Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

corn in the bible posted:

Why did you buy it?

When I saw they were only releasing a demo for the 3DS version I had an inkling this game would be Sonic 06 quality. Target had a Buy 2 Get 1 sale going on so I picked it up. It's amazingly broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I've been wondering how the hell the 3ds version is. I haven't seen any footage of it, at all.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
The 3ds version is... better, for lack of a better word, but still not really good. It, at least feels more like a Sonic game than the WiiU incarnation.
It also forces a lot of backtracking, includes an even more insipid story somehow, and includes literally no reason for me to play it over any other handheld Sonic game.

Enjoying the LP, by the way. I dunno if Lost World is all that good of a game, but I personally enjoyed a lot of the ideas they put into it, even if the execution didn't always stick the landing. Seeing a variation of the parkour system here would be interesting in a future incarnation of the series that includes the boost mechanic.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Our second Zone is the Desert Ruins. I think this is a step down from the first world, but it's still pretty fun. The Circus game keeps evolving and we get one of the more controversial elements in the game.

Part 2 (Problematic Villains): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nIXG3T-VjY

Also check out my Superman 64 LP if you have a desire to see that particular mess: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3688694

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Some of the Zeti's names are not actually mentioned in game. So I will just name them all.

In order they are introduced.

Zavok the leader.
Zazz
Zomom
Zik
Zeena
Zor

Also one last fun little fact. After Eggman introduces them as the Deadly Six they are never called that in game again and are just called Zeti.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 19, 2014

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
I think this game should have been the reboot of the sonic series instead of '06. All they would have to do is take out the zeti. Hell it even has Robotnik going back to installing animals into his robots.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

I'm not a fan of this particular world, I think the 2D sections are a bit too dull for my tastes and the desert aesthetic in general is a bit uninteresting. That said, 2-2 and 2-3 are my favorite levels in the game even if the former is a glorified mach speed section.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Some of the Zeti's names are not actually mentioned in game. So I will just name them all.

In order they are introduced.

Zavok the leader.
Zazz
Zomom
Zik
Zeena
Zor

I watched an entire LP of this game and never noticed any of them had names.

Also, pancakes are a dessert in most countries other than the US.

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Dec 19, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
The one thing that bothers me more than anything about the Deadly Six is how anticlimactic their deaths are. When you beat a boss in a video game, whether it's Eggman or some other... thing, there should be some fanfare, some explosions, some victory music, something. There's nothing like that when Sonic wins a fight in this game, the Zeti just jump away and then the level just... ends. You don't even free a bunch of animals like in the Genesis games or every other level. At least Eggman always has the courtesy to get good and pissed off before swearing he'll get Sonic next time, these guys just yell about how it's dinner time and take off.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Pancakes can be used for dinner, at least if you celebrate Fat Tuesday like a lot of Catholics (aka Mardi Gras)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, I don't know where the story and gameplay are going from now on but so far I stand by my previous statement: this is what I imagine a modern Sonic game to look like. Eggman is funny, the levels are cartoony and whimsical (love the dessert bit), there's none of the faux-serious stupidity Sonic Adventure brought in: this is the kind of plot Sonic can be in and not feel terribly out of place.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The bees level looked like the best, fastest level yet. And gotta go fast is how Sonic should be, so I actually thought it looked super fun.

The rest of the game still looks kinda weak, but servicable. Just not as good as Colors. Nonetheless, I know nothing about this game apart from what I've been told, so I greatly appreciate the LP and will continue following. At least, you make this game look decent, I was told it was outright bad.

Also, you mention taking lessons from Sega about being nice about game overs. I can't think of a better company to learn from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09s-c2JVI40

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.
I'd buy this if it was on PC.

Heck, this must be the first Sonic game where the 3d sections outdo the 2d ones.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

From the desert to the coast. Sonic is forced into the shocking and unprecedented situation where he must get along with his nemesis Dr. Eggman. Can they co-exist? What will the Deadly Six throw at this fragile alliance next?

Part 3 (Yes, it has nice water): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hG-8xwmtK4&feature=youtu.be

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I think that one thing most people can agree is good about this game is the music.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bguy32 posted:

I think that one thing most people can agree is good about this game is the music.

