Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Could you elaborate more about the controversial grand jury decision? I've heard that there may have been either incompetence or malfeasance on the prosecutor's part when it came to how she handled things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Lord Windy posted:

I don't live in America and I actively avoided the subject because it is my opinion that American's have a bad relationship with the police that colours any action they take. Can someone give me a summary of what happened without any spin one way or the other.

EDIT: My natural opinion would be to support the police 100%. I have never had a bad experience with the police and they are generally pretty reasonable even in our own police shows.

You should probably just watch this to get an idea of how black people and police officers all too often interact in the US.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Michael Scott posted:

As people who follow this sort of stuff know, that officer was immediately fired, arrested, and charged with felony assault; the trial is still ongoing.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/sean-groubert-former-south-carolina-trooper-charged-in-shooting/

This is a product of some states utilizing grand juries whereas others just go ahead and charge 'em.

Actually I'd say that the reason the cop was prosecuted so quickly was due to the presence of the dash cam. It's just so obvious the guy was just leaning into his car casually to retrieve his license, and any bullshit on the cop's part that it was some aggressive leap into his truck to possibly retrieve a weapon is bullshit.

• Locked thread