Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
app
Dec 16, 2014
$$$$$$$$$

2015 Goals:
- $36K into two 401ks
- Lose ability to contribute to a Roth IRA
- $20k into eventual house down payment fund
- $6k to max out family HSA
- Cross $650k in total savings (retirement and non-tax advantaged) - currently at $575k
- Increase gross income from $205k to at least $235k via raise or new job

app fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZentraediElite
Oct 22, 2002

Initial 2015 goals...

*Consolidate finances with the wife and set up a budget
We signed up for a joint bank account but I haven't switched my direct deposit over yet. We have so many bills that are paid out of my account that I need to do some work before we can consolidate everything without fear of bouncing payments.

*Contribute fully to 2015 Roth

*Get a raise at work
I've been laying the ground work to be promoted to "Senior" in my respective role. I assume it comes with a pay increase

*Pay off my wife's new car (stretch goal)
It has a manageable interest rate but we have the liquidity to do it and not hurt ourselves. Kinda depends on how other things shake out.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

slap me silly posted:

Looks great. Let me help you zoom in on the low-hanging fruit:

What are you doing now, and what options do you see for branching out?
I have my current full time job and nothing else, and I'm not really sure what I should look into at all. I've tended to not really be confident in being able to come up with any ideas either.

I just want some more money man.

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!
2014 was a mixed bag. In January I got my emergency fund built to 5 months' worth of expenses, was giving monthly to charity and contributing to my Roth...then this summer I spent twice the money I usually spend while I was relying on half the income (dumb E/N stuff). It put me way behind in my plans.

So this year, I plan to be much more mindful. Goals for 2015:

-Save up $3K to cover my rear end this summer in case I don't get enough work: already over halfway there and hopefully I will get some $$$ this Christmas that will give me an additional boost.

-After that's done, lay aside $300/month (10% of paycheck) towards eventual car replacement. (If I get enough work this summer, then the $3K will go to this cause instead of rear end-covering.)

-Get back into contributing to my Roth. My 401(a) is awesome (great matching), so this isn't as top a priority for me compared to the more immediate goals, but I want to get back into the habit. If I can sock at least $1000 into it this year I'll call it a start.

-Figure out what to do with the retirement account from my previous job, since I can't roll it over into my current one.

-Keep better track of my spending, because how much do I REALLY spend on groceries every month? :iiam:

-edit: Oh God, I forgot I'm going up for review and promotion for the first time in three years, so here's hoping for my continued employment and a 5% pay increase :ohdear:

Blue Scream fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 16, 2014

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Current stats:

$90,000 pre-tax income
$400,000 in retirement savings (about $40k tax deferred and $360k taxable)
$20,000 in savings
$290,000 condo (no mortgage)

Goals for 2015:
Bump income up to $108,000 (work is commission-based with "tiers" of income at $90,000, $108,000, $120,000, etc.)
Get $23,500 into tax deferred/exempt accounts
Sell condo, buy ~$400,000 house (I WILL REGRET THIS - WHY WOULD I WANT HIGHER EXPENSES)
Resist the temptation to replace my 2003 Volvo "because I deserve to" - This has been a close call for the past 2 years
Get savings up to $25,000, or $40,000 if I don't buy a new house

Semi-monetary goal: The GF and I have 4 cats since we Brady Bunch'd my 2 and her 2 this past year. I really do think we need to rehome 2 :( Our house is a gross cat house.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I have my current full time job and nothing else, and I'm not really sure what I should look into at all. I've tended to not really be confident in being able to come up with any ideas either.

I just want some more money man.

I'm in the same boat. I have a blog about running, but no one cares enough for it to generate revenue or anything.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Awww yeah sons, I'll quantify this poo poo this time. I have some weird cash flow, so I am listing goals for the end of this year and next year separately:

I get a minimum of 30% of my total comp as a one-time bonus payout at the end of the year, which this year at minimum is $39k.