It's really really good. It stands out less than in Sonic 06 because in Sonic 06 that was the only decent part of the game but I love the music in this.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Tropical Coast Zone 2 is my favourite level on the game, and what I'd argue as being one of its best designed. Its nice and open with a lot of space to explore whilst also being fast (by the game's standards), and the mechanic you use to fight the boss is actually taught in the level before you have to face him - with the addition then, as you note, of just being able to use the rocket to skip things if need be.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
You made a mistake. Eggman was always stealing the energy from their world. Zavok is pretty much using the machine to power him and the rest of the Zeti up while at the same time destroying Sonic's world.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I mentioned this in the other thread but the situation between Zik and Zavok might be one of the more interesting bits of characterization in this game, even if it's unintended, though it's hard to tell if it is. Zavok is clearly the leader and the superior, but he was taught by Zik, so even though he's the boss, he still doesn't want his master to bother himself dealing with this, and is always respectful to him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Stallion Cabana posted:

I mentioned this in the other thread but the situation between Zik and Zavok might be one of the more interesting bits of characterization in this game, even if it's unintended, though it's hard to tell if it is. Zavok is clearly the leader and the superior, but he was taught by Zik, so even though he's the boss, he still doesn't want his master to bother himself dealing with this, and is always respectful to him.

Master Zik is stated to have been the founder of the group, but passed leadership to Zavok.

Also fun fact that means nothing. The Zeti's ages.

Zavok 148 years old.
Zazz 127 years old.
Zomom 133 years old
Master Zik 1036 years old
Zeena 120 years old
Zor 112 years old

Pretty much Master Zik has been active a long time. Also despite what was said in the video there is really no old jokes about Zik.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Master Zik is stated to have been the founder of the group, but passed leadership to Zavok.

Also fun fact that means nothing. The Zeti's ages.

Zavok 148 years old.
Zazz 127 years old.
Zomom 133 years old
Master Zik 1036 years old
Zeena 120 years old
Zor 112 years old

Pretty much Master Zik has been active a long time. Also despite what was said in the video there is really no old jokes about Zik.

He constantly makes cliched jokes about young people? It's hard to hear in the video but in Zone 2 (and especially in 4) he makes lots of 'em.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
The Zetis all seem to be cartoonish stereotypes so far, and I love it. You have Zazz, the energetic crazy guy; Zomom, the fat, stupid guy; and now Master Zik, the old Asian sensei-styled guy. I'm really hoping one is a narcissist, we need a fop for this group.

Also, I really like the creativity behind the stages' crushed fruit turning into giant pillars of juice for Sonic to travel around in. Despite making me really thirsty for some reason, it just looks pretty cool.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

For the record, I'd totally watch a blind LP of Hulkamatt playing Sonic Adventure 2.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think the windchickens are from one of the original 2D Sonic games. Seems to be some recycled badniks, I could've sworn I saw an orbonaut on one of them clouds. Nice callbacks all around.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Digital Jello posted:

I'm really hoping one is a narcissist, we need a fop for this group.

Ironically that is the next one's trait.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
You didn't show off a single underwater section in 3-1, you should fix that!

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Ramos posted:

For the record, I'd totally watch a blind LP of Hulkamatt playing Sonic Adventure 2.

It wouldn't be blind - I just didn't like it that much. Hated Tails/Eggman sections so much.

Edit: and as far as SONIC ADVENTURE goes this is the only way I know how to play it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koZvLKLK5Mg

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 21, 2014

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
That Desert Dessert level has a Land Of Chocolate vibe going on for music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M06WDoc5xuY From about 0:30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG5RNFm_STE

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

anilEhilated posted:

I think the windchickens are from one of the original 2D Sonic games. Seems to be some recycled badniks, I could've sworn I saw an orbonaut on one of them clouds. Nice callbacks all around.

The windchickens are from Mushroom Hill in Sonic & Knuckles. A lot of the badniks here are recycled from old games. The motobugs (ladybug-bots) and the buzz bombers (wasps) are all the way back from Sonic 1, those yellow-and-black spiders in one of the levels earlier are from Chemical Plant in Sonic 2, and then there's the orbonaut you mentioned and the caterkiller that MassRafTer noted in one of the earlier videos.

(i know too much sonic trivia please send help)

The one thing I want to know is what sort of "magnetic fields" the Zeti make that makes them interesting to Eggman. I mean, the robots seem just as useless as ever, both before and after they're free from Eggman's control, aside from that one scene where they're all shooting at you at once, and I'm pretty sure a literal army would be effective if you had machine-controlling--powers or not.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
Also, the blue worm thing that was murdering you in the cactus circle is called Crawlton. That one's from Sonic 2.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

He constantly makes cliched jokes about young people? It's hard to hear in the video but in Zone 2 (and especially in 4) he makes lots of 'em.

