Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I made a thread about this topic a while ago in another forum, and I did not like the signal/noise ratio. As I'm sure you're all aware if you read the news, there were a series of protests in late summer/early winter in St. Louis, Missouri, about the death of an unarmed black teenager, Michael Brown, caused by a local police officer named Darren Wilson. This set off large demonstrations at multiple locations in the city and the country at large for around two weeks. Then, when the incident was investigated by a grand jury, they decided to not indict Officer Wilson, which caused another few days of civil unrest. I was fortunate enough to know both a St. Louis County police officer as well as have a friend on the committee that organized many of the protests. I decided to make this thread to help jog my memory for the Documenting Ferguson Project, which a reporter from NPR is helping me to contribute to this weekend. I have 14 GB of media, so if you ask I can probably provide. I picked the photos I liked the most below. Side note: if you ask me about my personal beliefs I will not respond because I would rather tell you the story without any spin. which is what the camera was for. There were also a few moments not captured on film that I can talk about as well.

All Pictures - https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:ListFiles/Loavesofbread&ilshowall=1
All Videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/gyroj3t/videos
My interview with KWMU - http://news.stlpublicradio.org/post/challenges-face-project-documenting-protests-ferguson

:siren:PLEASE BE CIVIL AND REMEMBER THIS IS NOT DEBATE AND DISCUSSION:siren:

Woof Blitzer fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Ytlaya posted:

What's the story behind the military dude shaking hands with the black guy?

He was a marine who came out to march with the protesters.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Michael Scott posted:

Isn't it illegal or at least highly frowned upon to protest in U.S. military uniform? Even if he is, as I assume, out of the military by now. So he's a former marine.

Also, I don't know if you talked with the 'protesters' or just took photos of them. Did you have a chance to speak with them, and what were the reasons they gave for supporting an indictment, against the grand jury's decision?

What did your friend say about his decision to help organize protests? Do you know why he wanted to do that?

It is prohibited by the UCMJ to participate in a protest in uniform. He may did not wear his name badge.
The protesters were dissatisfied with the performance of the police and the legal system in general.
My friend is a community organizer and was pretty active in student government (we went to the same high school). Also he is black so that helps.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

ShadowCatboy posted:

Could you elaborate more about the controversial grand jury decision? I've heard that there may have been either incompetence or malfeasance on the prosecutor's part when it came to how she handled things.

To me, as someone with no legal training whatsoever, it seems McCullough didn't actually try to act as a prosecutor so much as give the jury as much evidence as possible and then back away into a dark corner, which is probably due to his very long history of being 100% on the side of the police in every case he's done.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

JohnSherman posted:

What's the story here?

He has a stable a few blocks away so he brought his horse out to one of the marches.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Did you get any footage of the mob burning down the store mike brown robbed shortly before his death?

The store is not burned down and is still standing in business to this very day.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Michael Scott posted:

What does this even mean?

Sorry I was tired when I wrote that. There's a not a lot of police oversight here, coupled with the thuggish way in which the police were used as tax collectors. People would get arrested for something in one county, pay their bail, and get transferred to another county's jail for another offense, which was usually something very petty like failure to provide insurance or a license. The police's work accounts for a huge amount of revenue in many of these cities. And then of course there is the way the police have handled the protests, and the prosecutor, and...

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I was featured on the radio and online in an article today.

http://news.stlpublicradio.org/post/challenges-face-project-documenting-protests-ferguson

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Not a Children posted:

I want to hear what lawyers have to say about the whole situation. Almost everything I hear and see posted about this case from a legal perspective is white noise about what prosecutors/grand juries can, should, and won't do, but if the law was really so simple that the average person could declare that there was misconduct, we wouldn't have law schools.

I know just the person!

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

Yeah why should police have to deal with anything that the rest of the labor force is subject to?

Equine Don posted:

:siren:PLEASE BE CIVIL AND REMEMBER THIS IS NOT DEBATE AND DISCUSSION:siren:

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Vaall posted:

OP can you elaborate on how bassquitarhero lied about the KKK attempting to abduct him? He's seems like a pretty disingenuous person trying to exploit an already terrible situation much like Al Sharpton.

To me it's just unbelievable that someone would make that bullshit up. For one, St. Louis does have a KKK chapter like many major cities, but never once in recent history have they ridden around in a truck abducting black people. The Klan was not even in the area of Ferguson (ever), probably because they are really a bunch of cowards. I walked WITH HIM several times around the QuikTrip and the church. I would like to point out that Mr. Guitar Hero preferred to stay in his hotel room while the actual clashes with police took place. It's a pretty big slap in the face when I gave him a flash drive with all of my photos on it to use in his video, as well as introduced him to one of my friends to interview. But I suppose some people would rather embellish than tell the truth when the truth is already powerful enough, which I just cannot wrap my head around at all.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Dzhay posted:

Is "what's up with this?" too general a question for this thread? Because, if not: what's up with this?
(Please note: not American, may be missing something obvious)

You should read the other thread in this forum about the guy who went to prison. That's a little too far from the point of this thread though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

ActusRhesus posted:

thanks, but the fact he is mentally ill doesn't help in this case. I've had internet nutcases try IRL stalking me in the past and it wasn't fun.

Maybe I'll just lay low for a week or so rather than withdrawing all together. In the meantime, still happy to answer questions via pm.

He is a piece of poo poo and hopefully he will be permabanned soon. Please come back when you are ready.

• Locked thread