Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

My goals really took a turn the last couple weeks for next year. I hope to have some time to revisit them in a few weeks but generally here they are:

1) Get divorced (lovely goal right there...)
2) In divorce make sure we both come out of it financially sound (should be doable but we need to sit down and work at untangling our finances)
3) Do not sell the house until spring 2016 (this will help out the ex a tremendous amount)
4) Get a roommate to help defer costs (plenty of house for this person)
5) Pay off my student loan (I had been concentrating on the wife's up until now)
6) Pay off my car (stretch goal)

Not what I would have wrote at all about a month ago...oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

dreesemonkey posted:

Are you the one who's wife moved to another city for a job or something?

Either way, sorry to hear that dude. I hope you all come out alright.

Yeah she moved about 2.5 hours away for work. I would still like to work it out but not sure that is possible. I will stop crapping up this thread though. It does have some pretty big financial ramifications potentially though so it is important to get it right.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

pig slut lisa posted:

It's 2015, has everyone achieved all their financial goals yet?

I spent under $50 for new years...

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

spwrozek posted:

I haven't had a roommate other than the wife for 8 years but I was able to get one for February through May which works out pretty good for me. Kind of like a test run which is nice and the dude should be pretty good. On the financial side he is paying 1/2 my water, garbage, electric, heat, and internet plus I am getting $750/mo in rent. Basically around $900 a month in my pocket.

The rest of the poo poo is still a sticky wicket though.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

pig slut lisa posted:

Suggested new goal: Come back to this thread on July 1st with a more challenging goal, whatever that means to you.

I would be good with this if it is optional. I already feel good about my goals and put a stretch goal in as well. I will do the quarterly updates as well this year.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

spwrozek posted:

My goals really took a turn the last couple weeks for next year. I hope to have some time to revisit them in a few weeks but generally here they are:

2) In divorce make sure we both come out of it financially sound (should be doable but we need to sit down and work at untangling our finances)
3) Do not sell the house until spring 2016 (this will help out the ex a tremendous amount)
5) Pay off my student loan (I had been concentrating on the wife's up until now)

1) Haven't filled anything out or filed. I am waiting for her to make up her drat mind on what she wants from life.
2) Stopped paying extra on all the loans and have been hording cash. I have a budget spreadsheet that I use and am tracking her spend and my spend separately, also have the joint spreadsheet and individual sheets for each of us.
3) Haven't sold it or listed it. I would really like to once she figures out poo poo under item #1 though, maybe be out of here by the end of summer. If I am single this place is way too far away from people my age.
4) Have a roommate for the next 5 months. Extra $750 month and utility split so I am enjoying that.
5) No progress, just the minimum until #1 is resolved
6) No progress, just the minimum until #1 is resolved

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Not a Children posted:

I've found that when well-to-do people are perpetually broke/indebted in a nonobvious way, it's because of one of 4 things:

-Dating irresponsibly

This one confuses me. I am guessing you are saying guys (because come on...) who just drop mad coin on dates to impress girls and send them home in ubers...oh...so slow motion. Got it.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

spwrozek posted:

1) trying to work it out...
2) if we split we will be cool
3) probably going to see and move closer to town this fall
4) roommate is cool, moving out in a month. Not planning on getting another due to wanting to move.
5) no work on this because of #1 (paying normal amount)
6) no work on this because of #1 (paying normal amount)

Wife and I bought the $12K of company stock she was offered. If we split it is hers if we stay together they usually pay 30-40% yearly dividend so that is cool.

I got a great bonus and a nice raise in March as well.

My hair stylist told me I am getting more grey... loving stress levels man.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

spwrozek posted:

Random Update:

1) Sounds like going to happen for sure, need to start all the paperwork...sigh.
2) This will take some time but I hope to have it done by July, I think all will be well.
3) Looks like I will hang onto the house another year.
4) 1st roommate was solid, Looks like I got #2 lined up (also why I am staying in the house another year)
5) 2nd half goal after I get #2 all set
6) We shall see. Owe 13K, worst case I pay it off with my bonus next March.

The good news is I have been spending money like crazy due to my emotional state (going out, eating out, trips) but I am still $14K in the black on my net income/spend.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

spwrozek posted:

1) All filed and in progress
2) Probably screwed myself a little bit here but oh well. Life is too short to argue and bitch and get lawyers.
3) Got an awesome roommate who is paying half my mortgage and half my utilities so staying put until at least July 16.
4) Yay awesome roommate.
5) Well things got sticky here. I am paying quite a bit of the ex's student loans now in exchange for not splitting up our retirements. I guess in the end it will work out. Now this goal is pretty much not going to happen. I am going to try my best to pay it all off in a year.
6) Welp :sigh:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

app posted:

Changed jobs and now at $245k. :aaaaa: I do work really hard, but I feel unbelievably lucky...

Just curious what you do for work?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

spwrozek posted:

1) Done
2) Good enough, so Done
3) Not a problem
4) On the second roommate this year so going well, should be here until June next year
5) I put mine on the back burner and am concentrating on what I agreed to pay on the ex's. My goal will be to have it all paid off by the end of next year.
6) Not going to happen as I am concentrating on #5 (it is a 1.9% loan so not too worried about it)

Q4 goal:
Spend under $4000/month, $1000/month extra on the student loans, $1000/month to savings. At year end look at my accounts and decide what to do with cash on hand

Girlfriends can get kind of expensive sometimes...

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Debt payments are not savings. You are paying for something that you didn't have the money for at the time. It is ridiculous to think of it as savings, come on.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Sundae posted:

#1 - On track. Side-benefit of my wife having hip surgery in December: She's not going to let me anywhere near her, so I'm basically safe on the kids thing.

Are you sure you had to break your wife's hip to not have children?!?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Hope she gets healed up quickly!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

spwrozek posted:

1) Done
2) Good enough
3) Roommate, either selling, or being bought out next summer. Good stuff.
4) Roommate is cool.
5) Not going to happen due to divorce agreements but I am down to $25k maybe a year to go
6) Maybe next year.

Nothing will change for the end of the year. Working on real financial goals for next year.

I do have a great girlfriend so mark that as a win.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

me posted:

spwrozek posted:

1) Done
2) Good enough
3) Roommate, either selling, or being bought out next summer. Good stuff.
4) Roommate is cool.
5) Not going to happen due to divorce agreements but I am down to $25k maybe a year to go
6) Maybe next year.

Nothing will change for the end of the year. Working on real financial goals for next year.

I do have a great girlfriend so mark that as a win.

I would like the sweet new tag but not sure I totally deserve it. Divorce went well which is good. Came out financially OK for both of us also good. Haven't sold the house and am most likely going to be bought out near the middle of next year. The roommate thing has been great, an additional $6,750 this year of income. The last two goals were the real money ones and due to the divorce they didn't happen but I pay off a total of $29,896 in debt in 2015. I am pretty happy with that.

So I leave it up to you slap me silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

fuzzy_logic posted:

Also I'm 2 years not smoking, I think it finally took this time :peanut:

:respek: nice job here!

• Locked thread