Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Toast Museum posted:

Does part placement have vertical snapping yet?

You can turn on angle-snapping and offset in increments which kind of works like it. However it also seems to shift the object you're moving sometimes. Still, I'm missing some of EditorExtensions' functionality, I think they need a rewrite though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

ToxicFrog posted:

That's the thing, I generally expect the main performance bottleneck to be the physics, not the graphics, especially on a machine that runs much better looking games at max settings at 60fps. If it's slowing down, I assume I've tacked on too many parts.

I don't expect looking at Kerbin, even at the lowest graphics settings, to completely tank both graphics and physics performance, and indeed, in previous versions it hasn't. This is something new in 0.90. Hence my surprise.

Actually this is an issue thats occasionally popped up for a long time. It seems somewhat random where and whom it strikes sometimes, but I've found its back for me in 0.90.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Collateral Damage posted:

TweakScale works fine for me. :vov:

I noticed a bug with CKAN. It considers NEAR 1.3a to be newer than 1.3.1. 1.3a has a bug that breaks airplanes though.

Tweakscale also has an official 0.90 version out.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Mister Bates posted:

I have to self-impose limits on using Tweakscale because it makes certain part testing contracts unbelievably easy. I had a contract to test a gigantic KW Rocketry booster clocking in at 30-odd tons of mass on an escape trajectory out of Kerbin, which would have paid something like 900,000 kesos to complete - theoretically, I could empty it of all fuel, tweak it down to some ridiculously tiny size, and do it easily, but with such a ludicrous payout, it really doesn't seem fair.

90% of my tweak scale use would go away if the KW parts let you swap textures for a given tank size. (Sometimes it has to be VERY big and ORANGE.) Also, the current version induces a bug that will make all your ships bug out and tear themselves apart after a while so watch out.

And big girders. Structural girders and trusses.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

The level-up system for Kerbals being linked to planets is kind of silly. You can't get past level 3 or so without leaving the Kerbin SOI, which is annoying for pilots. While the first time you visit a new body should certainly give the most XP, you should be able to level guys up with repeated launches so that you can use their later-level skills. I think that the pilot skills are a really good Smart rear end replacement for manned craft. I don't feel the need to have Mechjeb (as opposed to KER) installed since this is in the game, but it's a pain to level Jeb up enough to use all the functions.

Does the game keep track of other stats like dockings, first landing, etc? Things like that might give a background of XP that, while not as huge a jump as visiting and orbiting say, Duna for the first time, would still encourage using experienced crew for a variety of things.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Jet Jaguar posted:

Really hoping for a SimCity-esque advisor who would pop up when you looked at your KSC budget.

YOU CAN'T CUT FUNDING FOR SOLID ROCKET BOOSTERS! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!!!

This sounds disturbingly like I imagine NASA's Constellation Program sounded before it was approved.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Mister Bates posted:

Try running in OpenGL, and with ActiveTextureManagement (or DDSLoader if you can figure out how to get it working). OpenGL alone saves me a shitload of memory, it's the only way I'm able to run my current mod setup without crashes.

I've found that OpenGL mode seems to totally disable the game's antialiasing in 0.90. Is that just me or does it work for you? (I used to use OpenGL but the jaggies in 0.90 got to me and, somehow, I ended up running the 64-bit version in DirectX11 mode to get it to run properly)

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Trivia posted:

Maybe you could also attach to that tech node a Civlopedia-esque explanation of dV for newbies. Short trivia blurbs that could be expanded to give more in depth examples.

The main thing is avoiding inundating new players with too much information. You need to piecemeal it out. This is why limiting advancement behind building unlocks is deceptively brilliant; it allows players to really get a feel for the parts slowly, while requiring a demonstration of mastery in order to advance.

Theres already the "Kerbal Knowledge Base" referred to in the info descriptions of the planets and ships. Expanding this would be neat so you could see more detail about the ∆V if you wanted, you can examine the planets in detail based on what you've learned (kind of like a more fun version of the existing science archives). The info window in the VAB/SPH is now a perfect place to show numbers like that. Its not required by any means, but would be nice to have around, especially now that people are paying attention to the weight of their vehicles for pad-upgrade-reasons. Now that the game encourages a manner of efficiency, having the info available is only helpful.

It'd be really great if it could be merged with the Science Archives in some way (more for the R&D Building to do), that you could look up terms like that in one easy in-game place. Heck, it'd be neat to show a (maybe with a shader) 3D spinnable depiction of the planet in question showing what data you've recovered. This'd be a great place to implement the biome display too without confusing anyone on the main map. Showing planetary info (like in the info tab) here would also be useful. If you could access it mid-flight, that could be a nice "Civopedia" kind of thing, letting you get info on a destination without forcing you to alt-tab out to look at a wiki. Maybe clicking the info tab in the map screen lets you "get more info" and pop over to that view quickly.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
Not gonna lie, I had really hoped clouds would make the 1.0 release, if only because they look so great, add so much, and EVE is a total pain to make work. Are there any plans to finish the IVAs for 1.0?

Okan170 fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 25, 2015

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
No more x64 builds

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/content/328-The-future-of-Windows-64-bit-builds-for-KSP

I kind of understand why this is. I just wish there was a way to have things like clouds install effortlessly and not have to play the KSP Memory Micromanagement Metagame.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Cubey posted:

New IVAs for 1.0

http://imgur.com/a/Z5liB#3

gently caress yessssssss

Hell yeah! IVAs make things seem so much more immersive!

