Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

ianvincible posted:

Would you mind expanding on this a little? The last geography I had was back in 9th grade, which was a while ago. In particular, what about that 7th sea map makes it look unnatural? The number of thin peninsulas jutting out to the south is weird to me, I guess. Is there like a plate-tectonics reason that can't happen? Something about the distribution of mountains is also screwy?

Here's my problem with Theah's map: Deserts happen when water can't get to a place. There are deserts in Chile because all the warm, wet air that makes the Amazon the Amazon can't get over the Andes. There are mountains between the Mojave and the Pacific, thus barely any water ever gets there. This is a vast oversimplification and there's a bunch of other elements involved in desertification, but you get what I'm talking about.

Now, let's say that those brownish bits in Cathay and the Empire of the Crescent Moon are deserts. That's a bit of an assumption, but all I have to work with are watercolors so I'll take what I can get. Now, that patch of Ussuran land between the mountains and the sea between Cathay and the Empire must be the wettest place in the world, because if any wet air from that sea went anywhere but there or back into the ocean, there wouldn't be deserts there. Cathay is on a penisula. If the winds around Cathay went in any direction but a pure north-south, it wouldn't be a desert. These are the most improbably deserts in the world.

Then again, they might not be deserts, in which case it's still the mapmaker's fault for making the map so indistinct that I need to rely on vague watercolors to tell what the terrain's like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread