Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Final boss was only two cycles because you hit him with a full power homing attack when he was flopping around. The boss would have been 4 or 5 cycles had you not.

This makes me feel less crazy because I was almost positive he'd taken 3 cycles in the past. I can't imagine not using any charge whatsoever, how do people even get to this point in the game without knowing that?

Ramengank posted:

Pretty sure Tails just dressed up to look the part and made himself a laser hand cannon. He wasn't actually a robot ever.

If that's true how'd he make his eyes change color like that?

Wild Knight posted:

Captain Toad next? Well, you better make sure you grab your adventuring toolkit complete with headlamp and Toad Brigade membership cards. I'd link it but I'm on my phone at the moment.

So this Eggman fight is basically a remake of the one in Sonic Colors. Very similar attacks, same endless running setup, you attack the same way, by chaining homing attacks up his body... You can even completely trivialize both fights by attacking again right after hitting him. If you fight him without doing that extra homing attack, he takes four or five rounds, which feels a little more climactic. Still, I like it. It's nice to cap things off with a proper Dr. Eggman fight after a whole game of the kinda lame Deadly Six.

Great job with the LP, you really gave this game a good shake. Looking forward to the bonus videos. And Captain Toad. I need to finish that myself.

I don't even know if Captain Toad can make a good LP but I love it so much I have to try. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

If that's true how'd he make his eyes change color like that?

Dude reprogrammed a supercomputer with a toothpick and some dish detergent, I wouldn't put 'inventing color changing contacts' beyond him.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I like the how the game assumes Eggman "dies" from the fall to the lava and then Sonic intentionally attempts to do the same thing again by sabotaging his jetpack. I guess he wanted to finish the job properly.

Also what the heck actually happened to the Zeti? Did Sonic annihilate them from existence?

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jan 21, 2015

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

WaltherFeng posted:

I like the how the game assumes Eggman "dies" from the fall to the lava and then Sonic intentionally attempts to do the same thing again by sabotaging his jetpack. I guess he wanted to finish the job properly.

Also what the heck actually happened to the Zeti? Did Sonic annihilate them from existence?

That was just a cliff over the planet. There's no fall damage in the Sonic universe, but lava is lethal.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

But there's clearly moustache damage. :colbert:

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
Rated 1 for no Nightmare Zone :colbert:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

WaltherFeng posted:

I imagine that they're deaths are left vague intentionally so that they could easily be left to rot or used again in future games.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Geostomp posted:

I imagine that they're deaths are left vague intentionally so that they could easily be left to rot or used again in future games.

But if they are never seen again would that imply this is the first time Sonic actually killed a living being?

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

So who was actually watching the videos?

For the Tails thing: We literally saw Tails unshackle himself in the previous cutscene featuring him. It should have been obvious that he wasn't harmed and set up the whole thing while he wasn't being watched.

For the Zeti thing: In this very video, Eggbotnik says he's going to look for another conch and take control of the Zeti again. Boom. They're not dead.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I've always assumed the Zeti is a race, not limited to the Deadly Six.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jan 21, 2015

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
From what I saw of the 3DS version after the Final Zeti fights they just fly away again. So I am guessing they are alive. Still it would have been nice to have some closure on them instead of just a line after each of their defeats.

For Fun here is the final lines of each Zeti

Zazz

"The boss is gonna beat me!"

Zomom

"Mom was right, I'm a failure!"

Master Zik

"You've beaten an old man, are you proud?"

Zeena

"I can't believe I lost to a boy!"

Zor

"In this pain I finally find comfort!"
"I long for death's cold embrace!"

Zavok

"This is the first time ever that I reached full power..."

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cheez posted:

So who was actually watching the videos?

For the Tails thing: We literally saw Tails unshackle himself in the previous cutscene featuring him. It should have been obvious that he wasn't harmed and set up the whole thing while he wasn't being watched.

For the Zeti thing: In this very video, Eggbotnik says he's going to look for another conch and take control of the Zeti again. Boom. They're not dead.

He didn't unshackle himself on screen he used the toothpick to reprogram the computer. He may have been able to free himself or he may just have been able to reprogram the machine to his own specifications. He even uses his tail to do it because his arms aren't free.

I also really appreciate all of the Zeti scripts!

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

He didn't unshackle himself on screen he used the toothpick to reprogram the computer. He may have been able to free himself or he may just have been able to reprogram the machine to his own specifications. He even uses his tail to do it because his arms aren't free.

I also really appreciate all of the Zeti scripts!

Well whatever. It was implied he did a thing to make the bad thing not happen and it's been a few days, but I still remembered that detail.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012

Dresh posted:

Wait, you know you can lightdash with Hover right? Just use the dash feature toward a line of rings. Admittedly, I had no idea either until I saw it mentioned in the Games thread.

It's pokecapn all over again.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons
I know a lot of people have complained about the attempt at drama with Tails in this game, but for some reason I just love it. He's spent 20+ years being angelically nice to pretty much everyone (even Eggman, most of the time).