I dunno how many old Hong Kong kung fu flicks you watched, but the dude fits the old martial arts master archetype to a t, right down to young whippersnappers having neither the experience nor the discipline to beat him. It's less an old person stereotype and more a kung fu master stereotype is what I'm saying.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

Yeah, can we get a link to his sound clips? I don't fault the LPers for talking over him, but I'm curious as to what he said and worried about spoilers if I go looking.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Valgaav posted:

Yeah, can we get a link to his sound clips? I don't fault the LPers for talking over him, but I'm curious as to what he said and worried about spoilers if I go looking.

I can't get sound clips but here are some lines from the deadly six members fought.

Master Zik

"Your time is almost over, brash hedgehog. I shall prepare for you a lesson in respect. A painful lesson"
"Prepare to be tested, young one."
"Your lesson begins now."
"The only reason you're seeing me is because I'm letting you!" (Says after he gets hit)

Here are some of the other lines said by Zazz and Zomom during their stages.

Zazz

"Better sharpen those spines, tough guy. 'Cause next on the menu is ME!"
"You're going home in a box!"
"I'm gonna skin you alive!"
"It's beatdown time!"
"Ooh, better run, Sonic! I'm gonna take this hedgehog down! Or the gang'll razz me 'till I'M blue!"

Zomom

"Wow! You're barely a snack!"
"Oh, man! I can't believe he's made it this far! He's gonna make me look bad... I mean worse! Is that even possible?!"
"My dinner is served!"
"You're small and fast but I'm big and slow! Hey, wait. You better not make fun of my size. It's hurtful!"
"hmm... you look like a giant blueberry. All nice and juicy. I hope those spines don't stick in my throat when I swallow him whole!"

All Zeti also have a little descriptor that more or less explains their personality

Crazy for Carnage, Zazz
Hungry for Destruction, Zomom
Fear the Wisdom, Master Zik

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 21, 2014

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

TwoPair posted:

The one thing I want to know is what sort of "magnetic fields" the Zeti make that makes them interesting to Eggman. I mean, the robots seem just as useless as ever, both before and after they're free from Eggman's control, aside from that one scene where they're all shooting at you at once, and I'm pretty sure a literal army would be effective if you had machine-controlling--powers or not.

From what I've picked up through the story so far, Eggman is less interested in the Zeti than he is in the Lost Hex, the world we're on. The Zeti are the current inhabitants/bad guys of this world, and were an obstacle that Eggman removed and turned into an asset by controlling them through the conch. Eggman's real purpose here was to drain the Lost Hex of it's life energy for his own uses, but that's now been co-opted by the Zeti and they have turned the device on Eggman's/Sonic's world for their purposes.

Now, I haven't played the game so it's possible that there's something revealed later on that contradicts this, but that's the way it seems to be so far.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Onean posted:

From what I've picked up through the story so far, Eggman is less interested in the Zeti than he is in the Lost Hex, the world we're on. The Zeti are the current inhabitants/bad guys of this world, and were an obstacle that Eggman removed and turned into an asset by controlling them through the conch. Eggman's real purpose here was to drain the Lost Hex of it's life energy for his own uses, but that's now been co-opted by the Zeti and they have turned the device on Eggman's/Sonic's world for their purposes.

He was actually stealing his worlds life energy not the Lost Hex. Lost Hex is just pretty much a base for him after he found it.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

MonsterEnvy posted:

He was actually stealing his worlds life energy not the Lost Hex. Lost Hex is just pretty much a base for him after he found it.

Huh, so it is. I could have swore he mentioned otherwise, but apparently I'm misremembering.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Onean posted:

Huh, so it is. I could have swore he mentioned otherwise, but apparently I'm misremembering.

Well there is a reason he cares about draining it dry.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Dec 22, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The Lost Hex will never be explained or referred to ever again, don't expect it to be.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

HulkaMatt posted:

Edit: and as far as SONIC ADVENTURE goes this is the only way I know how to play it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koZvLKLK5Mg

:psyduck:
360 version? This made me realize that I've never played Sonic Adventure on anything other than a Dreamcast, and it's super jarring to not see a pause as it loads the second half of the stage! Ah, I miss the sweet RRR-RRRRR-RRR of a Dreamcast loading...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

you were warned posted:

:psyduck:
360 version? This made me realize that I've never played Sonic Adventure on anything other than a Dreamcast, and it's super jarring to not see a pause as it loads the second half of the stage! Ah, I miss the sweet RRR-RRRRR-RRR of a Dreamcast loading...

They re-released SA and SA2 on 360, PS3, and PC a few years back. They're also super cheap( 4 and 5 bucks respectively) on PC right now because steam sale.

• Locked thread