Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Lord Windy posted:

Why the fourth amendment and not the one about cruel and unusual punishments?
It wasn't punishment, it wasn't cruel, and it wasn't unusual. Which sort of rules out the 8th Amendment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Lord Windy posted:

Shooting someone from fleeing the police isn't a cruel and unusual punishment?
Nope, it's a kind of seizure. Specifically it's apprehension by lethal force.

It was already settled law that apprehensions were seizures, and that seizures of differing severities require differing levels of justification. So an argument that lethal force is an extreme seizure requiring extreme justification is much easier to make than an argument inventing a whole new kind of 8th Amendment violation.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

All of the above seems to be based on what common sense dictates two people in a stressful situation should do. Common sense doesn't seem like it was in abundant supply on the ground in Ferguson though.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

SedanChair ruins everything.

• Locked thread