Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
When the kids there wanted to use a computer, they got their moms to hold a rummage sale and raise $3,000 to buy time on a DEC PDP-10, the same machine used by computer science researchers at Stanford and MIT.

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
The hosed up part isnt that he was rich. The hosed up part is that our idiot parents were so stupid that they viewed Bill Gates' family as "an equal, maybe a year or so farther ahead the millionaire track than us, but we'll catch up so it's no big deal"

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Guys, you can start a software company pretty easy.

Step 1 - Write some lovely software that barely works. Step 2 - Hire communications major college athletes that know nothing about the product to sell it.

From what I've seen, this business model is bulletproof.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

bill gates had a trust fund worth millions when he dropped out of harvard because his dad was one of the richest lawyers in the state because his grandfather owned some banks

also what's messed up about this is didn't bill say he'd never give his children his wealth because his parents never did? like they'd actually have to work hard to get somewhere?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

i think that was jimmy buffett

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

also what's messed up about this is didn't bill say he'd never give his children his wealth because his parents never did? like they'd actually have to work hard to get somewhere?

iirc but oh i'm sure they're going to inherit some stock and property and they definitely have trusts

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

quote:

However, it was reported in 2011 that Bill’s children are set to inherit a measly $10 million each. When asked about it, Bill explained his decision at the TED conference in Vancouver, Canada on March 18.

“They won’t have anything like that. They need to have a sense that their own work is meaningful and important,” Bill said. “You’ve got to make sure they have a sense of their own ability and what they’re going to go and do.”

yeah i don't feel bad for them

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that's just a "stay on your toes, boy, don't go off dressing up in a skirt and sucking dicks because you're bored" warning. none of those children will ever want or struggle

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
also I would literally murder a person for $10 million so it still shows how out of touch the .0001% is

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
jesus jonny you can't just give the prosecution an exhibit like that

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

The hosed up part isnt that he was rich. The hosed up part is that our idiot parents were so stupid that they viewed Bill Gates' family as "an equal, maybe a year or so farther ahead the millionaire track than us, but we'll catch up so it's no big deal"

back then you didn't even hear that often about how he dropped outta harvard

much less that he dropped out and was able to invest a shitload of money and had millions as a cushion to fall back on

no no no he started his business in his garage after harvard

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

back then you didn't even hear that often about how he dropped outta harvard

much less that he dropped out and was able to invest a shitload of money and had millions as a cushion to fall back on

no no no he started his business in his garage after harvard

i'd do a show on 60 minutes or a TED talk to tell the world this, if i had social skills

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

that hack malcolm gladwell already did it with Outliers

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

also I would literally murder a person for $10 million so it still shows how out of touch the .0001% is

depends on if you're likely to serve time or not

if it's like the government paying me to strangle a hooded guy in a basement someplace i'd probably do it for like $100k or so cash

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

depends on if you're likely to serve time or not

if it's like the government paying me to strangle a hooded guy in a basement someplace i'd probably do it for like $100k or so cash

they'll say they'll give you the cash and they might even give it to you in advance but after you've done your part you're next in line for the old hooded basement strangling hth

sports
Sep 1, 2012
every tech giant except for, like, Ellison were well-to-do and honestly could have lived off their parents forever.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Fax Sender posted:

they'll say they'll give you the cash and they might even give it to you in advance but after you've done your part you're next in line for the old hooded basement strangling hth

i would use my nintendo pre-turbo controller buttonpressing skills to hit that thing so many times

just depopulate everywhere around here so that no one else could push that button

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
Son, you were supposed to have billions of dollars by now. You were good at multiplication in elementary, why aren't you filthy rich? I want that moolah. I need that cha-ching. Stupid son. human being son.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Peanut and the Gang posted:

Son, you were supposed to have billions of dollars by now. You were good at multiplication in elementary, why aren't you filthy rich? I want that moolah. I need that cha-ching. Stupid son. human being son.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

literally my mom

pram
Jun 10, 2001
your parents are retarded op

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

because I know how to set up a pretty much plug and play pico network my family think I am a computer wiz wasted in my current vocation :chord:

lol

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Son, you were supposed to have millions of dollars by now. You were good at skating when you were three because i made you practice all day and paid for hockey camps and yelled at grownups, why aren't I filthy rich? I want that moolah. I need that cha-ching. Stupid son. human being son.

now it's canadian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

• Locked thread