Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING
I just got a new job with my net going up substantially (like 60%) so a lot of my 5-year plan that I set out before this new job popped up was designed for a lot lower income. I'm going to use this next year of -=BIG GAINZ=- to set me up for a new 5-year plan.

Currently:
Net worth: ~ -8k
Income: 100.000 pre tax with anywhere from 0-80,000 in daily rate, I'm assuming approx 40k pre tax for next year. Anything else will just be a happy bonus.
Unmarried, no kids
$5000 Emergency Fund
0 CC Debt
45k Private Student loans @ 6.5%
12k Consolidation loan @ 9.6%
28k Auto loan @ 3.2%

20k In former employer 401k
20k in Roth IRA
6k in TSP

Plan:

Work a lot, get that daily rate money. Should be working approximately half the year overseas.

Goal Zero: STOP EATING OUT! (already in progress)

Max out 401k (13%)
Roll over former employer 401k into new employer 401k (Terrible fund choices at the old employer, and underperforming as well)
Roll over the TSP into new employer's 401k (equally low expense ratios with the new employer)
Set up Traditional IRA and max out (I'll almost certainly exceed the limit to go directly into a Roth)
Divest the car, eat the amount that I'm underwater (about 6k) DONE 22DEC2014. Only took a hit of about 2200
Pay off consolidation loan
Bump emergency fund to 10k
Knock out as much of the student loans as is reasonably achievable.

If I get all of those done, I'll be pretty happy with myself, I suppose.

My first and most initial goal is to become 'worthless' and I'm expecting that to happen before February.
The retirement funding will be pretty much automatic, so no big changes there.

Manawski fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Dec 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING

Manawski posted:

Plan:

Work a lot, get that daily rate money. Should be working approximately half the year overseas. New Plan: stay employed at all costs.

Max out 401k (13%) Now 18%
Roll over former employer 401k into new employer 401k Rollover in process
Roll over the TSP into new employer's 401k I'll do this one after the Aon Hewitt one goes through
Set up Traditional IRA and max out
Divest the car, eat the amount that I'm underwater (about 6k) DONE 22DEC2014. Only took a hit of about 2200
Pay off consolidation loan
Bump emergency fund to 10k Took it to 16k just because my industry is currently in an extreme state of hosed and I'll be surprised if I'm not laid off by the end of the year
Knock out as much of the student loans as is reasonably achievable.

If I get all of those done, I'll be pretty happy with myself, I suppose.

My first and most initial goal is to become 'worthless' and I'm expecting that to happen before February. DONE! I'm at about +$7k and rising.

So far, so good. Oilfield Services is not looking like a winning industry right now, though. I hope my position at Corporate carries a little job security, but I'm not counting on it.

I put everything else aside for a month and went full force into maxing out the emergency fund. The extra money would fund an escape from Houston in the event of a layoff or worst case a 6-month long job search.

The consolidation loan is now a lower interest rate than the student loan, so I'll probably start chopping the student loan down first before the consolidation loan.

I also have a motorcycle that I've been meaning to sell. Come April, I'll have the time to sell it and should get about 2k out of that as well.

And then the net worth finally going positive. I'm really glad to see that red line finally come above the surface for the first time.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING

SpelledBackwards posted:

What do you mean by time to sell? Does it need work first? The sooner you sell it, the sooner you can also drop your insurance for it!

-I work a rotational travelling schedule, so it'll be late March/early April before I'm at home for a long enough time to start soliciting buyers. That and motorcycle prices tend to get a nice bump in spring, I figure I'll be able to get another 500-750 out of it.

• Locked thread