Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

TouchyMcFeely posted:

I currently have just shy of $200,000 in my 401k. I'm on the fence one whether I want to start maxing the 401k out again or use that money to purchase a rental home. We'd be treating the rental home as a retirement investment meaning that profits from it would be going directly into an IRA but contributing to a 401k is just so much easier and less scary. Thankfully we have a bit of time to figure it out but for some reason the idea of being a landlord really appeals to me.

A single rental house is a high-risk investment, and if it's part of your retirement portfolio it could really reduce your diversification. There are a lot of ways you could set this up, what approach are you eyeing? Purchase it inside or outside of the retirement account? Contribute how much to the retirement accounts otherwise? Etc. In other words, what are the compromises you'd be making?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Looks great. Let me help you zoom in on the low-hanging fruit:

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

- Find additional sources of income.

What are you doing now, and what options do you see for branching out?

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Those who were active in the 2014 thread see here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3599878&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post439646372

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Nocheez posted:

- Reduce clutter in the house.

Ooh, stealing this one. I literally have hired somebody to come in and kick my rear end into clearing out junk, the appointment is next week. It will probably take more than one. This fits in with finances sort of somehow because eventually I might buy another house in a different part of town, or even build one. I probably will want to keep the one I'm in now and rent it out, but whether I do that or sell it, it will go a lot more smoothly if I've already gotten rid of all the crap I've accumulated. Who knew you could collect this much useless poo poo in one place in five short years.

Oh, and also I'm saving up cash to be able to do the buying or building without selling the current place. Since I don't have any idea how much that will cost I also don't have any idea what my savings goal is so I'm just shoving money away on the regular and trying to buy less shiny things.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's a real pleasure for me to check into a hotel room and have 4x the room I need for all my stuff in the drawers and whatnot.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Haha! I've done the capsule thing too and you are exactly right. They gave me one locker at the reception desk and I was barely able to cram my backpack in it.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

slap me silly posted:

Who knew you could collect this much useless poo poo in one place in five short years.

One carload of useless poo poo has been excised from the premises! This is a financial win because

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Not a Children posted:

I submit that the reward for a sucessful year should be a gang tag and further that it should be this:

I like! Anyone who wants this and feels they deserve it, post in here with

(1) Link to the post with your original goals
(2) Link to the post that tells how you did

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

slap me silly posted:

I like! Anyone who wants this and feels they deserve it, post in here with

(1) Link to the post with your original goals
(2) Link to the post that tells how you did

Just to be clear, be sure you also say explicitly that you want it, I won't inflict it on the undesiring innocent no matter your achievements :)

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Not a Children posted:

Thanks! Guess I'll embrace it since I made it.

TouchyMcFeely posted:

I like it and I'll take it!

Sundae posted:

Sweet. I like it and want it.

Queued, holler at me if anything looks weird once they kick in. Keep 'em coming!!

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

balancedbias posted:

YES! I want it!

Queued!

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Dead Pressed posted:

Oh man, I want that gang tag so bad. That's badass. Oh well, glad I at least set some goals up for 2016.

Pity tag since you started the 2016 thread! Queued

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Omne posted:

I deserve like half the tag since I accomplished half my 2015 goals

Dude, you got married AND bought a house. :cheeky:

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

spinst posted:

All and all, not bad. Gang tag please!

In progress!

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Omne posted:

Good point! I'll take it then

Hahaha, my point was the opposite, getting married and buying houses are probably the two biggest BFC sins. But I guess doing it without destroying your net worth is a pretty solid accomplishment :D Title change queued!

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Coming your way!

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Queued. Hmm, wonder if BFC needs a Gross Cat House award

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

app posted:

Sign me up for the gang tag!

Incoming!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Claverjoe posted:

I'll leave it to the person behind the tag if you think I deserve the sweet gang tag.
Well, I looked at your post and thought about it and the tag says "401k" and one of your goals was retirement savings and your end of year post says "no retirement account" and I had to come down on the side of no :( sorry man. Keep plugging away, this'll be a hell of a lot easier once some of your temporary stuff has passed and you did good reducing the credit card instead of increasing it!

spwrozek posted:

So I leave it up to you slap me silly.
Both of you in good shape after the divorce and you paid down a bunch of loans, that's a win in my book.

pig slut lisa posted:

e: I do not deserve the gangtag because I went to Las Vegas last week and broke my rule about not dipping into previous days' winnings/remainders on following days. Ended down $300 farther than I would have had I not done this. Stupid stupid.
All the other stuff more than made up for this one-time failure of sanity so I gave you the tag anyway. I can always take it away again if you beg nicely :)

Devian666 posted:

I'll take the gang tag as well. I met and exceeded my goals in the most roundabout fashion possible.
Hmm, a lot of what happened was outside your control, basically you're claiming market movements and acts of god as success at your goals which is not in the spirit of the thread :) Did you at least maintain the $88/mo into the kiwisaver account all year?

Not going to bother listing all the others. If I missed yours, holler at me. Nice work, everyone, and keep at it!

• Locked thread