Goals for end of this year:
Right now, I'm tracking to receive a pretax payment of $50-55k.

Rebuild emergency fund - $10k in an Ally high-yield
Pay off car loan - $17k remaining @4.2% - this is my only debt
Squirrel away up to $5k for vacation and skiing
Rest (if there is any) to misc investment account/housing down payment fund

Pretax $52k, post-tax $29k. It'll drop to me on Friday.

This means I can only squirrel away about $2k for vacation and skiing, which is slightly below where I wanted to be.

I have decided to keep car loan payoff money in a separate account and pay it off gradually over this year. The rationale there is that I have made a couple late payments in the past on credit cards due to sheer laziness, so subdividing this payoff in to 12 on-time payments throughout the year allows me to improve the numerator and denominator of my on-time payments score. If this is a crackhead scheme, someone say something.

I also have to run a cost-cutting purge around the cable bill, cancel MLB.tv and some other things I don't really need to be paying for. Call it end-of year budget housekeeping. I have already entirely offloaded cell phone bill responsibility to work, so that frees up 12-1400 a year.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Current stats:

$65,640 gross pay per year + $12,000 sign on bonus for this year, $10,000 sign on bonus for next year
$1300 in buffer, no savings
~$1900/month in expenses
$2708.21 in personal debt to cover moving expenses to Seattle
$17,882 in car debt
~$47,000 in student loan debt

2015 goals:
- Get fully buffered for 1 month (roughly $2500)
- $3000 in savings
- Pay off personal moving debt - on track to pay this off by march
- Reduce car debt to $11,000 or less
- loving hell no idea what to do about student loans, haven't started paying them yet
- Put aside $700 to upgrade computer to last the next three years

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
This year was crappy because I took an unofficial temporary pay cut due to my boss being a bad at budgets (I was at least not alone in this and he suffered along with me) but it paid off in the end because we got our funding back and I got a pretty substantial raise out of it along with back pay.

End of year goals:
Pay off CCs (~$2k) - happening as soon as my back pay hits the bank this week
Finish this year's IRA contribution (~$3k)
Put any remaining back pay into my emergency fund (currently $1k, up from like $0 earlier this year :gonk:)

2015 goals:
Maintain 0 balance on all CCs
Rebuild emergency fund to cover 6mo expenses
Max out IRA and HSA contributions
Once goals 2 & 3 are out of the way start either saving to replace my beater car or pay more aggressively on my mortgage (probably car; it's 10 years old and I want to be ready for repair or replace in the event it craps out on me).

I also have a $10k inheritance coming that I have to decide what to do with. My house is my only debt once I eliminate the dumb CC balance, so its mostly just a matter of figuring out where or how I want to save it.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
My big ones for 2015:

- Hit $10k in my emergency fund. I'm at around $3200+ right now. I'll be getting a bonus towards the end of the month + back dated raise which will be going towards it. That'll leave roughly $5000 to go.

- Contribute over $5500 to my TSFA. I want to start eating up some of the contribution room I have there.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
2014 has been a poo poo show for me emotionally and financially. This involves totaling one car, getting dicked around on repairs for a new one (as well as signing a terrible predatory loan from a "we finance everyone!!!" dealer, and roommate issues. In 2015, I plan to limit financial risks and plan every cent I spend as best I can. I think the biggest risk I avoided was not getting into a relationship with a girl with 92k worth of student loans and who also can't afford to make payments on them.

Position to begin 2015:

$6,000ish in retirement savings. $5,500 of it is in a Roth IRA and $500 in traditional
$3,000 in savings.
$2,225 take home pay per month after taxes and deductions. Unfortunately no 401k match by my employer.
$1,025 monthly expenses excluding rent A lot of this is due to weekly (yes) car payments of $90.86.
My lease is up at the end of the year, and I will move back home for a spell before moving into a friend's condo. Doing so unfortunately bumps expenses up to $1,725.00.
No credit card debt
$27,000 in student loan debt. Deferred, accruing interest. Which will actually be going up as I continue taking MBA courses.
Around $10,000 in car debt

Other sources of income: $8,800 in student loan refunds unless I choose to decline them, $4,500.00 tuition reimbursement from work ($1500 from 2014)

The main goal for 2015 is contribute to getting out of the red ($28,000) as far as net worth goes, and I want to do it as efficiently as I can.

