Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
From my experience, pretty much everything works like this.

Mum thinks you're 'good with computers' and you've written a script here and there? Ok, enroll yourself in a comp sci and get working toward a graduate position with someone big in the game. That's your in. If you think you're too smart for uni or gently caress up and play WoW instead of do your exams, ok, now you're just another random writing code and trying to sell it online. Perhaps you're actually amazing and can make money out of it without the formal background, but the reality is you (and most people) aren't.

Small business people do this all the time, I like diving and have my instructor ticket.. ok.. I know someone who I can buy gear from wholesale.. ok then, I'll open a dive shop and live the dream! Um ok, but you need to understand that you're not doing anything unique and if you ever really do make a dent in the market a bigger player is just going to move into your suburb and suck up your customers by using their buying and financial power to offer prices and services you never can.

Skunkrocker posted:

if it is all just way too much for one guy with a dream to handle, what would be a good way of getting hired on at a place that already designs shirts or getting into a print shop?

The same way to become a coder or fireman or doctor or anything really. Demonstrate you can get the work done to the required standard and you've covered the prerequisite knowledge of your craft. That is what study is. It means a company takes less of a chance on you, you've got a track record of not being a shitlord. That's why a grad with less 'real world experience' may be hired over you - moving forward the grad's demonstrated ability to adapt and perform under stress may be more valuable to a firm than whatever specific thing you can do right now.

I'd suggest it's like any hobby idea to make money, like any freelancer. You like to write and are pretty good at it? Ok, cool, send your poo poo to people regularly and keep writing.. but don't give up your day job. Keep up your passion by all means, use modern communications technology to get it out there and give yourself the best chance of it taking off and perhaps being a full-time pursuit for you one day.. but also be adult enough to maintain a standard of living.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread