Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Awww yeah sons, I'll quantify this poo poo this time. I have some weird cash flow, so I am listing goals for the end of this year and next year separately:

I get a minimum of 30% of my total comp as a one-time bonus payout at the end of the year, which this year at minimum is $39k.

Goals for end of this year:
Right now, I'm tracking to receive a pretax payment of $50-55k.

Rebuild emergency fund - $10k in an Ally high-yield
Pay off car loan - $17k remaining @4.2% - this is my only debt
Squirrel away up to $5k for vacation and skiing
Rest (if there is any) to misc investment account/housing down payment fund

During 2015 before 2015 one-time bonus
anticipated net monthly income (incl 401k witholding) $5580/mo
anticipated total monthly expenses $3380/mo

Goals:
Max out 401k - $18k
Roth IRA - $2k
Misc investment/housing downpayment fund - $5k

I should have enough to hit goals and have a grand or so left over, plus the money I get back from the govt. SHOULD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Awww yeah sons, I'll quantify this poo poo this time. I have some weird cash flow, so I am listing goals for the end of this year and next year separately:

I get a minimum of 30% of my total comp as a one-time bonus payout at the end of the year, which this year at minimum is $39k.

Goals:
Max out 401k - $18k
Roth IRA - $2k
Misc investment/housing downpayment fund - $5k

I should have enough to hit goals and have a grand or so left over, plus the money I get back from the govt. SHOULD.

Realized that I will be well over the Roth IRA income limit this year. I will switch that money to housing downpayment fund.

Goals:
Max out 401k - $18k
Misc investment/housing downpayment fund - $7.5k

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Pretax $52k, post-tax $29k. It'll drop to me on Friday.

This means I can only squirrel away about $2k for vacation and skiing, which is slightly below where I wanted to be.

I have decided to keep car loan payoff money in a separate account and pay it off gradually over this year. The rationale there is that I have made a couple late payments in the past on credit cards due to sheer laziness, so subdividing this payoff in to 12 on-time payments throughout the year allows me to improve the numerator and denominator of my on-time payments score. If this is a crackhead scheme, someone say something.

I also have to run a cost-cutting purge around the cable bill, cancel MLB.tv and some other things I don't really need to be paying for. Call it end-of year budget housekeeping. I have already entirely offloaded cell phone bill responsibility to work, so that frees up 12-1400 a year.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

SlapActionJackson posted:

Nah, contribute to a Roth with the backdoor method instead: http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Backdoor_Roth_IRA

Yeah, I'm thinking about this, but I looked at my Roth IRA and I actually have way more money in there than I thought (oops), so the housing downpayment is a higher priority anyway.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

Possibly a dumb question; but about ready to start posting ITT and just realised, you guys are all doing goals for the financial year aren't you, not calendar. I'm in Australia so fin year is July 1 to June 30 but ive mentally been doing goals for calendar year

I run my goals CY because it makes sense to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Rebuild emergency fund - $10k in an Ally high-yield Done
Pay off car loan - $17k remaining @4.2% - this is my only debt Not done, paid off $8k with $9k remaining
Squirrel away up to $5k for vacation and skiing Done, I went skiing (and injured myself necessitating significant medical expenses, hurray) and I went to Finland, which was tight.

Goals:
Max out 401k - $18k Not done, very bad. $12.2k. Will need to hit this next year
Roth IRA - $2k Done
Misc investment/housing downpayment fund - $5k Not done, about $1,200 saved

I would call this largely unsuccessful, but I did make significant progress on each of the goals. Sidetracked by injury and car accident, which I managed to cover without putting a dent in efund although at the cost of a couple of my goals.

• Locked thread