1. Work 5 hours overtime a week, use proceeds ($5,000) to almost max out Roth IRA. I was deciding between paying down my student loans and losing a year's worth of IRA contributions, and I can always catch up on loans in the future.
2. Pay down car loan if possible. This is the decision I am most ashamed of- I don't know my current balance, whether or not it's simple interest or built in. And the interest is sky high. If it is indeed built-in, that means there is no financial incentive to pay it off early, right? If there is, however, savings to be made by paying it off early, I'm starting there.
3. Start paying back my student loans, though deferred. Question about these- I could actually probably pay for my MBA classes out of pocket if I really budgeted for it, or at the very least, I could decline the refund since I'm awarded $4100 and only use about $1900. If I can pay off my car early, does it make sense to accept all the student loans at 3-6% interest and use it to pay for the much higher interest car loan? It's kind of like robbing Peter to pay Paul
4. Get a higher paying job. This should be #1, but my current position is very secure. It only pays $17.34/hr though and does not have an employer 401k match.

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 17, 2014

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
2015 Goals: (In order of priority, highest to lowest)

#1 - Under no circumstances have children or buy a house.
#2 - Pay down $45,000 of principal on my wife's student loans. Stretch Goal: Pay off the remaining $14K too, and be debt-free!
#3 - Grow side-business income by 33% ($91K revenue). Stretch Goal: Grow side-business income by 75% ($121K revenue).
#4 - Do one stress-reduction activity every month (massage, art therapy, whatever). This might not seem like a financial goal, but I stressed myself out in 2014 to the point of medical intervention and was unable to run my side-biz for five months. It's better for my careers if I stay sane.
#5 - Keep or lose my day job as best fits the monetary goals above. I hate the damned thing, but money is money until my wife's loans are paid off.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

BossRighteous posted:

Save an additional $5.8k for a $7k savings total

Just found out I am approved for 2 months of regular overtime at my day job that should come out to a total of about $2.5k! Well on my way now.

Also for my freelance side gig I've:
Registered an AZ Trade Name
Registered a Skype number for calls/messaging
Completed the website
Purchased an initial contract outline

I still need to revise the contract and simplify it a bit, and also design some business cards but I am feeling pumped.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R
This year is the year we managed to get our finances well under control, so hopefully 2015 will be a big year for knocking out goals.

Currently:
$66,000 pre-tax income.
7% going to 401k (Company match max)
IRA at $3,250 a year.
$7600 in emergency savings.
$4,700 in credit card debt.
$2,500 car loan (at an absurdly low interest rate).

2015:
1. Knock out credit card debt.
2. Pay off remaining car loan.
3. Max out Roth IRA.
4. Increase income 10%.
5. Save enough to take the first honest-to-god, leave-town-and-do-something-recreational vacation of my adult life.

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING
I just got a new job with my net going up substantially (like 60%) so a lot of my 5-year plan that I set out before this new job popped up was designed for a lot lower income. I'm going to use this next year of -=BIG GAINZ=- to set me up for a new 5-year plan.

Currently:
Net worth: ~ -8k
Income: 100.000 pre tax with anywhere from 0-80,000 in daily rate, I'm assuming approx 40k pre tax for next year. Anything else will just be a happy bonus.
Unmarried, no kids
$5000 Emergency Fund
0 CC Debt
45k Private Student loans @ 6.5%
12k Consolidation loan @ 9.6%
28k Auto loan @ 3.2%

20k In former employer 401k
20k in Roth IRA
6k in TSP

Plan:

Work a lot, get that daily rate money. Should be working approximately half the year overseas.

