Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
Is there a good way to make a complete "sphere" or a guide for one?

I've been trying to remake the Mars-94 ship from For All Mankind and thats the part I'm having trouble with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Horsebanger posted:

Is there a good way to make a complete "sphere" or a guide for one?

I've been trying to remake the Mars-94 ship from For All Mankind and thats the part I'm having trouble with

Have you tried a fairing? That's how I'd do it.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Either they didn't play enough ksp or they played too much ksp.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Nalesh posted:

Either they didn't play enough ksp or they played too much ksp.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
What am I looking at?

Edit: Here we go, I'll let scott explain it to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muK6gFtv7_o

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 25, 2024

marumaru
May 20, 2013

ha

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Not KSP because no one extended/retracted the landing gear to try a tip over.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Not KSP because no one extended/retracted the landing gear to try a tip over.

No you see they forgot the landing legs

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

touché

E for content: I tried making a missile that would land on the 8-n landing gears that would pop out of the nose. It was…bouncy.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 26, 2024

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The landing legs overheated while taking off and disintegrated.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Been playing a lot of KSP2 lately, have landed on the Mun and just put an orbiting satellite around Minmus. This is neat :)

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I've started watching For All Mankind and it's making it really hard not to bite the bullet on KSP2 :ohdear:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Captain Splendid posted:

I've started watching For All Mankind and it's making it really hard not to bite the bullet on KSP2 :ohdear:

you can literally buy it on steam, try it out, refund it, and then play it again to make sure you really didn't like it, because it's drm-free.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Or you could pirate it

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Let's swerve aside from chat about how to pirate the game.

marumaru, don't complain over and over about the devs being lazy and dumb and then advise people how to steal their work. Just play something else.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

Captain Splendid posted:

Play KSP 1 and install Tantares Mod for soyuz/N1 and enjoy

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

If KSP2 is going to encourage outer planet and moon landings (And basically require it in science mode) it really, really, really desperately needs an in game launch window tool and tutorial of some kind. I just spent like 7 years in game between running out of fuel in Duna orbit and recovering Jeb by doing the rescue mission and back.

I have a lot of time in the original, I have no idea how someone new to the game will be handling this.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

why no sequel

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

If this is a Highlander 2 joke it's not nearly that dire.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
They just announced KSP 3, they hope to have rockets by 2029

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

Kraken by 2028

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Any of you got a good stable ckan modlist with USI, etc? I don't want stuff like RSS, just normal sized ksp centered around building bases in orbit and dealing with something like remotetech or whatever is updated.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Been playing ksp2 with a modlist of Where’s my crew capsule, commnet reborn, and the combo of k2d2/maneuver node manager/flight planner/micro engineer that replaces mechjeb, and I’ve been having a lot of fun so far. The ksp2 exploration mission system is perfect for me, and WMCC deepening the tech tree and making at least a fig leaf of using probes hits just right. People with a couple hundred/thousand hours in 1 probably won’t get much out of it

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/topic/223815-one-year-of-ksp2/

happy KSP2versary

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

decided to do something new and start a career using unkerballed start while still sticking to 30% science returns. it's going great!

https://clips.twitch.tv/SmellyBoxyRamenNotATK-OB3uKkSg_0zZuepO

this was like, over half an hour into trying to figure out a way to get enough science to unlock the very first node.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
if you haven't watched the Starshit launch, everyone ITT needs to at least watch the Scott Manley video for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8htMpR7mnaM&t=907s

watching a huge rocket re-enter in a tumbling rear end-first ball of fire was the most Kerbal thing and gave me very strong deja vu from some of my own rockets

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

decided to do something new and start a career using unkerballed start while still sticking to 30% science returns. it's going great!

https://clips.twitch.tv/SmellyBoxyRamenNotATK-OB3uKkSg_0zZuepO

this was like, over half an hour into trying to figure out a way to get enough science to unlock the very first node.

tip: you need to make it longer and position the fins lower, to put enough drag behind CoM to balance the drag from the nose.

