Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

2014 was an interesting year for me. On the positive, I increased my income from $80k to $90k via promotions and merit increases, I paid off all of my remaining credit card debt and used them responsibly for day-to-day purchases, never carrying a balance. I paid cash for trips to Chicago, NYC, a MacBook and a road bike. On the other hand, I didn't add to my savings and at the end of the year I financed a new car. Oops.

Current Status
$90k pre-tax salary
8% contribution into 401k, 3.5% company match ($42k balance)
$5k emergency fund

So, for 215, my goals are:

1) Save $10k
1a) Prioritize that so my emergency fund grows from $5k to $10k
2) Make double-payments on my highest interest student loan
3) Max out a Roth IRA
4) Make some side income
5) Continue to avoid credit card balances and increase 401k contributions to 9%

Omne fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I have my current full time job and nothing else, and I'm not really sure what I should look into at all. I've tended to not really be confident in being able to come up with any ideas either.

I just want some more money man.

I'm in the same boat. I have a blog about running, but no one cares enough for it to generate revenue or anything.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Omne posted:

1) Save $10k
3) Max out a Roth IRA
4) Make some side income

1) On track
1a) Very much on track
2) Not yet started
3) On track
4) Haha nope
6) On track

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Omne posted:

1) Save $10k
3) Max out a Roth IRA
4) Make some side income

1) Right now, I should blow this out of the water. I've got $6700 in my emergency fund and $5700 in other savings so far.
2) Emergency fund is up to $6700, so this is on track
3) On track still, unless I need this for something else...
4) Nope, not even close. Any ideas?
5) No CC debt, and my contributions increased to 9% in March!

Omne fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 2, 2015

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Omne posted:

1) Save $10k
3) Max out a Roth IRA
4) Make some side income

Well, things have gotten interesting. In late May, the little lady and I got engaged, so now there's a wedding to plan. We'll be paying for it ourselves, which makes my goals dificult...

1) This WAS on track, until I bought an engagement ring with my non-emergency fund savings...
1a) Still on track with this, though. Current balance is up to $7900
2) I stopped after April, so I'm technically two months behind on this goal now
3) I stopped contributing to this line item, which currently sits at $1850
4) Haha nope
5) Successful once again. Credit card is always paid off every two weeks, and my 401k contributions are at 9% as of March. Merit increase happens in October, at which point I'll likely bump it up to 10%

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

District Selectman posted:

Omne, do BFC proud!! It's just a fancy party after all. I have no experience planning a wedding or getting married so yeah, take my opinion for what it's worth. I bet that would be a cool thread though. BFC Weddings: Got My Mind on My Matrimony or BFC Weddings: Sash Rules Everything Around Me or you know, choose your own pun.

$165k to $170k in June, the struggle is real :negative:

Thanks all!

There's a weddings and engagement thread in Ask/Tell that I follow. We have set our budget and will stick to it! We know what our priorities are and will focus on those, while skimping on other crap (flowers, invitations, etc.)

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Omne said at the beginning of the year posted:

1) Save $10k
3) Max out a Roth IRA
4) Make some side income

Omne posted:

Well, things have gotten interesting. In late May, the little lady and I got engaged, so now there's a wedding to plan. We'll be paying for it ourselves, which makes my goals dificult...

1) This WAS on track, until I bought an engagement ring with my non-emergency fund savings...
1a) Still on track with this, though. Current balance is up to $7900
2) I stopped after April, so I'm technically two months behind on this goal now
3) I stopped contributing to this line item, which currently sits at $1850
4) Haha nope
5) Successful once again. Credit card is always paid off every two weeks, and my 401k contributions are at 9% as of March. Merit increase happens in October, at which point I'll likely bump it up to 10%

BFC, don't be mad at me...in late August, the fiancee and I bought a house! I know, I know...

1) Haha nope, not gonna happen now!
1a) Thankfully I didn't hit this too much, so it's still at $7k. It's just not growing much anymore
2) Not necessarily double payments, but I've been trying to throw an extra $50 or $20 here and there
3) Nope. This became the wedding fund instead
4) Accomplished! I made $25 on Elance by writing product descriptions. Sure, it's no Sundae-level of side income, but it's a start
5) Successful still. 401k contributions are at 9% and the card is paid off every two weeks. On track for a 3% bump in pay in mid-October, 1% to 401k and 2% to debt.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

Possibly a dumb question; but about ready to start posting ITT and just realised, you guys are all doing goals for the financial year aren't you, not calendar. I'm in Australia so fin year is July 1 to June 30 but ive mentally been doing goals for calendar year

For most people I believe fiscal year and calendar year are the same. Regardless, I assume most everyone in here is posting goals based on a calendar year (I know I am)

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Omne posted:

Current Status
$90k pre-tax salary
8% contribution into 401k, 3.5% company match ($42k balance)
$5k emergency fund

1) Save $10k
3) Max out a Roth IRA
4) Make some side income

My end of the year update...how things changed so completely...

1) Failed. Between the engagement and the wedding, it's been rough. My emergency fund is at $7k
2) Nope. Failed, although I did pay extra this year
3) This turned into an engagement ring instead of a Roth IRA...
4) Success! I made a total of $47 on eLance by writing product descriptions
5) Success! Card is paid off every 2 weeks and 401k contribution is at 9%.

End of year balances:
Emergency fund: $5k to $7k
401k: $43k to $46k. I've been steadily contributing my 9% and the company match of 3.5%, it's just taken a hit in the market the last six months.
Student Loans: Paid off an extra $1200 on my biggest loan, which is no longer my biggest loan. Total balance is $30,573.11

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I deserve like half the tag since I accomplished half my 2015 goals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

slap me silly posted:

Dude, you got married AND bought a house. :cheeky:

Good point! I'll take it then

Original: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3687865&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post438962186
Final: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3687865&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=11#post453836663

• Locked thread