Goal Zero: STOP EATING OUT! (already in progress)

Max out 401k (13%)
Roll over former employer 401k into new employer 401k (Terrible fund choices at the old employer, and underperforming as well)
Roll over the TSP into new employer's 401k (equally low expense ratios with the new employer)
Set up Traditional IRA and max out (I'll almost certainly exceed the limit to go directly into a Roth)
Divest the car, eat the amount that I'm underwater (about 6k) DONE 22DEC2014. Only took a hit of about 2200
Pay off consolidation loan
Bump emergency fund to 10k
Knock out as much of the student loans as is reasonably achievable.

If I get all of those done, I'll be pretty happy with myself, I suppose.

My first and most initial goal is to become 'worthless' and I'm expecting that to happen before February.
The retirement funding will be pretty much automatic, so no big changes there.

Manawski fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Dec 23, 2014

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Zuph posted:

5. Save enough to take the first honest-to-god, leave-town-and-do-something-recreational vacation of my adult life.

Where do you want to go?

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

pig slut lisa posted:

Where do you want to go?

My fiancee and I have thrown around the smoky mountains, Chicago, Montreal, Colorado, and the gulf coast of Florida as places we would both like to go, and could reasonably afford. Of course, the final decision would be based on cost, budget, time available, weather, and all sorts of other stuff.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Zuph posted:

My fiancee and I have thrown around the smoky mountains, Chicago, Montreal, Colorado, and the gulf coast of Florida as places we would both like to go, and could reasonably afford. Of course, the final decision would be based on cost, budget, time available, weather, and all sorts of other stuff.

Cool, and congrats! I really like working towards travel goals. They take a backseat to retirement goals, but I still love planning and saving for it.

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
- Have an income

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
This year was good. Got a car and a motorcycle, maxed my 401k and Roth IRA. Plenty in the emergency fund and we've been debt free for a few years.

2015 goals:
Move closer to work (and keep my job)
Max retirement accounts again.
Move leftover HSA to a bank with smaller fees.
Cash flow veterinary expenses for my sick cat.
Take a nice vacation.

T. J. Eckleburg
Apr 10, 2007
sorry about the clock.

background info:
- income: him 20k, me 80k (married)
- spouse will be quitting his job in July
- related: we will be moving cross-country in July so he can begin school in August
- 18k liquid cash saved
- $1800 monthly expenses, increasing to probably $2200 when we move (due to COL)

goals:
- convince boss to let me go 100% remote so we can move together
- cut back to a 1 car household (stretch goal: go carless)
- save up to a total of 30k in liquid cash -- 10k emergency fund, 20k to pay for his education (stretch goal: 15k emergency fund)
- max out my 401k and 2 IRAs (stretch goal: also max our HSAs)

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
2015 Goals:
- Max out my 401ks and as much as possible for my wife. Roths too. She won't be eligible for hers at work until later in the year due to her workplace having a 1 year period before they offer one. If I understand it all and have calculated it right, even if she sets up 100% contributions after she gets the 401k, she will still come in ~2k shy of the full 18k.
- Save $30k in taxable accounts. This we can hit.
- We have some improvements we want to do to our house. We just bought it this year and there is a long list of stuff to do. Some of these will be expensive, probably total 20k but we will see how we go with savings first.

One thing we need to do is work on being disciplined and sticking to our budget again. We started slacking the past 3 months after we hit a savings goal, as a result these months have been fairly terrible.

Professional goals for me = new job early next year.

Edit- Sell my truck, refresh my wife's car with something reasonable and then drive her old car until the wheels fall off.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
I just calculated how much my net worth would increase next year if my spending matches my budget and there is no real estate or stock market crash: $46k.

So with that in mind, given my current net worth of roughly $65k, I'm aiming for a net worth of $100k by the end of 2015. Should be easily doable if I can resist all big purchases.

