Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

Goals for next year, by priority:

- stick to the new itemized budget. Shuffle money between categories as needed instead of pulling money out of savings.
- save up deposit for move
- collect old deposit from annoying roommates after move instead of avoiding the issue because they're too annoying, seriously it's a lot of money and I owe some of it to someone else
- pay off smallest loan
- double e-fund to 8k
- start some kind of retirement savings, either 401 or IRA, do some research self
- attack the highest interest loan and at least half it
- restock the etsy store and try to at least cover my hobby expenses there

Bring it year of the sheep! :homebrew:

oh and: don't start smoking again!

eta: just set all my loans to autopay every month and discovered that all but one of them gets a .25% interest reduction as a result. already making progress!

fuzzy_logic fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

fuzzy_logic posted:

- stick to the new itemized budget. Shuffle money between categories as needed instead of pulling money out of savings.
- collect old deposit from annoying roommates after move instead of avoiding the issue because they're too annoying, seriously it's a lot of money and I owe some of it to someone else
- pay off smallest loan
- double e-fund to 8k
- start some kind of retirement savings, either 401 or IRA, do some research self

#1 - doing okay, went over a bit the last 2 months but I spent the last week horribly ill, so eating nothing, going nowhere and not doing anything may have re-balanced things
#2 - DONE, had plenty for deposit, pet deposit, prorated rent AND I can have someone paint the room and move my stuff!
#3 - unclear
#4 - nearly done
#5 - hopefully still doable, not really on track for this until 4 is done
#6 - got the form to fill out, haven't turned it in yet. Progress?
#7 - underway, going really well :black101:
#8 - no progress, but haven't spent anything on hobby yet this year, cleaning out stash yarn and using presents I got at Christmas :)

Overall I think I'm doing good. Also moving to a place that will cost slightly more but offer a much better lifestyle compared to what I get at the current place. If I can get the dollar amount of my original deposit and pry it from my roommates' broke-rear end fingers I'll be very very happy.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

goal #3 is done, roommates say they'll give back the whole deposit but because they are not very good with money I may not be getting it until May at the earlierest. ~_~

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

fuzzy_logic posted:

- pay off smallest loan
- double e-fund to 8k

eta: just set all my loans to autopay every month and discovered that all but one of them gets a .25% interest reduction as a result. already making progress!

1) haven't gone into savings yet, practicing not using the super granular itemized budget.
2) DONE
3) ughhhhh I don't even
4) DONE
5) working on it
6) haven't done this yet
7) slaughtering this one
8) nope. But I have been on a yarn and pattern moratorium and finished up a bunch of old projects.

have not begun smoking again.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

Quit my job and got a new one, less money but a pension that'll be matched by the company at 200%. They're gonna force me to save by taking 7% out before taxes for the pension whether I like it or not (I do). So the budget will need rejiggering but in the long run I'm going to benefit :)

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

fuzzy_logic posted:

- pay off smallest loan
- double e-fund to 8k

This'll wrap everything up but whatever the final numbers end up being. As I said I switched jobs to one where I make 4000 less a year gross, plus 7% being removed for a pension leaving me at around 10k less gross than I used to get. This has necessaitated changing my budget and I ran up my credit card a tad, but I'm feeling good about it. As for actual goals:

budget - set up a new one and am sticking to it - DONE
deposit - DONE
old deposit - NOT DONE, old roommates skipped town because they suck and I decided nto to both chasing them across state lines
smallest loan - DONE
e-fund - NOT DONE, got up to 5k and may get a little higher by the end of the year
retirement - DONE, out of my hands since I have a sick pension now
highest loan - NOT DONE, ended up significantly lower but not halved as I'd hoped for. My total student loans are going to drop below 50k this month which is VERY EXCITING
etsy stuff - NOT DONE

So on paper I didn't do so great but my goals kinda shifted significantly partway through the year. Once I pay my credit card down I'll shift back to getting tough on those loans and the e-fund.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

I didn't really earn the gang tag this year :( it's hard to plan for a full 365 that far in advance!

Original post:

fuzzy_logic posted:

- pay off smallest loan
- double e-fund to 8k

After this I moved to a new neighborhood and quit my job, got a job working in the public sector so my income went down but I now have a pension so yay retirement saving!
Final accomplishments:

1 - doing ok at this but blew it after switching jobs and again in December
2 - did this
3 - annoying roommates skipped town, I chose not to bother chasing them into another state
4 - did this
5 - failed! but I did get my savings back to pre-move levels very quickly
6 - this was done for me lol, involuntary pretax pension withdrawals
7 - failed! highest interest loan started out at 9900 and is now 7500
8 - failed! didn't sell a drat thing this year

That's a less than 50% success rate but at least I don't hate my job and my roommates now

on the plus side, total loans dropped below 50k and I'm starting to finally feel optimistic about paying them off - the website shows me how many months I take off the life of the loan every time I overpay and as of right now I have owed $0 on them for about four months but am still overpaying.

Also I'm 2 years not smoking, I think it finally took this time :peanut:

• Locked thread