Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

Possibly a dumb question; but about ready to start posting ITT and just realised, you guys are all doing goals for the financial year aren't you, not calendar. I'm in Australia so fin year is July 1 to June 30 but ive mentally been doing goals for calendar year

it's a Jan-Dec thing, I'm guessing the 2016 thread will start up in a couple weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

Possibly a dumb question; but about ready to start posting ITT and just realised, you guys are all doing goals for the financial year aren't you, not calendar. I'm in Australia so fin year is July 1 to June 30 but ive mentally been doing goals for calendar year

For most people I believe fiscal year and calendar year are the same. Regardless, I assume most everyone in here is posting goals based on a calendar year (I know I am)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Sundae posted:

2015 Goals: (In order of priority, highest to lowest)

#1 - Under no circumstances have children or buy a house.
#2 - Pay down $45,000 of principal on my wife's student loans. Stretch Goal: Pay off the remaining $14K too, and be debt-free!
#3 - Grow side-business income by 33% ($91K revenue). Stretch Goal: Grow side-business income by 75% ($121K revenue).
#4 - Do one stress-reduction activity every month (massage, art therapy, whatever). This might not seem like a financial goal, but I stressed myself out in 2014 to the point of medical intervention and was unable to run my side-biz for five months. It's better for my careers if I stay sane.
#5 - Keep or lose my day job as best fits the monetary goals above.

#1 - On track. Side-benefit of my wife having hip surgery in December: She's not going to let me anywhere near her, so I'm basically safe on the kids thing.
#2 - STRETCH GOAL COMPLETE.
#3 - BASIC GOAL COMPLETE. I'm not going to hit my stretch goal, but I'm at $93K at end of November for side-biz income.
#4 - On track. In November, I went bowling and painted pottery.
#5 - Keeping my day job so that my wife has insurance for her upcoming hip surgery. Still applying and interviewing elsewhere.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Sundae posted:

#1 - On track. Side-benefit of my wife having hip surgery in December: She's not going to let me anywhere near her, so I'm basically safe on the kids thing.

Are you sure you had to break your wife's hip to not have children?!?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

I run my goals CY because it makes sense to me.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

spwrozek posted:

Are you sure you had to break your wife's hip to not have children?!?

Abstinence-only works way better when you maim one of the parties involved! :haw:

(She's having hip dysplasia surgery. They're breaking the hip in five places, reshaping it and screwing it back together until it heals. Poor girl. :()

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Hope she gets healed up quickly!

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Omne posted:

For most people I believe fiscal year and calendar year are the same. Regardless, I assume most everyone in here is posting goals based on a calendar year (I know I am)

Different for me but I go with calendar year because it's easier and I think about the next year's goals around Christmas and January anyway.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

MrKatharsis posted:

This year was good. Got a car and a motorcycle, maxed my 401k and Roth IRA. Plenty in the emergency fund and we've been debt free for a few years.

2015 goals:
Move closer to work (and keep my job)
Max retirement accounts again.
Move leftover HSA to a bank with smaller fees.
Cash flow veterinary expenses for my sick cat.
Take a nice vacation.

1) nope (yep)
2) on track
3) bank was bought out so this was taken care of for me
4) on track
5) took a few days to stay in a cabin and fish. That's all I'm getting this year, it looks like.

Sold the motorcycle too. Boats are more my style.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

spwrozek posted:

My goals really took a turn the last couple weeks for next year. I hope to have some time to revisit them in a few weeks but generally here they are:

1) Get divorced (lovely goal right there...)
2) In divorce make sure we both come out of it financially sound (should be doable but we need to sit down and work at untangling our finances)
3) Do not sell the house until spring 2016 (this will help out the ex a tremendous amount)
4) Get a roommate to help defer costs (plenty of house for this person)
5) Pay off my student loan (I had been concentrating on the wife's up until now)
6) Pay off my car (stretch goal)

Not what I would have wrote at all about a month ago...oh well.

1) Done
2) Good enough
3) Roommate, either selling, or being bought out next summer. Good stuff.
4) Roommate is cool.
5) Not going to happen due to divorce agreements but I am down to $25k maybe a year to go
6) Maybe next year.

Nothing will change for the end of the year. Working on real financial goals for next year.

