Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

We all know that most of RPG's take place in our minds, but often a good prop goes a long way to get everyone on the same page - Maps of combat situations, those bloodstained letters your players just found, or even something like the foul looking totem that they have to recover. These things are useful in helping us visualize the setting more. But until now, we never had a thread.

This is going to be a bit bare bones for now, but I'll edit it in - this is a place to talk about maps and the like, share yours, talk about how to make your own good quality ones.

I'm going to start off with a link to the Cartographers guild forums. - They have a good collection of user made maps, and some tutorials. but I hope that people will supply links to other good tutorials or map/token dumps. I'll try and keep this post updated with the best of them.

I myself like to make maps using Photoshop and textured layers. While these are not the most detailed maps, they give me something I can put up when playing (I RP over the internet) to allow people to get their tokens down.

This is a recent example, barebones, but good enough for something that I'll only use for a few hours. The main problem I have is finding good sci-fi maps- as most people seem to be playing fantasy worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

ianvincible posted:

Would you mind expanding on this a little? The last geography I had was back in 9th grade, which was a while ago. In particular, what about that 7th sea map makes it look unnatural? The number of thin peninsulas jutting out to the south is weird to me, I guess. Is there like a plate-tectonics reason that can't happen? Something about the distribution of mountains is also screwy?

Mainly its the mountains - most landmasses run sea level -> mountain in hights, the mountain ranges running up/down on the map are odd, they should be clustered in the centre.

• Locked thread