Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

2015 GOALS

Reduce dining out spending to $150 every paycheck (two weeks). Based on my Quicken categories for last year, this will reduce my dining out expenses by about $1300 for the year, depending on how much I travel for work.* Of course, my actual savings will be somewhat less than that since my grocery bills should rise.

* Restaurant spending when I'm on work trips (and thus on per diem) won't count against this goal, so it should be pretty easy on pay periods where I'm travelling. In theory I should prorate the amount by the number of nights I'm home in a pay period, but I'll keep it simple this year.

Finish paying off my student loan by the end of June. I owe about $5K (down from $89K!), and I've been throwing about $1000 per month at it (after maxing out my employer 5% 401(k) match and my Roth IRA) for the past few years, so this wouldn't be too challenging -- except that my old paid-off truck got to the point where I'd had it in the shop six times in two months, so I ended up buying a car last October, and I have a car payment again. Fortunately, literally doubling my fuel efficiency has offset the car payment somewhat, but it's brought down what I can contribute to the loan a little. At least both the student loan and car payment are under 3% interest, and I have no other debt.

Save up enough for an overseas vacation by the end of the year. My sister just moved to Germany last month, and I'd like to take her up on her invitation to come stay with her for a couple weeks. Given the schedule of the project I'm on at work, I probably won't be able to actually take two weeks off until early 2016, but I'd like to have the money saved up by the end of this year. Back of the envelope calculations tell me I'll need to save about $3250 (no lodging expense, but a lot of margin for error built in for the other expenses). Hopefully I'll be able to cut that down by cashing in some frequent flier miles, but I'd rather save too much and be pleasantly surprised, so $3250 seems a reasonable goal. If I can get the student loan paid off by June, I figure I can immediately start throwing the amount I was putting toward it into a savings account; anything left over will likely go to extra payments on the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

Thanks! The end is in sight.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

Monthly updates, eh?

P.D.B. Fishsticks posted:

2015 GOALS

Reduce dining out spending to $150 every paycheck (two weeks). Based on my Quicken categories for last year, this will reduce my dining out expenses by about $1300 for the year, depending on how much I travel for work.* Of course, my actual savings will be somewhat less than that since my grocery bills should rise.

* Restaurant spending when I'm on work trips (and thus on per diem) won't count against this goal, so it should be pretty easy on pay periods where I'm travelling. In theory I should prorate the amount by the number of nights I'm home in a pay period, but I'll keep it simple this year.

Finish paying off my student loan by the end of June. I owe about $5K (down from $89K!), and I've been throwing about $1000 per month at it (after maxing out my employer 5% 401(k) match and my Roth IRA) for the past few years, so this wouldn't be too challenging -- except that my old paid-off truck got to the point where I'd had it in the shop six times in two months, so I ended up buying a car last October, and I have a car payment again. Fortunately, literally doubling my fuel efficiency has offset the car payment somewhat, but it's brought down what I can contribute to the loan a little. At least both the student loan and car payment are under 3% interest, and I have no other debt.

Save up enough for an overseas vacation by the end of the year. My sister just moved to Germany last month, and I'd like to take her up on her invitation to come stay with her for a couple weeks. Given the schedule of the project I'm on at work, I probably won't be able to actually take two weeks off until early 2016, but I'd like to have the money saved up by the end of this year. Back of the envelope calculations tell me I'll need to save about $3250 (no lodging expense, but a lot of margin for error built in for the other expenses). Hopefully I'll be able to cut that down by cashing in some frequent flier miles, but I'd rather save too much and be pleasantly surprised, so $3250 seems a reasonable goal. If I can get the student loan paid off by June, I figure I can immediately start throwing the amount I was putting toward it into a savings account; anything left over will likely go to extra payments on the car.

Restaurant spending is on track for the two data points I have.

For the student loan, I was able to throw a bit over a thousand at it at the beginning of January (which was already counted when I posted the goals).

Overseas vacation savings is on hold until the student loan is paid off.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

Congratulations! That moment of net worth crossing above zero is a great feeling.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Exactly! I was initially doing it in order to get the employer max ASAP, but now I figure I may as well do it until I hit the limit (and then drop to 0% for the rest of the year)/

Is the employer match per year or per paycheck, though?

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

Nocheez posted:

- Reduce stress levels and amount of clutter in the house.
This is the best one so far. My new job is pretty awesome and the company is very laid back. I've also gotten to do some traveling and will be building up reward points at hotels and airline miles. This will make vacations cheaper in the long run.

I actually have found (work) travel and reducing clutter to go hand in hand. Once I began spending a significant percentage of my nights in hotel rooms, I learned very quickly how little stuff I actually needed.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

2015 GOALS

1. Restaurant spending is still on track and pretty consistent. It's been a lot easier to stay under my $150 limit than I thought it would be.