And suddenly, he is just so loving angry, and it's amazing.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I recorded a bunch of Super Sonic levels and learned some things I didn't know. I also learned that using Super Sonic after playing through the main game again as extensively as I just did has a learning curve to it.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Ars Arcanum posted:

I know a lot of people have complained about the attempt at drama with Tails in this game, but for some reason I just love it. He's spent 20+ years being angelically nice to pretty much everyone (even Eggman, most of the time).

And suddenly, he is just so loving angry, and it's amazing.

I like that they're giving Tails more personality (the one thing I like about Sonic Boom is that it went to the trouble of making everyone a distinct character instead of them just blandly supporting Sonic), but they did take it a little too seriously with so little development. If they'd have just paced it better and given some real payoff, it'd be fine. As is, it just comes off as forced.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Geostomp posted:

I like that they're giving Tails more personality (the one thing I like about Sonic Boom is that it went to the trouble of making everyone a distinct character instead of them just blandly supporting Sonic), but they did take it a little too seriously with so little development. If they'd have just paced it better and given some real payoff, it'd be fine. As is, it just comes off as forced.

Fair enough, it does seem rather out of nowhere. I don't think the writing is nearly as bad as Keith and Kyle ranted about in their LP, but the plot/dialogue stuff does seem sort of jumpy and rushed in this game. Things seemed a lot smoother in Colors and Generations.

It definitely could've been done better. But it still cracks me up that Tails is all "gently caress you, Sonic; gently caress you Eggman; and gently caress you, Deadly Six or Zeti or whatever the gently caress you're called." Like he's not even the least bit scared or distressed he got kidnapped, he's just like "y'all are bitches and poo poo. Gonna turn me into a robot slave? Never heard that one before, nope not ever."

It's such a change from before, when the most we ever got was an exasperated look/scowl or mildly sarcastic comment.

I also like the continuing trend of Amy and Knuckles only kind of popping in here and there (and the absence of Shadow, Rouge, Cream, etc.). What a relief not to have a shitload of baggage characters.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Ars Arcanum posted:

Fair enough, it does seem rather out of nowhere. I don't think the writing is nearly as bad as Keith and Kyle ranted about in their LP, but the plot/dialogue stuff does seem sort of jumpy and rushed in this game. Things seemed a lot smoother in Colors and Generations.

It definitely could've been done better. But it still cracks me up that Tails is all "gently caress you, Sonic; gently caress you Eggman; and gently caress you, Deadly Six or Zeti or whatever the gently caress you're called." Like he's not even the least bit scared or distressed he got kidnapped, he's just like "y'all are bitches and poo poo. Gonna turn me into a robot slave? Never heard that one before, nope not ever."

It's such a change from before, when the most we ever got was an exasperated look/scowl or mildly sarcastic comment.

I also like the continuing trend of Amy and Knuckles only kind of popping in here and there (and the absence of Shadow, Rouge, Cream, etc.). What a relief not to have a shitload of baggage characters.

I dunno, I'm getting to like Amy and Knuckles more with their Sonic Boom personalities. Amy actually having a personality that doesn't depend entirely on fawning over Sonic (with a voice that doesn't sound like Minnie Mouse) is a huge improvement. Knuckles I like a bit less since they overplay the "dumb muscle" card, but it's more than he's had in a long while and being newly huge makes him stand out a bit more.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Geostomp posted:

I dunno, I'm getting to like Amy and Knuckles more with their Sonic Boom personalities. Amy actually having a personality that doesn't depend entirely on fawning over Sonic (with a voice that doesn't sound like Minnie Mouse) is a huge improvement. Knuckles I like a bit less since they overplay the "dumb muscle" card, but it's more than he's had in a long while and being newly huge makes him stand out a bit more.

I haven't seen Sonic Boom yet. If they're more developed, I'll probably like them fine. I've liked them both in the past here and there, just not when they're essentially shoved into games solely because they exist and the developers feel like they have to or whatever.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Geostomp posted:

Apparently it's the same voice actor for Amy.

Ars Arcanum posted:

I haven't seen Sonic Boom yet. If they're more developed, I'll probably like them fine. I've liked them both in the past here and there, just not when they're essentially shoved into games solely because they exist and the developers feel like they have to or whatever.

I like it, it's rather funny.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 23, 2015

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Ars Arcanum posted:

Tails.mp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTOKJTRHMdw

The "you're cool" in this scenario is Tails pointing to Orbot and Cubot.

Geostomp posted:

Knuckles' new personality is perfect since the writers realized that for years now, Knuckles has been in a perpetual cycle of losing the one thing he's supposed to protect (Master Emerald) and getting tricked by Eggman and others into fighting Sonic. He's been dumb as hell for years now, so they might as well play it for laughs.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It's my understanding that the personalities from the sonic boom show/game are pretty good, it's just that the designs themselves are bandages terrible. Also the game makes 2006 seem well constructed.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Kurieg posted:

It's my understanding that the personalities from the sonic boom show/game are pretty good, it's just that the designs themselves are bandages terrible. Also the game makes 2006 seem well constructed.

