Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R
This year is the year we managed to get our finances well under control, so hopefully 2015 will be a big year for knocking out goals.

Currently:
$66,000 pre-tax income.
7% going to 401k (Company match max)
IRA at $3,250 a year.
$7600 in emergency savings.
$4,700 in credit card debt.
$2,500 car loan (at an absurdly low interest rate).

2015:
1. Knock out credit card debt.
2. Pay off remaining car loan.
3. Max out Roth IRA.
4. Increase income 10%.
5. Save enough to take the first honest-to-god, leave-town-and-do-something-recreational vacation of my adult life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003

pig slut lisa posted:

Where do you want to go?

My fiancee and I have thrown around the smoky mountains, Chicago, Montreal, Colorado, and the gulf coast of Florida as places we would both like to go, and could reasonably afford. Of course, the final decision would be based on cost, budget, time available, weather, and all sorts of other stuff.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003

Zuph posted:

2015:
3. Max out Roth IRA.
4. Increase income 10%.
5. Save enough to take the first honest-to-god, leave-town-and-do-something-recreational vacation of my adult life.

1. Credit Card Debt down to $4300 (from $4700)
2. Car loan down to $2200 (down from $2500)
3. No progress
4. Managed to negotiate a 9.1% raise at review time (:what: I high-balled, expecting to be met in the middle, instead my boss rounded up to the nearest $1000). Almost done!
5. No progress

Irresponsibly blew through more money on Christmas than I meant to, meaning I only managed to stay the course, rather than make real progress on anything. In any case, all goals are still achievable.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003

Zuph posted:

2015:
3. Max out Roth IRA.
4. Increase income 10%.

1. Credit Card Debt down to $3900 (from $4700)
2. Car loan down to $1800 (down from $2500)
3. No progress
4. 0.9% to go. I might just find $600 worth of junk to sell and call it good, but I'd like to find some more sustainable source of small side-income.
5. No progress

At the rate things are going, It's looking like it'll actually be February 2016 before I achieve goals 1 and 2. Looking at the budget, there aren't too many categories left to squeeze. Another reason to look for some side income.

On the plus side, I've been sticking hard to YNAB this year, and it's really helped reduce the amount of stress involved making these plans.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003

Zuph posted:

2015:
3. Max out Roth IRA.
4. Increase income 10%.

1. Credit Card Debt down to $3200 (from $4700)
2. Car loan down to $1200 (down from $2500)
3. No progress
4. Sold some junk, so combined with the big raise earlier this year, this goal is technically achieved, but the spirit of it was to generate some sustainable side income, so I'm still working on that.
5. No progress

Still on track to meet goals 1 and 2 by February. This was going to be the "get back on track" month, but we had a couple major appliances fail unexpectedly. Fortunately, this year's diligent budgeting meant that this event didn't cause us to lose ground, so I'm happy.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003

Zuph posted:

2015:
3. Max out Roth IRA.
4. Increase income 10%.

1. Credit Card Debt down to $2200 (from $4700)
2. Car loan down to $600 (down from $2500)
3. No progress
4. Done!
5. No progress, but I was able to turn a work trip to the Bay Area into a 10 day long stay with some friends, which was some much needed R&R, and really cheap.

Honestly, I've been budgeting money as though I've had another unexpressed goal, in trying to build up a monthly expense buffer. The effect has been pushing out all these yearly goals a few months into 2016, as if the goals stated here aren't enough. I'm going to use October's 3 paycheck month to get back on track, and make sure goals 1 and 2 are finished up by the end of the year (#2 should be knocked out by 10/31, #1 will be a squeaker). Unfortunately, #3 won't get done, but I'm going to hit 60% of the max roth contribution, and have a total retirement savings rate of 12.5% gross income for 2015. #5 probably won't get done either-- still hoping to maybe manage a long weekend trip somewhere, but no vacations in our near future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003

Zuph posted:

2015:
3. Max out Roth IRA.
4. Increase income 10%.

End of the year update!

1. Not Done, but really close. Under $900, from a peak of $4700. Should be able to get this knocked out by early February, no problem.
2. Done!
3. Not done.
4. Technically done, but I'm not really satisfied.
5. Close enough, kinda, between work sponsored trips to interesting places, and a bunch of events/day-trips, I'm not going stir crazy this year.

Almost out of debt, putting away a healthy 15% of my salary into retirement, and staying (more or less) on budget. Made clear headway throughout 2015, rather than living paycheck-to-paycheck (as in 2014 and earlier). Goal for 2016: Set better goals.

• Locked thread