Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
I just calculated how much my net worth would increase next year if my spending matches my budget and there is no real estate or stock market crash: $46k.

So with that in mind, given my current net worth of roughly $65k, I'm aiming for a net worth of $100k by the end of 2015. Should be easily doable if I can resist all big purchases.

Specifics:

-Attain net worth of $100k
-Contribute max of $4,500 to RRSP
-Contribute $27,000 to TFSA, eating up remaining limit
-Survive first winter biking and avoid getting hit by a bus, since biking helps make this frugal lifestyle possible and enjoyable.

2015: The year of catching up on my early 20s financial illiteracy/stupidity. :shepspends:

A glorious year it shall be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I'll be your Fabio for your covers if you'll give me 10%.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

Rick Rickshaw posted:

I just calculated how much my net worth would increase next year if my spending matches my budget and there is no real estate or stock market crash: $46k.

So with that in mind, given my current net worth of roughly $65k, I'm aiming for a net worth of $100k by the end of 2015. Should be easily doable if I can resist all big purchases.

Specifics:

-Survive first winter biking and avoid getting hit by a bus, since biking helps make this frugal lifestyle possible and enjoyable.

2015: The year of catching up on my early 20s financial illiteracy/stupidity. :shepspends:

Progress:

1. Surprisingly at $73k~ already. On-target I would say.

2. Waiting to confirm my limit for this year. Will probably wait until the summer to max this out.

3. Contributed $3500 so far. My tax return should be around $7k (I should have adjusted my withholding), which will go toward this.

4. Despite the record-setting snowfall in February, I've managed to keep biking and not die. This car-less lifestyle, outside of occasionally renting, is going great.

When the cold weather hit in January I bought another bike, totalling around $700. It felt like an impulse buy, but I needed a hybrid for the cold, but clear days. My beater road bike just wasn't cutting it due to the handlebar type. As a result my spending is about $600 more than budgeted for Jan/Feb. Fortunately I don't think I'll be making any other big purchases this year. I am set for bike stuff and clothes. Anything that could pop up is taken care of.

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 3, 2015

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Specifics:

Progress #2

1. Passed $100,000 today! Barring a stock market collapse I should be well over $100k on New Years.
2. Limit for this year will actually be $6500~, as I forgot that my re-contributions for the amount I took out under the Home Buyer's Plan do not count toward my limit. $3,000 contributed so far.
3. $19k~ contributed so far. I may not hit my $27k goal...it'll be close though. The extra RRSP room took away from this.
4. Gearing up for winter #2. :getin:

• Locked thread