Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

gschmidl posted:

Eklund: the Musk of board games?

Nah eklund did design some things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mayveena posted:

Where did you see that BGG is getting into blockchain?

I suspect they meant Kickstarter

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

radmonger posted:

Is there something actually unusual or weird along those lines he has written somewhere? Because the stuff actually linked is basically a summary of wiki articles that themselves summarise a lot of legitimate academic research and controversy, on which no side is either obviously right or, as far as I know, aligned with white supremacy.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_antisemitism

Yes. It's unusual, weird, and disgusting.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Very much so; it should be out of alpha on BGA before too too long, try before you buy?

(I love it, but the interaction is definitely in the blocking worker placement that you can get around, taking an island before someone else so they have to adjust to a different one, that sort of thing)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

nrook posted:

I think we all know what the only 7p recommendation must be.

Advanced Civilization?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

1889 hit 150k, goddamn. Tile trays!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

What about grumbling games like blackjack and poker

Razz is the biggest grumbling form of poker.

It's so good.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

El Fideo posted:

Honestly, the best way to get into the hobby these days is probably the game section at Target. Move past the party games and the IPs(and even some of those are really good) and they've got a pretty solid selection.

I would agree that having a section of "generally available at target and is good" might be a very helpful section.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Oh yeah for sure, no one is saying "never discuss kickstarters" just that the advice for new players getting into the hobby will be "generally avoid until you get a good sense of what you like and don't like"

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Malt posted:

I got two games for Christmas this year. The Great Zimbabwe and Pass the Pigs: Big Pig Edition.

The extreme difference amused me greatly, but I have fond memories of Pass the Pigs growing up and this is my first Splotter so I'm excited for both.

Pass the cows to Qamata

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

There's been quite a number of threads on BGG requiring a poo poo ton of moderation and bans discussing race and inclusivity in the last few years.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yeah my limited understanding was that neither side comparted themselves at all well.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Kiranamos posted:

Indian cultural issues continue to be glossed over by most/all of the board game community. Holi and Jaipur are ok all things considered. Rajas has a random Kali dice holder for reasons. The new Cranio Maharaja is one of the worst offenders by far, and you left out Ganesha which is just as bad. There are BGG threads for both if you’re interested.

After playing Rajas I went looking for that because I had a strong suspicion that it wasn't particularly sensitive, and I wasn't surprised to be right. The game is mediocre to boot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

bg 5e, huh