game which has made an announcement like that and expect it to be remotely balanced.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ropes4u posted:

Early giftmas prize from my blushing bride. Seriously doubt I will win many games of Go against her, but it's low set up time replay ability means it will hit the table often.

This owns. Godspeed, gamer.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jabor posted:

Would you enjoy a mutual masturbation session while watching the Firefly tv show y/n

If I was looking for a game to play in under 40 seconds I'd be playing Love Letter

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Sentinels is the best game for killing any lingering childhood desire to grow up to be a superhero, since it makes you realize it's basically the same as being an accountant.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Madmarker posted:

NO. There are actually counters to that poo poo in magic. Decks at that power level exist in Legacy, but they are easily hated out. In Yugioh, there is little interplay between the decks, its only broken combo decks without any controls to stem the tide. Force of Will is often called the glue that holds legacy together, and I firmly believe that. It is a card that stops unfair strategies, like turn 1 or 2 combos while being relatively poor against fair decks (since it is inherent card disadvantage). Force of Will existing allows fair strategies (like Death and Taxes) to exist at high level in the metagame since they are quite good against it.

Fair isn't a thing, there's no such thing as "gaming with honor" or whatever. If a strategy exists there's nothing wrong with using it at a tournament level.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
That's an incredibly hilarious image, just some people huddled into a corner looking at the weirdo, who was their trusted companion moments ago but is now shoving cheese wheels and cans of beans into his cheeks and banging pots and pans together really loud.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Lord Frisk posted:

I want Petz

If this falls through for whatever reason, or someone else is looking to sell it, I also want Petz

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Dang, there's actually some decent games there. I might pick up Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small. Is Ghost Stories pretty simple to teach? I could use a decent "straight" co-op and I'm tired of Pandemic. The guy also made a game called Samurai Spirit but the release date keeps getting pushed back.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Oh dang, my bad. I might just pick that up instead, it seems super easy to explain as you play which is a huge plus for a co-op (for me at least, since I generally use them to play with more casual people)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Panic on Wall Street if the group is down with being shouty

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Play 8-player Dominion

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I dunno man but I figured putting a tiny, incredibly lovely quality picture of the internet troll man next to it would convey some level of insincerity (the joke, by the by, is that the manual says it supports up to 8 players despite that being a miserable play experience).

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Oh sorry for being sassy I figured that was common knowledge. Yeah in the manual for Intrigue (and possibly the Core Set replacement expansion) it literally says "now you can play 5-8 players, or play two games at once!" or something like that. It's hilarious.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

EBag posted:

I haven't liked it that much in Archipelago, though I've only played it a few times and only with 2 players. Most of our games have only last 3 or 4 rounds, sometimes 5 or 6, which isn't very long. There are also a lot of different goals, some of which are hard to interpret, so it's extremely difficult to guess what your opponent is doing and then to try and capitalize on it before the game ends. Then at the end of the game chances are you'll score top points on your goals and get second on theirs, so it's sort of rote. I'd still like to try this with more players before deciding but I don't know how it would go over, it definitely feels like it needs multiple plays before you can even start to really play the game.

Archipelago definitely has too many hidden objectives to work with two people, I agree, but I think it's fine with four or five (assuming everyone has access to a player aid so you don't have to memorize that poo poo).

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah assuming you mean auction as "players bidding greater and greater amounts for poo poo" Keyflower is tops. But if you mean shouty auctions the only one I can think of is Panic on Wall Street

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jedit posted:

If you like Keyflower you should try League of Six by Vladimir Suchy, who did Last Will. You have a circle of six towns each supplying goods of different types, guards and horses; the types can be chosen within limits, but the amounts vary each turn. You start by bidding guards to take the spot of your choice, with the winner paying the loser to move on. The catch is that the loser doesn't want to move too far, as moving also costs guards that you could be using to bribe someone else. Once everyone is in a town, you choose what you're going to get from it. Goods score points when used to fill orders, but horses let you choose which order will be filled first. The trick is that you get a bonus if your order is completed, you're under no obligation to pick an order you can fill, and if you can't fill an order yourself, everyone else has to fill it for you. So you can get screwed out of the goods you want and still score well while depriving other players of goods they need to achieve their own goals.

This sounds sick and brutal

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

bobvonunheil posted:

You're looking for Tanto Cuore.

But don't get it unless you want to perpetuate the stereotype of boardgamers being socially maladjusted shut-ins.

It's actually cool

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Lorini posted:

I have had an epiphany!!! (I know you guys can't wait to hear this)

Since I'm committed to playing games being the journey and the winning taking a significant back seat to that I am now OK with hidden goals.

That is all.