Specifics:

-Attain net worth of $100k
-Contribute max of $4,500 to RRSP
-Contribute $27,000 to TFSA, eating up remaining limit
-Survive first winter biking and avoid getting hit by a bus, since biking helps make this frugal lifestyle possible and enjoyable.

2015: The year of catching up on my early 20s financial illiteracy/stupidity. :shepspends:

A glorious year it shall be.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 31, 2014

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014
- Get a new job
Super mega stretch goal
- Have a positive net worth

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Assets: 18,454
Income: Around 1000 a month, depending on my work hours, but I usually end up at a deficit of around 300 bucks a month (still, I started graduate school in January with 21K to my name, so I'm doing pretty well at saving)
Debt: None!

Goals:
1) Graduate and find a teaching job (hopefully in Austin)
2) Start working on my writing side-job in earnest and make at least 500 dollars doing so
2) Have six months living expenses saved
3) Have the money for a trip to Thailand in 2016 saved
4) Start saving for retirement (teachers get pensions, but I figure it can't hurt to save more on top of that)
5) Start saving for a house (since I don't plan to ever get married, it'll have to be a cheap one)

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

My goals really took a turn the last couple weeks for next year. I hope to have some time to revisit them in a few weeks but generally here they are:

1) Get divorced (lovely goal right there...)
2) In divorce make sure we both come out of it financially sound (should be doable but we need to sit down and work at untangling our finances)
3) Do not sell the house until spring 2016 (this will help out the ex a tremendous amount)
4) Get a roommate to help defer costs (plenty of house for this person)
5) Pay off my student loan (I had been concentrating on the wife's up until now)
6) Pay off my car (stretch goal)

Not what I would have wrote at all about a month ago...oh well.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

spwrozek posted:

poo poo happens man. Sorry you're having a rough time. Life never seems to go according to plan.

Deep 13
Sep 6, 2007
"Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's WORK OUT"
- Max 2015 Roth IRA contributions before the end of the 2015 calendar year--i.e. not using the 15 April 2016 deadline.
- Add $4000 to savings
- Use 2014 budget data to anticipate and evenly fund seasonal travel, insurance premiums, student fees, etc.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

spwrozek posted:

Are you the one who's wife moved to another city for a job or something?

Either way, sorry to hear that dude. I hope you all come out alright.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

dreesemonkey posted:

Are you the one who's wife moved to another city for a job or something?

Either way, sorry to hear that dude. I hope you all come out alright.

Yeah she moved about 2.5 hours away for work. I would still like to work it out but not sure that is possible. I will stop crapping up this thread though. It does have some pretty big financial ramifications potentially though so it is important to get it right.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I'm $6,000 in debt - a student loan with 6.8% interest. I already have an emergency fund of 3 months in cash in my bank account. I currently have like $2250 spread between an IRA and a 401(k). My goal is to pay off my loan and then start socking away 10% of my net pay into the IRA, the 401(k) or both?

Is that good?

EDIT: My company doesn't do 401k matching because the higher ups are dumb so don't bother mentioning that.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 23, 2014

Swingline
Jul 20, 2008
2015 goals - a little ambitious but if I save as well as I did this year doable. My pre-tax income was $135k in 2014 and should be around $145k this year depending on bonus. I think my goals are achievable on $135k though.

1) Max out Roth 401k ($18,000)
2) Max out Roth IRA via backdoor contribution ($5,500)
3) Max out HSA (about $2k pre-tax dollars since my employer contributes the rest)
4) Establish emergency fund of $20,000 (currently have nothing as I plowed all of my money in 2014 year into maxing all my retirement accounts and paying off my $35k student loan - $20,000 represents about 8 months living expenses if I'm frugal or 6 months if I'm not). I have bulletproof job security for the next 1.5 years so the lack of emergency account was an OK tradeoff in my opinion
5) Establish a taxable investment account at vanguard of $10,000 for index funds to further save for retirement
6) Save up an extra $5,500 at the end of the year so that when Jan 1 2016 comes around I can immediately max out IRA again instead of waiting

