Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Salary is currently $36,000/yr gross.

2015 Concrete Goals:
- Pay off remaining $6,850 on my private student loans in 6-8 months instead of my currently projected 13.
- Do not break my 18 month streak of increasing my total net worth every month
- Obtain a net worth of at least $0 including retirement accounts. (Currently -$15,530)
- End 2015 with at least $15k liquid assets.

2015 Fuzzy Goals:
- Maintain emergency fund and various reasonable savings goals I am already allocating money to.
- Fund Roth IRA OR begin over-payment on Federal student loans. I don't think I can feasibly do both.
- Save up and move out of my uncle's house. Complicated because this involves some life decisions I haven't made yet.
- Save up and go on vacation to finally visit my brother in California, because I have been intending to for seven years and it's about drat time I actually do it.
- Find additional sources of income.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

slap me silly posted:

Looks great. Let me help you zoom in on the low-hanging fruit:

What are you doing now, and what options do you see for branching out?
I have my current full time job and nothing else, and I'm not really sure what I should look into at all. I've tended to not really be confident in being able to come up with any ideas either.

I just want some more money man.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Veskit posted:

Very late to the party but here goes

1) Be free of consumer debt, which stands at around $6,000
2) Have 3 months of expenses saved up
3) Budget all year (I stopped for 3 months)
4) Do these things and be able to afford to go to EVO 2015

It's fairly simple overall because about 1k of that consumer debt is in dumb collections that need to be removed all together. The rest is a credit card that is at 5 grand. I hate that stupid thing but It also allowed me to survive while being under/unemployed out of college. If I get a bonus this year it'll be really simple.

I didn't write this in 2014, but that year I paid back 8k in debt alone (while getting hosed by interest) so I think I'll have an easy time hitting those goals this year. I also didn't get a substantial bonus last year because I was too new to the company. Wish me luck everyone.
Good goals, may I suggest another one?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm just joshin Veskit with that gif.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

- Pay off remaining $6,850 on my private student loans in 6-8 months instead of my currently projected 13.
Done as of three days ago. Cut my emergency fund in half to do it but it was worth it just to be down to my federal loan. Which is still large and imposing.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Salary is currently $36,000/yr gross.

2015 Concrete Goals:
- Do not break my 18 month streak of increasing my total net worth every month
- Obtain a net worth of at least $0 including retirement accounts. (Currently -$15,530)
- End 2015 with at least $15k liquid assets.

2015 Fuzzy Goals:
- Maintain emergency fund and various reasonable savings goals I am already allocating money to.
- Fund Roth IRA OR begin over-payment on Federal student loans. I don't think I can feasibly do both.
- Save up and move out of my uncle's house. Complicated because this involves some life decisions I haven't made yet.
- Save up and go on vacation to finally visit my brother in California, because I have been intending to for seven years and it's about drat time I actually do it.
- Find additional sources of income.

Time for a check-in!
- Private student loans are paid off as of 2/20/2015. Along with my tax return I cut my emergency fund in half to just wipe it out and be done. My emergency fund was too big anyway.
- My net worth has gone up by at least 1.5k every month this year so far, feelin good!
- Net worth will be -$7,300 when I get paid on Friday. I'm on task.
- Currently $11.3k I think I'm on task here too. I took a bit of a hit when I paid off the private loan but I should be able to get there, unless I decide I don't need that much and dump it on the federal loan instead.

- Savings goals are on task
- Decided to pay down my federal loans aggressively instead of funding the Roth. Paying at least $600 a month. Still not totally sure about this, my loan is 5.125% and currently floating at $22.2K so I kinda feel like the Roth is more optimal, but I also want that psychological win when I am out of debt ASAP.
- Moving out is on hold, life stuff, nothing to do with finances.
- Vacations are on track.
- Extra money inflow is eh. I got my COLA raise at work but that doesn't really count towards much. I'll figure something out. Not really creative, not really comfortable spending money to make money later. Did apply to a different job at my current employer, I hope that works out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=439013450

2015 Concrete Goals:
- Pay off remaining $6,850 on my private student loans in 6-8 months instead of my currently projected 13. DONE
- Do not break my 18 month streak of increasing my total net worth every month DONE
- Obtain a net worth of at least $0 including retirement accounts. (Currently -$15,530) DONE, ~$8k
- End 2015 with at least $15k liquid assets. DONE, ~$19k but will soon vanish...

2015 Fuzzy Goals:
- Maintain emergency fund and various reasonable savings goals I am already allocating money to. DONE
- Fund Roth IRA OR begin over-payment on Federal student loans. I don't think I can feasibly do both. PARTIALLY DONE, started overpaying but stopped to achieve next goal
- Save up and move out of my uncle's house. Complicated because this involves some life decisions I haven't made yet. DONE, waiting on house to close, should be moving in by the end of Jan
- Save up and go on vacation to finally visit my brother in California, because I have been intending to for seven years and it's about drat time I actually do it. NOT DONE, scheduling issues, it'll happen next year probably.
- Find additional sources of income. NOT DONE, :shrug:

I don't want the gang tag but do me a huge solid and give it to Veskit instead so I can dunk on him,

:laffo:

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 29, 2015

• Locked thread