Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm going to set a 2015 goal to hit $175k in non-retirement liquid assets by the end of 2015 :yum:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Baja Mofufu posted:

Annual pre-tax retirement savings $62K (His 401k + match, Her 403b and 457b)
Annual post-tax savings $51K (His and Hers Roth IRAs + $40K to investments)

Holy moly, how is it even possible to legally get $113k a year into retirement funds?!

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Baja Mofufu posted:

Yep, the pretax accounts are 3 x $17.5K ($52.5K) plus my husband's annual match and a bit of deferred comp ($9K). I actually forgot about my annual deferred comp ($3K) so the total there is $64K, making the total into retirement accounts (+ Roth IRAs) = $75K.

balancedbias has it right about the $40K going into a taxable brokerage account. We're saving pretty aggressively to try to make up for the fact that we were both in grad school until age 28.

Ah, I missed that last $40k being a private account. Whatever though, :stare: indeed, great job!!

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

District Selectman posted:

I'm going to set a 2015 goal to hit $175k in non-retirement liquid assets by the end of 2015 :yum:

End of December 2014 to almost end of January 2015, up from $97k to $110k. On my way :yum:

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

End of December 2014 to almost end of January 2015, up from $97k to $110k. On my way :yum:

Edit for miscalculation: End of February 2015, up to $127k. Killing it :yum:

District Selectman fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 7, 2015

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

legsarerequired posted:

Background:
- 26 year old single woman
- Salary: $41k/year
- Moved back in with my parents in December 2014 to un-gently caress my finances
- Started off the year with ~$2700 in cc debt
- 401k: vested in ~$19000, $21k total
- Roth IRA: ~$1700 at the beginning of the year
- Emergency savings: $400 at the beginning of the year

It's embarassing to type out my background but at least I'm trying to improve. :unsmith:

You should absolutely not be embarrassed by this!

Also, just the fact that you're aware of your personal finances, I can guarantee you will be in awesome shape in no time. BFC is a self selected group. This forum is not representative of the general population. I've gleaned information from my friends over the years that's shocked me. Outwardly successful or even seemingly frugal people that are totally broke, or people who you think are *only* broke that are $50k in debt with an $8/hour poo poo job. I'm 32 also. My friends are generally around my age. Broke as poo poo.

It's the seemingly frugal people that confuse me the most. These are people who don't own nice things, don't drive an expensive car, live with roommates, eat noodles and canned tuna fish, don't travel the world, and make $75k a year. WHERE IS YOUR MONEY GOING??

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

pig slut lisa posted:

The Bad With Money Thread formally requests an investigation of these people you know

It took me years to even put together the clues that they are indeed quite broke, and I'll never be like, "Hey friend, so I was wondering. How are you so broke? I ask because you have a good job, but no nice things and also no money."

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

End of February 2015, up to $127k. Killing it :yum:

March: $144k so that's cool :yum:

This will slow down, but I think $200k is within reach this year

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
The long term investment thread would not approve

My retirement portfolio is pretty conservative though

District Selectman fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 27, 2015

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I don't understand how budgeting is hard to do in 2015 with all of the automated options available, but maybe my finances just aren't complicated and I'm blissfully ignorant.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

legsarerequired posted:

A note for people kind enough to give advice: Thank you all so much for reading and being sweet enough to give advice! But when you give advice, please remember that I am extremely impulsive. Ideally I would be a disciplined person that makes good long-term decisions based on my understanding of money, but I'm not there yet. For now the best thing to do is to hide things that are bad for me. I know it's childish and doesn't make sense, but if any advice you give relies on my making decent decisions with large amounts of money, it is probably just advice that would result on my blowing it on a trip to China or on extra sushi for lunch.

There's that classic trick of freezing your credit card - but that's pretty old school for 2015. Putting large amounts in your 401k to protect you from yourself is a good idea! I did it too. What also helped me for some reason was to split my paycheck into both savings and checking. I put a specific amount in checking to cover my budget. That way, when I needed to pay credit card bills over my budget, I had to dip into savings, and it made me feel dirty. Also if you online shop a lot, try just adding things to your cart and then only allowing yourself to make purchases one day a week, like Sunday.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Missed a month, but May: $165k in liquid non-retirement assets. :yum:

I"m $10k away from my original goal of $175k, and $35k from my stretch goal of $200k. I'm pretty confident I'll hit my original goal next month. 6 months early!

Also like Sundae, I continue to have no babies or own a house :kiddo:

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Omne, do BFC proud!! It's just a fancy party after all. I have no experience planning a wedding or getting married so yeah, take my opinion for what it's worth. I bet that would be a cool thread though. BFC Weddings: Got My Mind on My Matrimony or BFC Weddings: Sash Rules Everything Around Me or you know, choose your own pun.

Missed a month, but May: $165k in liquid non-retirement assets. :yum:

I"m $10k away from my original goal of $175k, and $35k from my stretch goal of $200k. I'm pretty confident I'll hit my original goal next month. 6 months early!

Also like Sundae, I continue to have no babies or own a house :kiddo:

$165k to $170k in June, the struggle is real :negative:

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

$165k to $170k in June, the struggle is real :negative:

$170k to $173k in July, the struggle keeps it 100, but I am actually only $2k away from my original goal, so OK!

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

$170k to $173k in July, the struggle keeps it 100, but I am actually only $2k away from my original goal, so OK!

Well I lost money this month. $173k to $164! Thanks China! The crazy thing is I "saved" $10k in cash this month, but I lost $19 in investments. Deep down I know this is cool and good but it's making my posts ITT less cool and good.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Well I lost money this month. $173k to $164! Thanks China! The crazy thing is I "saved" $10k in cash this month, but I lost $19 in investments. Deep down I know this is cool and good but it's making my posts ITT less cool and good.

Back up to $178k. God drat it I will make it to $200k this year !!

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
OK, getting towards the end of the year, time to review. Here was the initial goal:

And to give myself some reference on where I started at:

But the first couple of months went unreasonably well, so I updated the goal to keep me hungry:

Bounced around quite a bit during the year, but with 26 days left in this year of our lord and savior, I'm up to $196k non-retirement monies. I guess I crushed my initial goal of $175k but goddamn I want to hit this arbitrary goal. $4k is definitely a reasonable goal, although I'm sure I'll spend a lot of money in December.

Goals for 2016 are going to be weird. I've had things set in motion for a few years now to engineer my layoff around mid year, so income will be uncertain after that, but, should my plan play out till the end, I'll be getting $50-$100k, depending on whether I just get a severance package or a severance package plus pension buy out. I am seriously considering not working for the rest of the year after my layoff. So, in 206 it may turn out that my financial goals are less growth-y and more figure out life-y.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

MrKatharsis posted:

^^^Looks like you didn't need a thread but it would have been an awesome diversion from the regular BFC mud wrestling. Congratulations!

Yeah, the good stories where people turn it around are always quiet, while the Slow Mo-esque train wrecks are loud and gaudy

• Locked thread