Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Young Freud posted:

CNN has slowly become Fox News over the years, serious talk.

Not quite, both obviously share total apathy for journalism except as a path to eyeballs for their advertisers, but CNN's massive incompetence and tendency to cater to the middle makes them way less dangerous than FOX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm pretty sure both stations cater to the middle.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Shageletic posted:

Why isn't the Drafthouse building a theater in actually inhabited New York City? Its crazy that I have to travel a good distance to get anything approaching a good cinema experience.

They were building one at the old Metro Theater (100th st & Broadway) but stopped right before they were going to renovate the place and scrapped plans. Think they're going ahead with one in Brooklyn, but that is too far for me to travel for movie going so I haven't paid much attention.

There's plenty of good cinema experiences in NYC though, including the AMC at 84th and Broadway and the theaters at Lincoln Center so?

The Chelsea Cinemas is also finally getting a renovation on a theater by theater basis.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
New York City doesn't need a Drafthouse.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

New York City doesn't need a Drafthouse.

I live in the hinterlands of the Bronx/Manhattan borderlands so I've never been, but isn't Nitehawk pretty much the same as a Drafthouse?

Anyway, I agree.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah that's pretty much the Nitehawk. All I frequent are the shitholes that nobody goes to (Quad Cinema and the like) or rep theatres that don't need any more frou-frou on top of what they've got for you (AFA and Film Forum).

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Random Stranger posted:

Oh man, no matter who it is, you know what they spill is going to be terrible.

I'll go for the wildcard and say that they're going to spill NPR's secrets. Looking forward to the e-mails: "Re: Caught Ira with the totebags, again. CAN WE PLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS?!"

That would be unusual as This American Life isn't made by NPR unless you meant when he worked for them in the early 1990's.

As for the leaks, either they're bluffing or they'll be destroyed like Bank of America's incriminating docs were.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What was the deal with that BOA stuff anyway, was it all just illegal industry practices and poo poo?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The saddest thing about FOX News is that national treasure Shepard Smith isn't allowed to be openly gay or he'd lose his job. :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6SAfvtuzhk

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I bet they let it happen at some point.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

precision posted:

The saddest thing about FOX News is that national treasure Shepard Smith isn't allowed to be openly gay or he'd lose his job. :smith:

I think on the list of saddest things about Fox News that's probably a 5 or 6

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What was the deal with that BOA stuff anyway, was it all just illegal industry practices and poo poo?

We don't know, the files were deleted by Daniel Domscheit-Berg while he was leaving Wikileaks. The only reason it was known it was BoA was due to them announcing beforehand they had contents of a hard drive from a BoA executive.

Anyway, I derailed this thread slightly so I'll re-explain. I was under the impression they would be released of Christmas and there wasn't anything then or now. It would be interesting to see them in terms of schadenfreude but I don't think they'll see the light of a computer screen.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Nighthawk is awesome. If we had another theater like Nighthawk I would only be happy. It's not strictly necessary but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be great.

I just can't believe how hard they dropped the ball on their locations. Upper West Side? South Brooklyn? Yonkers? Way to 100% not understand your target demographic.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Random Stranger posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that now that they've announced this, they don't actually do it beyond a few photo-opportunity releases. It's useless, meaningless, and stupidly expensive. It's a bare minimum of $10 per balloon so if they did it the way that they're claiming they're going to then they'd blow over a million dollars on this stunt with absolutely no benefit since no one in North Korea could watch it anyway.

I know this won't mesh well with your "lol hermit kingdom so ronery" conception of the DPRK but they do actually have televisions.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

HorseLord posted:

I know this won't mesh well with your "lol hermit kingdom so ronery" conception of the DPRK but they do actually have televisions.

Yes, they do. But they don't have a lot of computers that can play movies off of USB drives or even DVD players.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Eggnogium posted:

Not quite, both obviously share total apathy for journalism except as a path to eyeballs for their advertisers, but CNN's massive incompetence and tendency to cater to the middle makes them way less dangerous than FOX.

The Middle is just fence sitting silliness. Say what you want about Conservatism but at least itīs an ethos.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

HorseLord posted:

VHS is the standard for resistance media over there. The secret police regularly shut off the power and raid homes to check whether they had banned tapes in the family VCR.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
North Korea does have DVD players. It might surprise you but late 90s technology isn't an unknown for people who share a land border with china.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

HorseLord posted:

North Korea does have DVD players. It might surprise you but late 90s technology isn't an unknown for people who share a land border with china.

nahhhhh

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So was it Best Korea or some disgruntled employees then?

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Random Stranger posted:

Yes, they do. But they don't have a lot of computers that can play movies off of USB drives or even DVD players.

