Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

electrigger
Dec 18, 2005

so gay and you don't even like boys

ambushsabre posted:

I played Warhammer Diskwars once and now all I want to do is play again.

Mind writing up a bit about why you think its good? I'm on the fence about diving into this one and i've watched videos of it but it seems like it could potentially be rather shallow, I don't want to end up with a lemon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

electrigger
Dec 18, 2005

So I guess I'll post this trip report on Diskwars. Finally pulled the trigger on this one since I'm such a big fanboy for the Warhammer fantasy universe. It's pretty satisfying. Plays in about 1-2 hours once everyone knows the rules. It is essentially the tabletop wargaming experience stripped down and made to be able to fit in a tube of pogs. Have played two games so far, one where I closely beat one of my gaming friends and another where I lost horribly like 31-5 against my wife who managed to somehow pin 1/3 of my army under a Bloodthirster. Don't let 1/3 of your army get pinned under a Bloodthirster btw.

Actually collecting a real warhammer army and paying the requisite million dollars and million man hours of painting time doesn't appeal to me at all so I find the diskwars experience very enjoyable.

I only have a couple of criticisms. One, shooting seems like for lack of a better phrase: a crapshoot. Either you make good rolls and you manage to snipe key units off the board and secure a good position, or you roll bad and don't. From what I understand about the real Warhammer game this is an accurate simulation of what goes on.

The other is that the game looks like its ultra dead so if you are hoping for a local group to game with or even for some new expansions beyond what is already out I suppose you are just out of luck. The game is going to be one where I only get to play when others use my set, and this is a tragedy because this game would be freaking awesome in a league/tournament setting.

electrigger
Dec 18, 2005

I guess we're swapping 'getting into board gaming' stories now. Been gaming for a long time, mostly RPGs, things like munchkin and the like. Played Zombies!! and Betrayal at a friend's house once and even back then I had enough sense to hate those games for being random shitpiles. Also getting in and out of Magic the Gathering over the years. Whenever I would play games like this though I would always have a nagging feeling like surely this could be a little more fun, not drag as much and be more satisfying. Started learning about this 'eurogame' thing on SA threads and decided to have a go with Dominion.

Immediately after the first game my thought was essentially 'holy poo poo this is so much better than Magic it's not even loving funny'. One of my friends who played with us was a huge Magic nerd like 10 grand into the hobby and goes to tournaments and poo poo. After playing a few rounds of Dominion he went out and bought a set right away.

Couple of years later i'm angering my wife with a second bookcase purchase to support even more boxes full of printed cardboard and little wood cubes.

electrigger
Dec 18, 2005

Cosmic Encounter is a very regular game at my local board-gaming meetup. I managed to avoid is so far up until last night when I got roped and decided to just say "gently caress it" let's encounter some cosmics.

I just don't get why this gets busted out almost every time and sucks up several hours of people's lives. Now this group plays a variety of games, and are in the know about the state of modern designer board gaming. If I ever showed up and was like "hay guys let's play munchkin!!!" They would all balk. So i'm confused as to why so many people love this game since it's loving munchkin. So on my turn I pick up a random card that assigns me a random number to overcome, then I can plead with others to see if they will help me overcome said random number for rewards, and then other people can decide to gently caress me over from overcoming the random number? What the gently caress? The core gameplay of Munchkin front and center and no one cares?

I guess the difference is instead of everyone piling on the leader and then the person in 2nd place waltzing across the finish line unopposed is replaced by an endgame in which everyone is piled up on point 4 and refuses to help each other until a group decides to king-make themselves. Compelling.

Honestly I was surprised that I found myself not actively hating it the entire time, I had fun, but it was obviously the fun company and had nothing to do with the game.

I guess the appeal of CE is that if you play it, later you can have stories like 'Oh man that one time when you had the 40 card and no one knew, epic ownage!' Or, 'hee hee remember when Matt got to play the whiny aliens? FTW LMAO'

electrigger fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 22, 2015

electrigger
Dec 18, 2005

It is time. Although I'm a little disappointed I didn't get the old artwork version with the classic scowl.