I do have a great girlfriend so mark that as a win.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

spwrozek posted:

Nothing will change for the end of the year. Working on real financial goals for next year.

I do have a great girlfriend so mark that as a win.

Good times. I've passed both goals I set this year although one needed modification due to a natural disaster. My main issue is I have no idea what to set as a goal for next year. If I get a good enough offer I may sell half the shares in my company next year which would likely blow away any net worth goals. So it's time for a rethink.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Simple savings goals never hurt anyone. If you blow by all the basics, maybe make a stretch goal for investing $xx,xxx in a brokerage fund for next year? It doesn't have to be easy, just reasonably achievable. That's the point of setting goals!

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
OK, getting towards the end of the year, time to review. Here was the initial goal:

District Selectman posted:

I'm going to set a 2015 goal to hit $175k in non-retirement liquid assets by the end of 2015 :yum:
And to give myself some reference on where I started at:

End of December 2014 to almost end of January 2015, up from $97k to $110k. On my way :yum:
But the first couple of months went unreasonably well, so I updated the goal to keep me hungry:

March: $144k so that's cool :yum:
This will slow down, but I think $200k is within reach this year
Bounced around quite a bit during the year, but with 26 days left in this year of our lord and savior, I'm up to $196k non-retirement monies. I guess I crushed my initial goal of $175k but goddamn I want to hit this arbitrary goal. $4k is definitely a reasonable goal, although I'm sure I'll spend a lot of money in December.

Goals for 2016 are going to be weird. I've had things set in motion for a few years now to engineer my layoff around mid year, so income will be uncertain after that, but, should my plan play out till the end, I'll be getting $50-$100k, depending on whether I just get a severance package or a severance package plus pension buy out. I am seriously considering not working for the rest of the year after my layoff. So, in 206 it may turn out that my financial goals are less growth-y and more figure out life-y.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

The Financial Goals 2016 thread is open :toot:

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Omne posted:

Current Status
$90k pre-tax salary
8% contribution into 401k, 3.5% company match ($42k balance)
$5k emergency fund

So, for 215, my goals are:

1) Save $10k
1a) Prioritize that so my emergency fund grows from $5k to $10k
2) Make double-payments on my highest interest student loan
3) Max out a Roth IRA
4) Make some side income
5) Continue to avoid credit card balances and increase 401k contributions to 9%

My end of the year update...how things changed so completely...

1) Failed. Between the engagement and the wedding, it's been rough. My emergency fund is at $7k
2) Nope. Failed, although I did pay extra this year
3) This turned into an engagement ring instead of a Roth IRA...
4) Success! I made a total of $47 on eLance by writing product descriptions
5) Success! Card is paid off every 2 weeks and 401k contribution is at 9%.

End of year balances:
Emergency fund: $5k to $7k
401k: $43k to $46k. I've been steadily contributing my 9% and the company match of 3.5%, it's just taken a hit in the market the last six months.
Student Loans: Paid off an extra $1200 on my biggest loan, which is no longer my biggest loan. Total balance is $30,573.11

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
My goals have long since been met. I think I'll hold off with 2016's goals as there's a deal that will either happen or not. The deal has too much money involved to be worth setting any further goals until after that is resolved.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
Currently sitting at $40k of YTD investment losses. Yay 2015?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Steadily invested all through the shaky market. Yay 2015!

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

MrKatharsis posted:

Steadily invested all through the shaky market. Yay 2015!

I did that too, still sitting at -$40k :).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Awww yeah sons, I'll quantify this poo poo this time. I have some weird cash flow, so I am listing goals for the end of this year and next year separately:

I get a minimum of 30% of my total comp as a one-time bonus payout at the end of the year, which this year at minimum is $39k.

Goals for end of this year:
Right now, I'm tracking to receive a pretax payment of $50-55k.

Rebuild emergency fund - $10k in an Ally high-yield Done
Pay off car loan - $17k remaining @4.2% - this is my only debt Not done, paid off $8k with $9k remaining
Squirrel away up to $5k for vacation and skiing Done, I went skiing (and injured myself necessitating significant medical expenses, hurray) and I went to Finland, which was tight.
Rest (if there is any) to misc investment account/housing down payment fund

During 2015 before 2015 one-time bonus
anticipated net monthly income (incl 401k witholding) $5580/mo
anticipated total monthly expenses $3380/mo

Goals:
Max out 401k - $18k Not done, very bad. $12.2k. Will need to hit this next year
Roth IRA - $2k Done
Misc investment/housing downpayment fund - $5k Not done, about $1,200 saved

I should have enough to hit goals and have a grand or so left over, plus the money I get back from the govt. SHOULD.

