Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
MAN, I feel like it's practically required to bring up Geek Chic in a thread about gaming "stuff". The furniture they sell there isn't actually that badly priced for a custom piece of work that is built to last (particularly the cheaper models) - they also serve as a great starting point for brainstorming low cost solutions to enhance gaming night without dropping five grand on a table.

Aside from that, there has been a glut of fantasy coinage such as Campaign Coins. You see them offered primarily as Kickstarter high-tier backer awards or in sets, but I've always entertained having a chest full of them at the table to award people with something tactile if you're playing that kind of game where money is a big thing.

On the maps front I recommend the Google+ groups for fantasy mapping and more besides. I get updates from them practically every day. Check out Library of Gaming Maps, Cartographer's Guild, and Map-Making in Games for a lot of work from all skill levels showing what's possible.

Dyson Logos and Maxime Plasse, who both have what I consider to be extremely high quality work. Of course, I'd be remiss if I failed to mention Jonathan Roberts, who has done some real solid work in a little book called the World of Ice & Fire: The Untold History of Westeros (Amazon link). Of special note is whoever maintains this blog Tierras Yegimales, who is working on a Spanish-language original campaign worldbook with some absolutely fantastic maps.

There's all sorts of other stuff to talk about but I figure the above can help get the ball rolling. Maybe someone can tell me about their sick-nasty custom dice tower that they 3D-printed off of a MakerBot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

zVxTeflon posted:

Jesus you might as well use Sacagawea dollars for how much they charge for this poo poo.

Yeah, well, you could just as easily use cheap plastic pirate coins, get some foreign coins (not that much more expensive), actual collector coins, etc. - the majority of these coin operations use some type of cheaper metal for the feel. You pay the premium mostly for the fact they'll make your fantasy bling go clinky clink.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Does anybody have any sweet setups that they use to get their gaming on? Geek Chic aside, I'd wager that the Cheeto Cave has its place, but there are other setups out there like this Warhammer Fantasy inspired DIY room that a dude made in Japan. Took him 3 years of spare elbow grease, but drat if that doesn't look like a dope place to play any kind of game.

There's also the Ultimate Gaming Table, which is a pretty low cost DIY solution (for the table itself, anyway) that also incorporates some neat features, like a text messaging system that players and the GM can use to pass secret notes and such.

• Locked thread