It just got a patch that fixes some of the major known issues, not sure how much it improves the game though. It was so broken and awful when I played it at launch that I figured I'd wait to LP it, so after Captain Toad I'll probably go through it and see if it is any better.

Tails might be a bit odd in this game but in the end he's proven right so his anger is justified. Sonic trusted Eggman which is dumb and didn't even need to trust him, he just needed more faith in Tails.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Kurieg posted:

No it doesn't. Boom is a lovely game and has it's bugs, but there is nothing as bad as the poo poo that you see in 2006.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

MassRafTer posted:

Tails might be a bit odd in this game but in the end he's proven right so his anger is justified. Sonic trusted Eggman which is dumb and didn't even need to trust him, he just needed more faith in Tails.

Even if it is very light, this is the kind of character development and examination that the Sonic series has been sorely lacking since the Adventure games. 2006 overdid it of course, but I'd say that Lost World struck a decent balance between the kiddie demographic that Sega is pushing Sonic back towards now and those of us who grew up with Sonic & the gang and know the characters.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
While I'm totally on board with Knuckles being kind of an idiot\one track mind I think they overdid it a bit in Boom. Too much stupid.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

If the show is anything to go by, Sonic Boom changed the "hopelessly obsessed with Sonic" character from Amy or Tails to Eggman, as it always should have been. Eggman is at his best, not when he's blowing up the moon, building a theme park in his image or enslaving some ancient monster(s), but when he's just being a bastard to Sonic and friends because he just hates that hedgehog.

There is nothing he loves more than hating that hedgehog.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Eggman is the true hero of the series, constantly building robots so the blue public menace gets distracted wrecking them.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Eggman is always the best character in any Sonic game but his Sonic Boom incarnation is pretty great even by usual Eggman standards. Eggman is one of the very few parts of Sonic Boom that I genuinely like. I actually laughed a little bit at the post ambush ambush.

He's just so delightfully cheerful about his hatred of Sonic in that game and doesn't even try to pretend that he's not hamming it up for the fun of it.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Neruz posted:

Eggman is always the best character in any Sonic game but his Sonic Boom incarnation is pretty great even by usual Eggman standards. Eggman is one of the very few parts of Sonic Boom that I genuinely like. I actually laughed a little bit at the post ambush ambush.

He's just so delightfully cheerful about his hatred of Sonic in that game and doesn't even try to pretend that he's not hamming it up for the fun of it.

It's the same kind of behavior that's worked for Bowser for years now, so you can see why Eggman's being taken more in that direction.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah but Eggman can emote and gets proper voice acting so he's much more entertaining than Bowser outside of the RPGs. (RPG Bowser is brilliant.) Eggman's character is just perfect for hilariously over the top giant evil ham performances so I'm quite glad that's the direction he's going in. One of the few redeeming features of Boom, but a pretty strong one imo.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Neruz posted:

Yeah but Eggman can emote and gets proper voice acting so he's much more entertaining than Bowser outside of the RPGs. (RPG Bowser is brilliant.) Eggman's character is just perfect for hilariously over the top giant evil ham performances so I'm quite glad that's the direction he's going in. One of the few redeeming features of Boom, but a pretty strong one imo.

It also helps that the other characters in the series can talk as well, so he has people to play off of. Mario isn't exactly known for his comedic or dramatic range with his two emotions, so Bowser really has to pick up the slack when they "talk".

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

TwoPair posted:

Tails.mp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTOKJTRHMdw

The "you're cool" in this scenario is Tails pointing to Orbot and Cubot.

I'm seriously kind of surprised that Tails has never taken the "going to build myself some friends" route since his real friends are generally such a bunch of idiots and screw-ups.

Now I'm actually looking forward to seeing Boom based on what people are saying. Eggman being all obsessed reminds me of Robotnik in the old cartoons, which was pretty much the only reason to watch them (though I never managed to get into the SatAM one, it was just too over the top for me).

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Ars Arcanum posted:

I'm seriously kind of surprised that Tails has never taken the "going to build myself some friends" route since his real friends are generally such a bunch of idiots and screw-ups.

Now I'm actually looking forward to seeing Boom based on what people are saying. Eggman being all obsessed reminds me of Robotnik in the old cartoons, which was pretty much the only reason to watch them (though I never managed to get into the SatAM one, it was just too over the top for me).

they're insane, eggman spends most of the game offscreen while sonic and friends wander through empty levels and fight a big snake-man.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

they're insane, eggman spends most of the game offscreen while sonic and friends wander through empty levels and fight a big snake-man.

I think people were talking about the cartoon and not the awful game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Golden Goat posted:

I think people were talking about the cartoon and not the awful game.

Neruz posted:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The name of the Cartoon is also Sonic Boom, and it takes place in the same universe. It also doesn't have the stupid snake demon I'm led to believe. So we get maximum Eggman screen time.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

I plan to check out both the game and the show. Because I'm a grown woman who occasionally passes her time watching children's cartoons...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah there's not enough of Eggman in the game but he's still great whenever he does show up.

• Locked thread