offset the 2 outer boosters lower, and the fins to the bottom of their boosters. then stage the 3 boosters such that the 2 outer ones run first and then the inner one. That will move the CoM forward earlier in the flight, making it marginally more stable.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Klyith posted:

if you haven't watched the Starshit launch, everyone ITT needs to at least watch the Scott Manley video for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8htMpR7mnaM&t=907s

watching a huge rocket re-enter in a tumbling rear end-first ball of fire was the most Kerbal thing and gave me very strong deja vu from some of my own rockets

tip: you need to make it longer and position the fins lower, to put enough drag behind CoM to balance the drag from the nose.

offset the 2 outer boosters lower, and the fins to the bottom of their boosters. then stage the 3 boosters such that the 2 outer ones run first and then the inner one. That will move the CoM forward earlier in the flight, making it marginally more stable.

trust me, i know all if this and tried it. the problem i was having is that without sas, or indeed any sort of control at all, absolutely nothing i did was preventing the rocket from very slowly tipping to one side (specifically to the west, every single time, no matter what i did to the design, to the point where it felt like a bug) and therefore failing to reach the upper atmosphere, which i needed to do to get enough science to unlock literally anything. it's why i was trying spin stabilization, something i never typically do. i eventually sorted things by remembering i had accepted a contract to test the tt-38 decoupler and used that to attach the outer srbs and put fins on the middle srb, which put me straight into space.

to be honest though, without that contract or something similar, 30% science with unkerballed is close to a softlock at the start. you have so few options that you can't even control your rocket to go to a different biome or even cheese things with ksc mini-biome science. it definitely was not a mod intended to be played the way i tend to play ksp. but i got past that roadblock and can almost reach orbit now, yay.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 15, 2024

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Was a little tricky, ended up being easier to have a single stage but with different thrust settings -- outer 85%, inner 50%. Fights hard against max q most of the way up, lots of drag loss. But easily makes it to "flying high" zone.

Slowly tipping to the side is just gravity. Spin stabilization helps but can only slow it down, not stop it all together. If you have a good design you can make this a gravity turn so your rocket goes to orbit with minimal controls.

Quickly flipping out is drag being too high, such that the force above the CoM is much greater than behind the CoM. That's a sign that you need to reshape the craft to balance drag, or reduce thrust so the drag load isn't so high. (I needed to do both to make that 3-mite rocket work.) Too much thrust is a common KSP mistake.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

to be honest though, without that contract or something similar, 30% science with unkerballed is close to a softlock at the start.

Yeah my experience with rescale + stock parts is similar but less drastic. You need enough science to get somewhere before you can get science. Easy solution is give yourself some starting science points, enough to unlock a couple early nodes.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://old.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/1bfj730/new_ksp2_sneakpeek_orbital_test_colony_over_jool/

marumaru
May 20, 2013

marumaru
May 20, 2013

a bit disappointing that the "orbital colonies"... are just normal space stations with spinny bits. they dont even look particularly large, and are certainly not up there in part count, which suggests they haven't really figured out a way to optimize those

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

I'm excited for moving parts! Less so for the bugs they'll inevitably come with.

BTW what should an orbital colony look like but a big station? I guess O'Neil cylinders would be cool but I was never expecting that personally.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

El Jeffe posted:

BTW what should an orbital colony look like but a big station? I guess O'Neil cylinders would be cool but I was never expecting that personally.

no i just mean that it doesn't look particularly big

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah they need to be more like this guys stuff

https://www.reddit.com/user/skyaboveend/submitted/

dude makes crazy huge stock stuff

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
those KSP2 colonies are a parts-based system just like the rest of the game, just different parts selection

so if you wanted to make a huge 5km-wide million-part station I'm guessing you can

not in 2025 when the colonies are added to the game of course. in 2030, when your PC has the power to run it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I mean it looks fine to me. What I’m wondering about is how much of the ring is individual parts vs one big massive part.