Note: I do Roth contributions on the 401k since it allows me to effectively tax shelter more dollars and that is my #1 goal. I'm in 28% federal marginal bracket now and may consider switching over to regular contributions when I hit 33% bracket, but will probably keep doing roth. I'm 23 now which helps the Roth vs pre-tax 401k math a lot.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
I just paid off my car in 20 months and now I'm debt free. I also have a slush fund account with $8000 in it that was supposed to be $2000, but I don't know what to spend money on. Since my retirement accounts are maxed and my emergency fund is at 6 months, I'm going with either start a taxable account and/or restart a hobby or two in 2015. Probably the latter.

js86
Jul 22, 2012
First time doing this here:

1. Have $20,000 put into my savings account. Currently at slightly under $10,000.
2. Have $25,000 in my 401k account. Currently at $12,000.
3. Keep my credit card debt at $0.00
4. Reduce my student loan debt from $30,000 to $20,000 on December 31, 2015
5. Do NOT buy any music gear in 2015. This one is probably going to be the toughest for me.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Well, this is going to be an interesting year depending on the timing of when we're looking to have our second child. We have a 3 year-old right now. Job situation is solid and funding all of our dreams, so I'll do my best not to screw it up somehow. No loans besides a mortgage, both of us working, fully stuffed emergency fund. These are not necessarily in order.

-Max out 401k

-Max out 457 (I learned about this late 2013 thanks to this forum and have been funding it ever since! :woop:)

-Max out BOTH IRAs - I've always funded mine, but this'll be the first time for my wife.

-Roll over the nondeductible traditional IRA into a Roth - *sigh* so thanks to learning more about the requirements in the past few months, I realized that I've been screwing up. I knew that my IRA contributions weren't deductible for the past few years, and we don't qualify for the Roth directly, but I didn't know about form 8606. So there's going to be some 'splainin to the IRS, some vetting of a decent CFP and tax expert, and ultimately some Roth money that I should have done a while ago. Thankfully I don't have any deductible traditional IRA money.

-Continue monthly funding of 529 - the amount may change, again depends on theoretical baby #2.

-Increase life insurance - this I'll admit we've both been huge slackers. Well, more specifically me, since I made 4x what my wife did this year. She pointed out "If you drop dead, I'd be fine in the immediate run, but the future would be reaaal sketchy" and she's right :smith:. As soon as we sit down and calculate the proper amount, I can definitely afford a bigger term policy.

-Make accelerated payments on the mortgage to the tune of 12,000 total for the year

-Adjust quarterly estimated payments so our 2015 refund is under $1000. This is always tough because the work schedule shifts occasionally.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

balancedbias posted:

-Increase life insurance - this I'll admit we've both been huge slackers. Well, more specifically me, since I made 4x what my wife did this year. She pointed out "If you drop dead, I'd be fine in the immediate run, but the future would be reaaal sketchy" and she's right :smith:. As soon as we sit down and calculate the proper amount, I can definitely afford a bigger term policy.

Check your workplace benefits, companies offer greatly discounted life insurance as part of the benefits in addition to a standard no cost benefit.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

1) Continue to max 401k, Roth IRA, and HSA this year as last (but with new higher limits, and with 100% of the HSA contributions coming from paycheck contributions so that ALL taxes get exempted on it). 401k and HSA are already set; and I want to deposit all-in on my Roth IRA within the first week of January.

2) Maintain my existing cash/savings emergency fund of 9 months current expenses (which will be more like 14 if I have to stretch it and actually change my lifestyle)

3) I spent about $430 per month on all food-related expenses in 2014 (down 5% or ~$20/month from 2013). I want to drop this another $50 to $380 per month by upping groceries by $20 and dropping work cafeteria, restaurants, fast food, and alcohol by $15-20 each per month, and using my groceries more effectively. Maybe it won't be in exactly those ratios, but that's the goal.