I would call this largely unsuccessful, but I did make significant progress on each of the goals. Sidetracked by injury and car accident, which I managed to cover without putting a dent in efund although at the cost of a couple of my goals.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

moana posted:

- Sell my house CHECK
- Continue to make six figures with writing CHECK
- Continue to max out IRAs, HSAs, and solo 401ks CHECK
Congrats to everyone kicking rear end and taking names.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
2015 Financial Goals - Final
  • Continue contributing to retirement accounts and kids 529 plans - Success. Planning on incrementally upping our contributions next year.
  • Pay off our car ($9500 owed) - Success. Paid off in December '14
  • Start using YNAB to effectively plan/budget our money - Success. Thanks to YNAB/planning and despite our daycare costs dramatically increasing, we still manage to increase our net worth ~$7500 in liquid accounts alone (not including retirement / 529 plans). I consider that a huge achievement since my whole goal for the year was to "tread water".

Assuming our stupid loving state gets off it's rear end and passes a budget (only 5.5 months overdue) and I receive my raise for next year, we should have about ~$300/mo extra to put towards savings goals so fingers crossed on that.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Close enough for an end-of-year update:

2015 Goals:
- Save $10k towards new house fund.
Done! New house purchased and we still have a good 6 months emergency fund left. We're renting the old house out, with renters moving in on Saturday.
- Max out Roth IRA for wife and self.
Done!
- Take advantage of matching contributions for 401k.
Done!
- Stick to new budget
We just made a new budget this past week with the rental income/expenses, so I tentatively mark this one done. However, a budget is always a work in progress, so this will be a high priority in 2016 as we prepare for starting a family.
- Reduce stress levels and amount of clutter in the house.
Done! We've donated, sold, and thrown away a lot of stuff. Once spring comes around we'll be cleaning the attic and garage out more. I still have some minor "honey-do" projects at the new house, but I'm actually very pleased with how things are going.

2015 was a year of big changes for me. I started a new job, got a new home, and bought a new (used) car. 2016 is the year the wife graduates with her master's degree, and the year we start trying to get pregnant. All in all, I'm very happy with how things are going and am looking forward to the new challenges.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

EOY Update!

Not a Children posted:

2014 was good, but not great. Gonna see if I can't improve this year.

2015 Goals:
Increase my gross income to $75k. CHECK... if you count tuition reimbursements. Very close otherwise, though!
Add at least $15k to my 401k and max my Roth IRA. CHECK
Somehow decrease my housing expenses, either by moving or otherwise compensating my current landlord in some way. CHECK, though I'm already looking for a new place to live now that my office moved downtown
Maintain a girlfriend without driving her nuts with frugality. NOT CHECK, but for reasons unrelated to finance!
Maintain good grades in school; B or higher gets me back 100% of tuition costs! CHECKAPALOOZA ON THIS ONE

edit: This is a stretch goal, but add $10k or more to savings. I'll be mentally and financially ready for a house purchase by 2017, I think. CHECK!

2015 was an easy success. I'm going to try to make my next set of goals a bit more ambitious. On to 2016!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Nail Rat posted:

2014 took me from -1k net worth to 29k net worth and saw my assets all grow considerably.

2015 will be different because I'm getting married and looking to move out of a condo that is 15-30k underwater. I can't live there any more. I've wanted to move for five years and 3+ hours of commuting a day and being an hour's drive from all our friends is killing us.

Still:

-sell the condo and move to the city
-add 3k to emergency fund(this will make it 6-7 months)
-contribute 6k to 401k
-contribute 5500 to IRA
-contribute 3350 to HSA
-finish the year by paying off the loan I'll doubtlessly need to sell the loving condo

If I do all this, my net worth will move from about 29k to about 71k and I'll be poised to max the poo poo out of everything starting in 2016. Also my fiancee makes so much less than me that we'll get a giant refund in early 2016.

