Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
There's not enough of Eggman in THIS game either.

I suppose it's what happens when his unstable otherworldly power source du jour breaks free in the first act instead of the final stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
So what you're saying is that every game needs a PA system.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
I didn't get too long a chance to play Sonic Boom, but the only disappoint I actually found with it were the graphics. After seeing a beautiful, cartoony-inspired game like Lost World, it was like Boom not only took a step down, but fell down the whole flight of stairs. I read up on the bugs and am definitely reminded of Sonic 06.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Time to upgrade this LP with the power of the Chaos Emeralds! Let's see just what Super Sonic can do, what he can't do, how he can break things and maybe not break some other things. I hope you like hearing the theme music!

Part 12 (Super Sonic): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBHeV0IlKmQ

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

That's some pretty unenergetic super sonic music but at least it's got a fairly long loop so it doesn't grind into your brain. They've done so much worse in recent years

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
Sonic 4 music in general is samey, sterile and meh.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons
Super Sonic seems kind of underwhelming after the hassle of getting all the red rings. Still, I don't get the rampant hate the game has garnered from some people; it doesn't really seem bad at all. The Zeti are kind of annoying (and the random stripy horns make me cringe because it reminds me of Homestuck), but overall it looks cute and seems fun.

Also, looked at some of Sonic Boom (the game). I swear it would be 90% better if the characters stopped babbling stupid (mostly) flavor text the entire time. I realize they have little kids in mind and a lot of people complained about Lost World not really giving directions, so having the characters say instructions/hints now and then might be helpful. But god drat, overkill and bad writing.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Ars Arcanum posted:

Super Sonic seems kind of underwhelming

welcome to every sonic game ever

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Ars Arcanum posted:

Super Sonic seems kind of underwhelming after the hassle of getting all the red rings. Still, I don't get the rampant hate the game has garnered from some people; it doesn't really seem bad at all. The Zeti are kind of annoying (and the random stripy horns make me cringe because it reminds me of Homestuck), but overall it looks cute and seems fun.

Also, looked at some of Sonic Boom (the game). I swear it would be 90% better if the characters stopped babbling stupid (mostly) flavor text the entire time. I realize they have little kids in mind and a lot of people complained about Lost World not really giving directions, so having the characters say instructions/hints now and then might be helpful. But god drat, overkill and bad writing.

I think it mostly comes from the fact that the series had gathered a bad reputation since the Dreamcast years and people just immediately rage about the latest game being an insult to their childhoods. This game being kind of hard to figure out and the plot/humor being lackluster ensured that it didn't win over extras. That, and it came out after the best 3D Sonic and seems poor in comparison.

Alien Arcana posted:

welcome to every sonic game ever

And yet fanboys always demand it for some reason.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Alien Arcana posted:

welcome to every sonic game that isn't Sonic 3 & Knuckles

Super Sonic's pretty great and Hyper Sonic is like a tactical nuke on legs.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Ars Arcanum posted:

I think most of the reason it's bad is actually because Sonic has blue arms.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well Sonic Boom the show just had it's highlight. Which I pretty much say makes up for the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBkc5A3QhAA

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Actually, I remember really liking being Super Sonic in the first three games.

Also, my expectations for plot and humor are never terribly high for Sonic games. I know I'm in the minority, but I didn't even like Sonic Adventure because I thought the plot was stupid and contrived, and to me it was the start of a long series of grating voice actors and ridiculous lines. The only ones I've really liked since the Genesis games have been Unleashed (kind of), Colors and Generations (cute but not nauseating), and Lost World (a bit weak but still entertaining).

Characterization and plot don't strike me as Sega's strong suits, especially after the abject trainwreck that was 2006 and the stupidity that was Shadow. I'm trying to watch MassRafTer's LP of 2006 now, but it's really a chore (not MassRafTer's fault, just the game itself is so :downs: and :barf:).

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Cheez posted:

I think most of the reason it's bad is actually because Sonic has blue arms.

He has a snazzy scarf though?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The Hidden World, featuring one of the weirdest bosses in video game history. At least I thought it was weird. Four levels that were test beds for ideas Sonic Team had during development. One is kind of lame, the rest are pretty fun, so come for that, the circus and we'll see you soon for CAPTAIN TOAD! In the mean time there's always Superman 64: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3688694

FINAL (Hidden World): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDwQm3Xt7Aw

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

The 3 ball gives you a third character for that circus round.

Ometeotl fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 28, 2015

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well Sonic Boom the show just had it's highlight. Which I pretty much say makes up for the game.

So is the plot of both this show and this game that Tails has forgotten he can fly?

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Wow, that is definitely the best possible final boss for Sonic: Lost World.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Ars Arcanum posted:

So is the plot of both this show and this game that Tails has forgotten he can fly?

i've been tricked. i was told they made this canon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFe6kEE5upo

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Hidden world looks kind of like scrapped ideas for this game's take on what would've been special stages.

Still voting 1 and unsubscribing for the lack of Nightmare Zone

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Ometeotl posted:

The 3 ball gives you a third character for that circus round.