2. I didn't get to pay as much on my student loans as I'd hoped for my February statement. But I've already paid $625 on my March statement, so that one should look better. I'm still not certain that I'll be able to hit zero by the end of June, though.

3. Won't start until #2 is paid off.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

Since my student loan payoff is my primary goal, and my student loan statement comes in the middle of the month, I realized it's a little silly to be reporting my progress at the beginning of the month since it's already out of date. Starting in April, I'll be reporting my monthly progress once I receive my student loan statement in the middle of the month.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

2015 GOALS

Doing well here. I had a couple paychecks where I was traveling for work at least part of both weeks, dropping my personal restaurant spend.

I was also able to pay off quite a bit of the student loan this month.

Still on hold; student loan not yet paid off.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

legsarerequired posted:

It sounds crazy, but I feel like my six-month emergency savings should be at least $7500.
It's not terribly crazy. My 6-month emergency savings are slightly above $10000, and I'd like them to be higher. Good job, though!

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

2015 GOALS

I went over budget once due to our anniversary dinner (that all alone cost more than the budget). However, I've been far enough under most periods this year that my biweekly average is still only $119.

Doing very well here; I paid off nearly half of the remaining balance in one payment. I don't think I'll quite be able to finish it off this month, but it should be gone in two months.

Still on hold; student loan not yet paid off.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

Still doing good.

:siren: Success! :siren:

My student loans are completely paid off as of this month.

So I suppose I have no excuse for starting this next month.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

Thanks! It does, though my first paycheck without having to put anything aside for the student loan felt really weird, like something was missing.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

Reduce dining out spending to $150 every paycheck (two weeks).

Still doing good on this. Had one pay period's spend slightly over, but the average for the year is still $121.16 spent per two weeks.

Finish paying off my student loan by the end of June.

Finished in June.

And here's where I didn't do well. I don't remember if I posted about it yet in this thread, but I actually had a smaller summer vacation planned this month (half a week in Tucson and half a week in Vancouver) -- I already had saved for it, so I wasn't including it in my statistics.

But there must have been some sort of euphoria from having the student loan paid off, because I blew the budget on that trip, mostly by booking an unbudgeted rental car in Vancouver a couple weeks before the trip. I'd just been planning on transit, my girlfriend didn't want to and asked if we could get a rental car instead, and since I was feeling good about my finances and the exchange rate, I said yes.

So, long story short, what I was planning to put into vacation savings ended up going to covering overspending on a previously planned trip. I was fortunately able to about break even, but I was not able to contribute anything to my Germany vacation.

No excuses, though. Lesson learned: just because I don't have an enormous student loan payment anymore doesn't mean I don't have to be careful with money.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

Congratulations on a six figure net worth! It felt really good to pass that threshold.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

Restaurant spend went slightly over last pay period, mostly due to an anniversary dinner. The average is still $125, so I'm still well on track for the year.

Goal met.

Save up enough for an overseas vacation by the end of the year.

I'm started, though we'll see if I can maintain this pace.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

I've considered (principal) debt repayment as counting toward my savings, as it's increasing my net worth. I counted the interest portion of my payments as an expense, though.

I'm still doing well – my year-to-date average is $126 per paycheck.

Completed.

Progressing well; I'm now at $2194 saved, and I've used some of that to buy the transatlantic flights.

The vacation plans have changed a bit - my girlfriend will be coming along, and we'll be going to more than just Germany, so I'll have some hotel expenses and twice the expense on flights. However, we're also pushing the vacation to the end of March to give us time to save, and I was able to get two of our four transatlantic flights on miles. Right now, it looks like I'll need to save about $6000 by the end of March (depending on exchange rates), but the needed savings rate doesn't change, so I'll keep my end of 2015 goal the same.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

Earlier in the month, a pipe in the apartment above mine burst, soaking my carpet and forcing me to spend a few days in a hotel while my landlord fixed it. Supposedly, the check's in the mail for reimbursement for the hotel. Regardless, a couple nights extra of eating out put me a little above where I ought to have been one pay period. I made up for it the following pay period and my average is still good for the year.

Done.

Save up enough for an overseas vacation by the end of the year.

My savings rate went down a little because of having to float the hotel bill during the above carpet flooding, but I'm still doing pretty good against the vacation goal.

I also went ahead and prepaid most of my hotel rooms out of the vacation savings I've saved already – I'd rather lock in the exchange rate now rather than trying to budget around a changing exchange rate for the largest expenses on my trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

End of year update!

Success, sort of.

When setting this goal, I didn't take into consideration all of the November/December people visiting from out of town for the holidays, which really jumped up my restaurant spending at the end of the year. However, I was enough below my goal for enough weeks that my average is still $137.12. I'm counting it as a victory, but I'm taking the lesson that I need to be more specific in my future goals as to whether average counts.

Success!

Success! Saving for a vacation is much, much easier without that student loan.

And yes, I'd be interested in getting that tag!

• Locked thread