Final update:

-sell the condo and move to the city: done
-add 3k to emergency fund(this will make it 6-7 months): not done
-contribute 6k to 401k: contributed 13k to 401k, so blew it out of the water (plus about 2500 in match)
-contribute 5500 to IRA: done, and my wife did the same.
-contribute 3350 to HSA: done
-finish the year by paying off the loan I'll doubtlessly need to sell the loving condo: not done, though we're paying it down very aggressively

Net worth went from 29k to 62k. I'm okay with that in a year that I moved, sold a very underwater condo, and got married in a BWM wedding (that we accrued no debt for, at least).

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

Zuph posted:

2015:
1. Knock out credit card debt.
2. Pay off remaining car loan.
3. Max out Roth IRA.
4. Increase income 10%.
5. Save enough to take the first honest-to-god, leave-town-and-do-something-recreational vacation of my adult life.

End of the year update!

1. Not Done, but really close. Under $900, from a peak of $4700. Should be able to get this knocked out by early February, no problem.
2. Done!
3. Not done.
4. Technically done, but I'm not really satisfied.
5. Close enough, kinda, between work sponsored trips to interesting places, and a bunch of events/day-trips, I'm not going stir crazy this year.

Almost out of debt, putting away a healthy 15% of my salary into retirement, and staying (more or less) on budget. Made clear headway throughout 2015, rather than living paycheck-to-paycheck (as in 2014 and earlier). Goal for 2016: Set better goals.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
All of my goals for the year are complete. Onward to 2016 and some more interesting challenges than student loan repayment.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Original post | February Update | April Update | July Update | September Update | October Update

3) Drop monthly food spending from $430 to $380 -- The only month I went over $380 was one where I bought a bunch of food gift cards in Q1 (which I've only used about a third of total), and August where I went to a Brazilian steakhouse twice, once for a work function and again for a friend's birthday. Sept and October were my best months, both under $250. December is on track to be around $250-$300 because I'll probably get more discounted gift cards, but I also won't spend as much on food while I'm home at my parents. I don't expect to go out that much either.
5) Update resume by April, shop myself around if I don't get an April raise -- As I mentioned before, I got passed up for a raise this year. And I still haven't even glanced at the PMP cert courses. So pretty poo poo progress on goals. I think I'm doing better at work, though, and got good feedback on my presentation last week, which was my biggest one in months.
6) ESPP: Use 1 & 2 to cover Roth IRA and ESPP tax burden, use 3 & 4 to put in extra mortgage payments/increase charitable giving/etc. -- Lending Club has invested most of the $2500 I transferred to it, just waiting on some straggler notes to finally go through. Haven't made any more extra mortgage principal payments since once in June, which is according to plan. I didn't get that October raise like I wanted, but I still gave more to charities during our fall giving campaign at work, and also across the whole year (including to the non-profit I helped found), than I ever have before and I don't regret it. I'm all set with recent cash inflow from getting a new roommate to cover my 2016 Roth IRA on Jan 1 without significantly draining my cash savings down from their usual setpoint.
7) Stretch goal: Establish side business for martial arts consulting -- Still haven't pursued this any further since May. Called the mentor/trainer friend up on Saturday when I was in his apartment complex visiting someone else, but didn't hear back. Let's make it a next year thing.
8) Buy new computer parts for a full rebuild ($800-1300) -- spent net $600 or so without any disappointment on performance since I still really don't game much. Now I'm eyeing a replacement for my living room theater PC, hopefully in the $250-350 range, with earmarked cash to cover it.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

SpelledBackwards posted:

8) Buy new computer parts for a full rebuild ($800-1300) -- spent net $600 or so without any disappointment on performance since I still really don't game much. Now I'm eyeing a replacement for my living room theater PC, hopefully in the $250-350 range, with earmarked cash to cover it.
This may not help you, but when my HTPC died I put the hard drive in my main computer and installed a Plex server on it. Now I just use the Chromecast to access the media.

The Experiment
Dec 12, 2010

The Experiment posted:

In 2014, my net worth jumped from $85,000 to $125,000. I made a more conscious effort to save money this year than in previous years. I also started investing money. In the past, I usually hoarded the money in my checking account.