A significant enough quantity of people have some sort of electronic device capable of playing movies, and there is a vibrant black market in imported movies in the country. I highly recommend that everyone curious about foreign media exposure and general life in the DPRK watch this great documentary from Frontline, which is available online for free:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/secret-state-of-north-korea/

The filmmakers interview a North Korean who regularly smuggles Western and South Korean media into the DPRK. I believe they touch on the balloon thing as well (though I seem to recall that it hasn't been too successful).

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Middle is just fence sitting silliness. Say what you want about Conservatism but at least itīs an ethos.

That's why its dangerous. Which is basically what he was saying.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

HorseLord posted:

One of my favorite parts of all this, aside from Channing Tatum's emails, has been seeing people talk about North Korea like it's just a giant square of dirt and caves in the middle of the ocean.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

TetsuoTW posted:

One of my favorite parts of all this, aside from Channing Tatum's emails, has been seeing people talk about North Korea like it's just a giant square of dirt and caves in the middle of the ocean.

It's amazing how many people believe that kim jong-un's girlfriend's haircut was eaten alive by a firing squad as crowds of people mourned his golf score. Goons fall for every ridiculous bullshit story about the place, but claim they're the ones brainwashed.

HorseLord fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jan 3, 2015

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

On the other hand North Korea doesn't do itself any favors with some of the cartoonish bullshit it actually does. It's like they're that one kid in elementary school that you once saw eating dirt for an entire recess, so when someone tells you he totally got a dog to lick peanut butter off his balls and dick you can't help thinking it just might be true.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
...but you gently caress ONE goat...

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

TetsuoTW posted:

On the other hand North Korea doesn't do itself any favors with some of the cartoonish bullshit it actually does. It's like they're that one kid in elementary school that you once saw eating dirt for an entire recess, so when someone tells you he totally got a dog to lick peanut butter off his balls and dick you can't help thinking it just might be true.

Literally how the rest of the world views america

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

HorseLord posted:

It depends on who and where. Pyongyang: yeah probably, that's them putting their best foot forward. Where people are deliberately put out of the way and starving: probably not.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It is believable that they can't watch DVDs because they have radios set to a single frequency (and you get sent to a camp if you alter it) and watching a Hollywood movie is punished by death. Computer science students (children of the elite) don't even know what the internet is and their foreign teachers aren't allowed to tell them about it. One guy's family got sent to a camp because as a kid he took a poo poo and said it looked like the mountain that Kim Jong Il was(n't) born at the base of. It's easy to believe "crazy" things about the DPRK because even crazier things are true.

North Korea is like living on the moon.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

People believe normal people have rights in North Korea? :lol:

Watch some of the many documentaries and realize the country is a prison for all citizens.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

HorseLord posted:

Literally how the rest of the world views america
Nah, we can't come up with anything crazier than what it always turns out America is actually doing.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrCQh1usdzE

Highlight: The one North Korean sitting at the Google search screen pretending he's working.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Vintersorg posted:

People believe normal people have rights in North Korea? :lol:

Watch some of the many documentaries and realize the country is a prison for all citizens.

Have you watched the Frontline documentary I posted above? DPRK is a lovely, oppressive country, but it's not literally 1984. There's pretty interesting hidden camera footage of people mouthing off to soldiers, openly selling things on the black market, etc. In one interesting example a woman operating an illegal van transportation service is stopped by soldiers, immediately starts yelling at and even hitting them, and they simply walk away sheepishly. There are also horror stories of people being tortured in the streets, but this is not the only experience.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ok, dvds and usb drives are increasingly common in North Korea:

http://audiencescapes.org/sites/default/files/A_Quiet_Opening_FINAL_InterMedia.pdf

This is pretty different from what I had thought was the case.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

It is believable that they can't watch DVDs because they have radios set to a single frequency (and you get sent to a camp if you alter it) and watching a Hollywood movie is punished by death. Computer science students (children of the elite) don't even know what the internet is and their foreign teachers aren't allowed to tell them about it. One guy's family got sent to a camp because as a kid he took a poo poo and said it looked like the mountain that Kim Jong Il was(n't) born at the base of. It's easy to believe "crazy" things about the DPRK because even crazier things are true.

North Korea is like living on the moon.

None of this is true.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Everything I said is true, actually.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Groovelord Neato posted:

I imagine the pressurized domes require quite a lot of work to maintain.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

No, it isn't. Like, most of it was disproved by the actual research Jack Gladney just posted, the rest of it is the usual kim-jong il golf score nonsense.

For Christ's sake I'd imagine radios that can only pick up a single frequency would be more than a little daft in a country with dozens of different stations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

HorseLord posted:

I'd imagine radios that can only pick up a single frequency

This..what..

"set to" doesn't mean "can only pick up".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

This..what..

"set to" doesn't mean "can only pick up".

Then why did you use that phrasing, if not to mean that? You even said changing it would get them sent to a camp.

Did you mean that in the rest of the world, radios play multiple stations simultaneously? None of mine do that; I imagine hearing everything on the FM band in one go would be a bit unintelligible.

HorseLord fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 3, 2015

• Locked thread