:woop:

I knew you'd come around. Now go! Go and play Troyes! It calls out to you, like a wronged, forgotten lover.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I played a self-teaching game of Samurai Spirit this afternoon! The game definitely has a cool "that was badass!" moment when poo poo lines up right. I can't remember the specific samurai names right now, but there was a moment where I passed the "fight two things" power to the "pass 2, 4, or 6" power guy and ended up shifting a 4 and a 6 to my right and left, triggering both of their Kiai. Felt real good. Definitely going to be a quarterback-y game, but there's environments where that works and it plays fast and is small (hooray easy transport) so it'll get some play I'm sure.

That said, it seems really easy to get a bad setup, either too hard or too easy. I only had 6 cards that caused Intruder fires in my first shuffle (12 by the end, since it was a 3 player game and I think all the Lieutenants and Bosses have it) so it just wasn't that scary to Support or even to pass my Kiai, but I could see it having been just the opposite where there were so many fire cards that Supporting wouldn't be viable at all. Obviously this alleviates itself with 5-7 players since you're gonna see most/all of the cards at that point, but with 2-4 it seems very possible to have a game where all your cards are 3s and 4s and you just die miserably no matter what you do.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Toshimo posted:

Hey, guys, remember when we all played that card game where we pretended we were edgy and cool and said stuff about farting and shoving things up our bums?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP0uDT7cQ50

Die normie scum

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Chomp8645 posted:

I think that if someone finds 7 Wonders overwhelming then they can find literally any game in the universe overwhelming. Maybe on an individual level some people might find it more difficult than Dominion or whatever else, but on the whole I think it's about as entry level as a game can get. Hell my mom thought that Catan was "too complicated and confusing" and even she loves 7 Wonders and got the hang of it after a practice game.

If someone can't grasp 7 Wonders then they're probably just never going to grasp tabletop games ever.

There's a serious difference between "can't comprehend" and "unwilling to learn," even if the person in question doesn't necessarily realize it. My mom has a Master's in mathematics, but the deepest game I've had success with for her is Carcassonne because it seems cute and plays fast. She's tried other things but becomes quickly disinterested, and now it's really clear that it's because lots of games just look daunting or nerdy, but what that means changes drastically from person to person.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Big Money is actually the most fun strat anyway, so base set and prosperity are all you need.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Went to my uni's club after mostly skipping last semester due to a big influx of people I just didn't care for. Got to actually play some good poo poo, including Samurai Spirit, Resistance w/ Reversers and the Lancelot kinda motherfuckers, and Terra Mystica.

SS was... unfortunate. We ended up losing in round 2 from all the cottages being destroyed, despite playing in a way that felt strong. Sure enough, I checked the deck after and we had 5 Cottage bandit cards in the entire thing, and we had 5 players so most of the cards were used. It just reminded me of that Vlaada (or was it DXV?) quote where he says your game needs to have specific rules in place to prevent those "one in a million" bad setups. This really soured two of the players, and the other two really only want to try again because they've played enough games with me to trust me when I said it was a fluke. I'll probably have to make my own setup rules in the future to prevent poo poo like this again.

Resistance was strong, as usual, but my partner spy ended up being one of the dudes who never talks and has no poker face so I had to do all the heavy lifting. We actually won because I managed to freak out the Good Reverser and had her play a Reverse on the final mission that only has passes on it, but it was honestly mostly luck at that point and really reminded me why I don't play with that group terribly often.

Terra Mystica was nice. I had only played it once before, and barely remembered it or what constituted a good strategy, but I did remember that Darklings were supposed to be The Good poo poo and I play to win motherfucker so I grabbed that poo poo and managed to take the game 101-93-75-68 (the 93 was the game's owner and a good friend of mine).

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Getting beat bad at a game and then challenging the person who beat you to a money match in the future is the mark of the true, honorable gamer.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Cosmic Encounter is a game for nerdy normies, and for that it must be crushed under the heel of True Gaming.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Magnetic North posted:

Oh my god, please tell me I've been reading the Tumblr thread too long and I can no longer tell the difference between a troll post and a real one. But, on the off chance this isn't a troll and I'm talking to some sort of sentient lichen permeating the pages of a cheeto-stained comic book draped over an unplugged keyboard, let me try and work with this metaphor:

You see, the prominent people in board game reviewing aren't actually the smartest and most worthy of that position: that would be the equivalent of Batman, the hero we deserve. He watched his parents get cut down in The Game Of Life and now has a Monopoly on pain. Only thematically rich and mechanically sound board games dare show their faces in Gotham. Unfortunately, just like in 52, Batman is absent.

Instead, those heroes are more like your friendly neighborhood Spiderman. Peter Parker got his powers entirely by chance when bitten by a radioactive spider. Well, our board game reviewing heroes also got where they are in part by good fortune, or at least partly by means other than just their game design knowledge. In this case, they got it because of their ability to make the content that works within YouTube's system. For Rahdo, it's his gift of gab so he makes entertaining videos and gets subscribers. For Rodney Smith, it's his commitment to excellence and neutrality and that garners subscribers. For Tom Vasel, it's just a pure numbers game: enough content and eyeballs will accrue subscribers. For SUSD, it's probably a little of everything. (Yes, a Fantastic Four metaphor might be more apt here, but let's go with this one.)