The 2015 goals:

- Increase net worth to over $175,000. It'd be nice if I can hit $200,000 by the end of the year.
- Max out 401k, Roth IRA, and HSA
- Remain debt free
- Retain emergency fund of $75,000 and any dollar past that point gets moved into taxable investments or some other way of making money instead of sitting in the account.
- Diversify my income. I want to make sure that I make money from more than just my full time job. I want money coming in from multiple sources. I just don't know quite yet what I will be doing to achieve this goal.
- Set up a budget. I can't make my ideal #1 goal otherwise.

End of the year check:

1) Failed. My net worth is approximately $162,000. I'm not going to whine too much over a net worth increase of $37,000.
2) Completed successfully.
3) Completed successfully.
4) I eventually lowered it to $50,000 and started putting the difference into investments. The stock market hasn't done all that well so as of this year, I was better off leaving it in my checking account. Here's hoping it pays off if the Dow goes to 20,000+.
5) Failed totally. I don't have many good ideas to do this.
6) I succeeded...eventually. I suspect had I put in place a good budget, I'd be a lot closer to $175k.

4 out of 6...I still feel fine about that overall.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

balancedbias posted:

Well, this is going to be an interesting year depending on the timing of when we're looking to have our second child. We have a 3 year-old right now. Job situation is solid and funding all of our dreams, so I'll do my best not to screw it up somehow. No loans besides a mortgage, both of us working, fully stuffed emergency fund. These are not necessarily in order.

1-Max out 401k

2-Max out 457 (I learned about this late 2013 thanks to this forum and have been funding it ever since! )

3-Max out BOTH IRAs - I've always funded mine, but this'll be the first time for my wife.

4-Roll over the nondeductible traditional IRA into a Roth - *sigh* so thanks to learning more about the requirements in the past few months, I realized that I've been screwing up. I knew that my IRA contributions weren't deductible for the past few years, and we don't qualify for the Roth directly, but I didn't know about form 8606. So there's going to be some 'splainin to the IRS, some vetting of a decent CFP and tax expert, and ultimately some Roth money that I should have done a while ago. Thankfully I don't have any deductible traditional IRA money.

5-Continue monthly funding of 529 - the amount may change, again depends on theoretical baby #2.

6-Increase life insurance - this I'll admit we've both been huge slackers. Well, more specifically me, since I made 4x what my wife did this year. She pointed out "If you drop dead, I'd be fine in the immediate run, but the future would be reaaal sketchy" and she's right . As soon as we sit down and calculate the proper amount, I can definitely afford a bigger term policy.

7-Make accelerated payments on the mortgage to the tune of 12,000 total for the year

8-Adjust quarterly estimated payments so our 2015 refund is under $1000. This is always tough because the work schedule shifts occasionally.

1-Done
2-Done
3 -Done
4-Done
5-Done (well, ongoing, but you get the point)
6-Done
7-Done
8- :laffo: nope ! but hey, at least I don't owe a ton of money and have to sweat!

So, no new baby (on hold indefinitely), way more family drama (that doesn't look to affect any finances), and a variation in goals for 2016 on the way!

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Nocheez posted:

This may not help you, but when my HTPC died I put the hard drive in my main computer and installed a Plex server on it. Now I just use the Chromecast to access the media.

Much appreciated. I got so frustrated with my parents' terrible options while using their Samsung TV's built-in apps that I bought them an Amazon FireTV Stick, and when I go home and set it up next week, I'm gonna see what all the fuss is about. If I like it enough, I'll save myself $$$ and get either the Stick or a full-on a FireTV for my regular streaming needs, and then only break out the computer I've currently got for specialty stuff those devices can't handle. Chances are I'll go that route just because of the annoying frugality I've started to develop over the last year or so. Sometimes I wish I could just let myself spend money, but here I can clearly see potentially more-optimal routes which also use less money, so I'll explore them first and maybe put some of the difference toward improving my wardrobe.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
I can't believe it's already December!

I still am pretty bad with money, but overall I'm very proud of the improvements I've made. I've lost 30 pounds this year (65 pounds total) and I no longer spend endlessly when I'm sad. I've started cooking my meals and enjoying healthy food more than fast food. I still drink too much tea at cafes, but it's one habit at a time.