4) I told myself through most of 2014 I'd shop around on car insurance. I got some quotes and never followed up, but a friend got me in touch with an independent agent a couple of weeks ago who found a combined auto/home/umbrella quote which will save me around $240 per year. I'm going to switch over on that quote.

5) I'll update my resume by April. If April salary reviews get me any less than a 4% raise, then I will also shop that resume to the tech company in town where a coworker recently went and is an industry that aligns closer to my personal interests (but I don't know if I'm as well suited to it)

6) Earlier I'd said I'd use my ESPP sales throughout the year to cover my Roth IRA, tax burden on ESPP itself, and pay 1-2 payments principal payments on my mortgage (the remainder being fun money). I think I'd like to fix that mortgage portion to 1 payment and put the other toward more charitable giving either toward my usual recipients, or to the STEM nonprofit I've helped start with some other engineers and teachers from the robotics program I work with.

Stretch goal:
7) I've been trying to figure out a side stream of income, such as starting a business, but I didn't really know what I could get involved in as far as my interests and skills go. Completely unrelated, I recently got in touch with an old coworker/friend who is willing to train me up in his own unique martial arts style completely for free. It's the real deal like I've never even seen, with some feats you only see crazy monks able to do and not at all what you find in your everyday dojo or MMA gym.

He wants to teach me and document his methods so the knowledge isn't lost, and he also wants to develop a handful of students and start doing in-studio consulting for various martial arts teachers in town and show them how to improve their techniques, regardless of their martial art type or style. I want to learn anyway for my own fitness and physical enrichment, but my stretch goal this year is to help him develop it into a small consulting business by year's end.

Best part is that the startup costs wouldn't require pretty much anything in the way of capital equipment/structures/utilities, just clothing and a few martial arts supplies most likely (and we each have plenty of savings to cover that or anything administrative several times over). The other beauty of it if it works out is that it would be completely independent and diversified from our day jobs as engineers, so there's no conflict of interest or strong correlation where a loss of opportunities in one would also mean drying up business in the other job.

Edit: Got better food cost numbers after checking for previously-uncategorized expenses. Even higher than I thought. Also added paragraph breaks to the stretch goal (which was an awful block of text before as quoted below), and line breaks between list items.

SpelledBackwards fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 2, 2015

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

pig slut lisa posted:

-Keep home alcohol purchases below $50/month

Talked with my wife about this yesterday and she's totally on board. I was planning on just tracking our spending via online credit card statements, but she suggested keeping a tally on the fridge which is of course a much better idea.

For comparison I estimate our monthly home consumption purchases for 2014 at around $70-80 so this should represent a significant savings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

SpelledBackwards posted:

Stretch goal:
7) I've been trying to figure out a side stream of income, such as starting a business, but I didn't really know what I could get involved in as far as my interests and skills go. Completely unrelated, I recently got in touch with an old coworker/friend who is willing to train me up in his own unique martial arts style completely for free. It's the real deal like I've never even seen, with some feats you only see crazy monks able to do and not at all what you find in your everyday dojo or MMA gym. He wants to teach me and document his methods so the knowledge isn't lost, and he also wants to develop a handful of students and start doing in-studio consulting for various martial arts teachers in town and show them how to improve their techniques, regardless of their martial art type or style. I want to learn anyway for my own fitness and physical enrichment, but my stretch goal this year is to help him develop it into a small consulting business by year's end. Best part is that the startup costs wouldn't require pretty much anything in the way of capital equipment/structures/utilities, just clothing and a few martial arts supplies most likely (and we each have plenty of savings to cover that or anything administrative several times over). The other beauty of it if it works out is that it would be completely independent and diversified from our day jobs as engineers, so there's no conflict of interest or strong correlation where a loss of opportunities in one would also mean drying up business in the other job.

If you wanted to document it, maybe video equipment? For PoV filming, you might look into something like a GoPro with a chest or head mount, or Pivothead glasses.

• Locked thread