Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!
2014 was a mixed bag. In January I got my emergency fund built to 5 months' worth of expenses, was giving monthly to charity and contributing to my Roth...then this summer I spent twice the money I usually spend while I was relying on half the income (dumb E/N stuff). It put me way behind in my plans.

So this year, I plan to be much more mindful. Goals for 2015:

-Save up $3K to cover my rear end this summer in case I don't get enough work: already over halfway there and hopefully I will get some $$$ this Christmas that will give me an additional boost.

-After that's done, lay aside $300/month (10% of paycheck) towards eventual car replacement. (If I get enough work this summer, then the $3K will go to this cause instead of rear end-covering.)

-Get back into contributing to my Roth. My 401(a) is awesome (great matching), so this isn't as top a priority for me compared to the more immediate goals, but I want to get back into the habit. If I can sock at least $1000 into it this year I'll call it a start.

-Figure out what to do with the retirement account from my previous job, since I can't roll it over into my current one.

-Keep better track of my spending, because how much do I REALLY spend on groceries every month? :iiam:

-edit: Oh God, I forgot I'm going up for review and promotion for the first time in three years, so here's hoping for my continued employment and a 5% pay increase :ohdear:

Blue Scream fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!

Blue Scream posted:

2014 was a mixed bag. In January I got my emergency fund built to 5 months' worth of expenses, was giving monthly to charity and contributing to my Roth...then this summer I spent twice the money I usually spend while I was relying on half the income (dumb E/N stuff). It put me way behind in my plans.

So this year, I plan to be much more mindful. Goals for 2015:

1. Save up $3K to cover my rear end this summer in case I don't get enough work: already over halfway there and hopefully I will get some $$$ this Christmas that will give me an additional boost.

2. After that's done, lay aside $300/month (10% of paycheck) towards eventual car replacement. (If I get enough work this summer, then the $3K will go to this cause instead of rear end-covering.)

3. Get back into contributing to my Roth. My 401(a) is awesome (great matching), so this isn't as top a priority for me compared to the more immediate goals, but I want to get back into the habit. If I can sock at least $1000 into it this year I'll call it a start.

4. Figure out what to do with the retirement account from my previous job, since I can't roll it over into my current one.

5. Keep better track of my spending, because how much do I REALLY spend on groceries every month? :iiam:

-edit: Oh God, I forgot I'm going up for review and promotion for the first time in three years, so here's hoping for my continued employment and a 5% pay increase :ohdear:

1. Saved up the $3K and made it through summer without a hitch.

2. Didn't get as much summer work, though, so I wasn't able to save additionally from May-September. Socking away $650/month for the car now. Here's hoping my current one hangs in for 1-2 more years.

3. Contributed $1,100 to my Roth when the market crashed a few weeks ago, because thrift shopping is awesome, and am contributing $100/month from here on. Small change but I guess it helps.

4. After talking to a Fidelity rep, decided to leave this account where it is for now.

5. I've been slacking off on this one, but I've finally made a budget on Mint.com and will hopefully be able to track all my expenses much better with that.

Looks like I'm gonna get that promotion :toot:

Additional news

This wasn't one of my original goals, but after some uncertainty at work I decided to assess my monthly expenses more honestly (I was under-estimating before) and save up for six months' minimum for my emergency fund. I took everything that was left over after I made it through summer and put it in a separate online savings account. I had about $7,400 in there before, and now my goal is $10,500. I'm almost there :woop:

Also putting aside a little bit every month for Dragon Con next year, because I always spend more than I think I will, so I might as well budget for it. Who needs Christmas?

• Locked thread