Where I was at the beginning of the year:
- ~$2700 in credit card debt on a crappy cash back card
- 401k: vested in ~$19000, $21k total
- Roth IRA: ~$1700 at the beginning of the year
- Emergency savings: $400 at the beginning of the year

Where I am now:
- No credit card debt besides what I put on my Chase Freedom card for the 5% points and pay off every month.
- 401k: $28,286.18 total, vested in $25,988.35
- Roth IRA: $5100! I transferred from Merrill Lynch to Vanguard (thank you again goons) and I'm not sure how much I lost in fees so I left it alone here.
- Savings: I currently have $900 in emergency savings, and $1500 in car-down-payment-savings that I keep in my Ally bank account.

I saved a lot for retirement this year, but I've decided to focus on my emergency/car down payment savings for the next 6-12 months. I hope my car lasts for 10 years, but it's currently at 91,000 miles so I'm scared that if I got into an auto accident in the next couple of years it could get totaled by the insurance company due to the mileage and the fact that I've gotten into two other accidents already (I know...)... I feel like if this worst case scenario occurred and I didn't have savings, my bad habits with credit card/stress spending will start over again. But hopefully my 2011 Toyota Yaris keeps on going until 2021. Until I have six months of emergency savings and $5000 saved up for a car down payment, I decreased my retirement savings to 6% for my 401k and $60 transferring to my Vanguard every two weeks.

A lot of my goals changed over the year:
- I stay with my boyfriend during the week so I live super close to my job. I don't spend nearly as much on gas and maintenance for my car as I used to.
- I decided that I didn't want LASIK and put the saved money into my roth IRA.

I did reach the following goals:
- I shop at the grocery store once a week and no longer eat out every day.
- I paid off my credit card debt
- I have put off my airline points expiring until 2017 by taking surveys online and refreshing the balance!

I failed to reach the following goals:
- I do NOT have six months' of emergency savings. :\
- I canceled my monthly subscriptions, but I did sign up for the 99-cents-a-month for three months of Spotify. I tend to do this and cancel the subscription before the full price starts.
- I did NOT max my roth.

I still am doing way better than at the beginning of the year!

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
^^^Looks like you didn't need a thread but it would have been an awesome diversion from the regular BFC mud wrestling. Congratulations!

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
BFC has been so incredibly helpful for improving how I manage my money. Even better, two of my friends told me that they started saving more for retirement after watching the changes in my behavior.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

legsarerequired posted:

BFC has been so incredibly helpful for improving how I manage my money. Even better, two of my friends told me that they started saving more for retirement after watching the changes in my behavior.

That's great, it's good to know they will be better off in retirement. It's easy to forget how much your behaviour can positively influence people.

Within my office one person asked about credit card rewards. Another I discuss mortgages and finance with and he went from a 6% floating rate mortgage to a 4.4% fixed rate for the next year. He's happy with the reduced interest payments.

A couple I know asked what it would take to get a house. They've transitioned from doing a lot of art to working a lot (and hopefully saving). I think the idea was in their minds already but they didn't know what they'd need to achieve to reach their goal.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

MrKatharsis posted:

^^^Looks like you didn't need a thread but it would have been an awesome diversion from the regular BFC mud wrestling. Congratulations!

Yeah, the good stories where people turn it around are always quiet, while the Slow Mo-esque train wrecks are loud and gaudy

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

sweet_jones posted:

2015 Financial Goals

1. Rebuild cash reserves to include:
18k Emergency Fund (currently $2,832) ;
5k Middle-Term Savings (currently $1,006) this is what I call generic savings for possible house, new car, etc;
1k kept in the worthless savings account tied to my checking account, intent being to not touch my emergency fund again. This is there now, goal is to keep that throughout the year.

This was sort of a success, I was able to build my e-fund up to $17.7k but I did not save for the second savings account.

quote:

2. Max Roth IRA and HSA again.
2014 ended up being the first year I did both. This year, these will be funded by direct deposit each pay period.

Success, maxed both accounts.

quote:

3. Increase net worth to 110k (currently 80.1k).
This should be the outcome of the above plus finishing divorce debt, by my calculations.

Success, I ended the year at 114.9k net worth.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Just a note, I am leaving this thread open until mid-January to make sure people have time to let any holiday dust settle. We personally have some bonuses incoming that stand to move the needle a lot and I feel they should count. :D I assume there will be gold/silver avatars this year but I'll message someone about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

I submit that the reward for a sucessful year should be a gang tag and further that it should be this:

• Locked thread