So, these board game reviewers are our street level heroes: they might not be the best or most righteous, but they'll do what they can to keep your wallets safe. Still, Spidey has ways of doing things, which the public doesn't always agree with. J. Jonah Jameson is one of them, a newspaper editor of The Daily Bugle. In this metaphor, JJJ is represented by SA board game grognards: old, crotchety, self absorbed, constantly seeking to destroy the 'menace' of Spiderman.

So, who does Spiderman fight? Doctor Octopus, The Green Goblin, et cetera. These are guys that pose a threat to the public good, but just aren't big enough to threaten anything more than that. These villains represent games are the bad, cheap drek that publishers churn out that an unsuspecting citizen might find has robbed them of their money. Harm can be avoided so long as Spiderman's there to help.

But what happens when Carnage shows up? In this case, Carnage represents Munckin: a bad game that continues to spawn other even worse games. Well, Spidey just can't fight him on his own: Carnage is far too strong and awful. He has to call in help from more powerful people. He could call up Iron Man. Tony Stark has no super powers, but instead of training his mind and body to perfection as Batman did, he drinks a lot of alcohol and uses his engineering prowess to build power suits that lets him fight crime. In this metaphor, this is Wil Wheaton of TableTop: still lacking the raw qualifications to be the true hero, but made more powerful with resources. Unfortunately for Spiderman, that's not always an option: Tony Stark is likes to do his own thing, and his own thing usually involves keeping Stark Industries afloat more than it does protecting the public from small-time crime.

If Iron Man's not answering Peter's calls, there are others. Maybe Doctor Strange or even Doctor Doom. The thing is that heroes of this power who can change reality at will aren't really on the same scale as Batman or Spiderman. These reality shapers don't represent game reviewers but rather well respected game designers. (Let's say Richard Garfield is Doctor Strange (duh) and Vlaada Chvátil is Doctor Doom. That'd be especially appropriate for this thread since everyone loves him so much he apparently never fails, and if he does it was really a Doombot.) The hope would be to get them to talk trash about bad games like Munchkin to hopefully exterminate the problem. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

But what if something even worse happened? What if Spiderman had to fight Galactus? Spiderman simply cannot fight the power cosmic. Galactus is as old as time and can never die. Those forces that survived the chaotic beginnings cannot be defeated. In this metaphor, Galactus is Cosmic Encounter: It's simply too old and too powerful to be defeated at this point. It's evergreen, even if it's awful. Also, let's say it turns out that Spiderman thinks Galactus is a cool guy with a sweet purple hat and he becomes the Herald of Galactus. So, Spiderman shows up but instead of saying, "All that you know, is at an end" he says, "Forty dollars will be teleported away from your pockets. In exchange, Galactus offers you endless replayability of this shallow gameplay and the ability to generate mirth between your friends." Would that really be so irresponsible of Spiderman?

Anyway, for those of you who don't need elaborate superhero metaphors, I think this thread is waaay too hard on reviewers for their likes and dislikes. These people are not prominent because they have PhDs in Mathematics: they're prominent because they fit into the systems of popularity on Youtube and to a lesser extent BGG. Just listen to what they have to say and their reasons why, then consider if those reasons would hold water to you. If the rationale does not meet your satisfaction, then hold off on any purchases. If it does, then give them all your bitcoins.

I hate this

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The day I learned that SUSD wasnt always a glowing beacon of traditional game info was the day Paul announced that DnD 4e just didn't feel like DnD .

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I enjoy the academic phenomenology that clearly influences Alexander's work, but I still disagree with practically every game opinion she has written for SUSD. I'm not familiar enough with her history to say more than that.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Does Wil Wheaton actually like more complex games? He can't just play Ticket to Ride and Catan for Kids all the time, right? Maybe he is using Tabletop as some trojan horse, like the TV show equivalent of a gateway game, and now that he has some momentum he'll sneak Space Alert or Battlestar or something else amazing in there. I think more complicated games could really benefit from a studio with actual editing and graphics and stuff.

A friend of mine, who is practically a genius when it comes to card games and has multiple national and world tournament wins under his belt, would die a happy man if he only ever played Catan and maybe 7 Wonders for the rest of his life. This world is so corrupt.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Man you people who have FLGS where you actually test board games are incredibly lucky, all mine just have board games packed in tightly against a wall for sale, and all the tables are used for MTG and Warhammer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Kai Tave posted:

Everyone please pledge to my upcoming Kickstarter for Zombies versus Homestucks: the Cthulhuing, to be released in a box cast from solid lead.

Tekopo posted:

Who doesn't like to crack a cold one once in a while.

These posts are good poo poo