Yeah, it looks like it gave you the head of the other robot to shoot, but since you didn't notice, it fell to the ground and was lost right away.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Huh. That was...that was certainly a set of levels. I like it when games aren't afraid to branch out from the usual settings to get trippy nonsense like that.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]

Cheez posted:

Hidden world looks kind of like scrapped ideas for this game's take on what would've been special stages.

Still voting 1 and unsubscribing for the lack of Nightmare Zone

Is there even any way to get that poo poo if you didn't preorder the game? Is it a preorder bonus?

Gothsheep posted:

Yeah, it looks like it gave you the head of the other robot to shoot, but since you didn't notice, it fell to the ground and was lost right away.

tbf it is stupidly difficult to notice anything going on with all the flickies flying everywhere.

This is a very weird zone and a very weird note for the game to go out on, but it is what it is I guess! :shrug: Good LP!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

MonsterEnvy posted:

This is amazing :allears:

The Sonic Boom game is still poo poo, but I am now 100% behind the reboot.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Wild Knight posted:

Is there even any way to get that poo poo if you didn't preorder the game? Is it a preorder bonus?
Not preorder, but the download code is only bundled in with the Deadly Six edition. Maybe someone on the internet has one to give up, I don't know.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cheez posted:

Not preorder, but the download code is only bundled in with the Deadly Six edition. Maybe someone on the internet has one to give up, I don't know.

The code was only valid for a year and unfortunately my copy showed up two days after it expired. It's not available on the eshop, at least not in the same place the other DLC is.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

You should still be able to redeem the code. I got the deadly six edition last week and it still worked.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

You should still be able to redeem the code. I got the deadly six edition last week and it still worked.

It's silly I never just tried it myself because you are right. The LP isn't over, there will be one more update!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

I hope Cheez is happy. Nights! Sonic! Bosses! Weird poo poo.

FINAL FINAL (Nightmare Zone): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrWJtNQEatc

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

That hidden world and the DLC was awesome.

I wish that Tornado segment was used for the Emeralds a la the classic series instead of the Red Rings, that looked like a lot of fun.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

That boss rush looked incredibly unsatisfying.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Nihilarian posted:

That boss rush looked incredibly unsatisfying.

It's very underwhelming if you were one of the people who bought this game at launch and was hoping it would be an actual NiGHTS themed level. I don't even understand why they made it a boss rush, I guess so they could have an excuse to show off these admittedly cool boss designs? They even have the framework to make a good level, between the rings, blue chips, and background scenery. Hell, they could have taken the controls from that one tornado level and it would have been fine. More substantial than this, at any rate.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Bellmaker posted:

That hidden world and the DLC was awesome.

I wish that Tornado segment was used for the Emeralds a la the classic series instead of the Red Rings, that looked like a lot of fun.

One of the GBA games actually had something like that for the special stages. I think it was 3.

Also, that DLC looked pretty neat. I guess there was only so much they could do with the theme without having to spend a lot of money to make it. There really isn't much to work with in NiGHTS anyway, besides the visuals of the stages.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Disappointed that there wasn't much "level" to it, but what there was there in the form of the boss fights looked fantastic. I wouldn't mind a new Nights game either, if they brought back the classic gameplay.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cheez posted:

Disappointed that there wasn't much "level" to it, but what there was there in the form of the boss fights looked fantastic. I wouldn't mind a new Nights game either, if they brought back the classic gameplay.

How is Nights without the 3D controller? I'm really in the mood to finally use my Saturn.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

How is Nights without the 3D controller? I'm really in the mood to finally use my Saturn.

Probably just a little difficult? I can't test it personally since I'm missing the video cable right now.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

MassRafTer posted:

You're probably best off getting the HD re-release, which is a port of the previously Japan only PS2 re-release to the now last-gen consoles and Steam, have the benefits of still using an analog stick, and graphics that aren't from the stone age! Unless you want them, because that's an option too.

As for this game, it's a shame there wasn't a Reala fight, but it is nice to see a boss rush where the bosses get a bit of a remix.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Nights is really weird in that Sega obviously wanted it to be a big thing (I mean, they made a special controller for the Saturn for it and everything) and it got really good sales at the time of its release, but then instead of running the franchise into the ground like some of their other properties *glance at Sonic '06, they just stuck Nights in cameos all over other games (generally Sonic ones). Then there was that one subpar Wii game you mentioned and other than that it's back to cameos.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Oblivion4568238 posted:

You're probably best off getting the HD re-release, which is a port of the previously Japan only PS2 re-release to the now last-gen consoles and Steam, have the benefits of still using an analog stick, and graphics that aren't from the stone age! Unless you want them, because that's an option too.

As for this game, it's a shame there wasn't a Reala fight, but it is nice to see a boss rush where the bosses get a bit of a remix.

That's probably a better idea but I do like bad ideas so I am conflicted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010
Wait, this DLC is available from the beginning of the game? Does that mean it'll sorta kinda spoil most of the boss fights?

• Locked thread