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
No joke, thats basically a design being testing now at NASA for an extremely low-gravity "rover".

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Grand Fromage posted:

I thought it broke off during the separation. :colbert:

Its actually fairly badass; both panels were loosened by the micrometeroid shield getting ripped away. Because of how they ended up hanging, the lost panel was directly blasted by the S-II separation motors during spacecraft separation and lost :jeb:

The shield falling away earlier had also knocked a fairly sizable hole in the interstage between the first and second stages, causing the pyros to not completely fire during the interstage separation, which left it stuck to the S-II. Upon hearing about this, engineers assumed it must have been jettisoned properly since with the interstage attached, the engines would overheat and fail. Nonetheless, the mass to orbit indicated that the S-II brought the interstage all the way to orbit… the engineering margins were better than they had thought. Possibly the most Kerbal of the Saturn V launches, competing with Apollo 6 which had an SLA panel fall off and ended up trying to correct its wonky engine failures by thrusting almost directly radial to the surface of the Earth at shutdown.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Luneshot posted:

I'm hoping they finally fix the horrendous performance whenever the water is in view. There's a jury-rigged solution of basically turning the detail down in the .cfg file and that works, but I'd like to see something more permanent if possible.

I feel like I've been doing this one for 3 years now, on two different computers.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

That is about 22.35m/s.

Edit: meaning that is what the Ruggedized are rated for. Breakdown is listed at like 134mph.

I suddenly remember a while ago (a few threads ago?) someone had inquired to Max about the unique rover wheels which show up on the Munrovers in the KSP animations. Did anything ever come of that?

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Splode posted:

Yeah, every update the number of mods I consider essential drops. Cool stuff!

So long as it means less mods to compete with the cloud mod. Has that thing been updated even for 0.9 yet?

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Spookydonut posted:

Ten people all in the same VAB and stealing parts from each others ships and madly mashing the launch button before they themselves get stolen from. Then the launchpad just has ships dumped on it willy-nilly and it's another mad dash to launch before the launchpad explodes from too much weight or your ship gets hit by a toppling, poorly designed competitor (because someone stole half the ship before they could hit launch).

Your framerate decreases steadily as the explosions begin to register...

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Fintilgin posted:

What (if any) are the mod cloud options for 1.0? I tried grabbing what I thought was a working version of Visual Enhancements, but I don't see any clouds in game.

I've been using one copy of a EVE install I had back in .24, and have had few issues with it. I'll let you know whats inside when I get home.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Zurui posted:

Yeah, this new aero has taken rocket launching from "harder" to "holy poo poo this blows."

Yeah, all my rockets that I had worked out yesterday just are completely broken, no matter how many unrealistic fins I add to them. Probably more of an issue since I like to play the game mostly in orbit and beyond.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

frank.club posted:

Does the new aeronautics system prevent from external seat rocket riding

I don't think it prevents it… it just might prevent doing it successfully.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Jack the Lad posted:

Ah, okay.

Now if I can just make a rocket that doesn't flip before it gets to 10km... :negative:

The 1.0.2 update also changed aerodynamics to be significantly soupier, making rockets much harder to control.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
The nuclear engines are already tremendously nerfed vs. their real life incarnations to boot.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

two_beer_bishes posted:

Is there any reason not to try the 64bit work around that was posted earlier? I can't say that I'm having any issues yet but I'm intentionally using minimal mods because I don't want to run into any problems.

I'm running a moderate number of mods, just past the limit (KW Rocketry!) and the 64-bit hack, no major issues. Once in a while, using high time warp for long periods of time will lead to a freeze and then a crash, but I've not lost anything except the time warped period on reload. The only mods that don't work are things like RealChute where 64-bit is intentionally disabled by the author.

It is unusual to get to the point where you manually decide to close the game instead of just taking the latest crash as a sign to do something else.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
Interesting choice of porting house.

http://www.ftmobile.com/Products.aspx

I guess I'll wish them good luck with it.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Met posted:

Jeez. Did NovaSilisko part ways with the KSP team because he's a tremendous rear end in a top hat?

I know he feels extremely burned by his expierence, and feels the need to go full-bore hate at every opportunity. Still brings up some interesting points once in a while, though the way he presents them is just awful.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

maltesh posted:

There's already a dust effect. It's been in stock since at least 1.0. I've seen the Mun dust flying away from the point underneath my engine on many launches from the Munar surface.

And no, it doesn't cloud. It radially hurtles away.

It really shouldn't cloud up, being in vacuum anyway. Actually, if you wanted to add further eye-candy to dusty landings, some variation of the reentry shader might be realistic in 3D.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Flagrant Abuse posted:

I do if I want mods like FAR that disable themselves on Windows x64 to work. :v:

This works for me:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/113069-WIN-1-0-X-KSP-x64-Total-Unfixer-v1-0-1-24-06-2015

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Hadlock posted:

Paul Allen's Spruce Goose :allears:

He's a billionare-founding member of Microsoft who owns at least one historic airplane museum so it's likely that this project will be completed in his (our) lifetime. :dance:

Edit: he also funded 100% of the development of Space Ship One which is basically a 1/10 scale of the Stratolaunch monstrosity.

For a brief while, SpaceX was to provide the booster too! Apparently the business case is hard to close, because they pulled out to spend more time on Falcon 9. Unfortunately, Orbital-ATK have discontinued work on their Pegasus 2 booster, so basically the super-plane still needs a rocket to launch.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
Been playing around with this set of stock-alike planetary base parts. Pretty sweet with little IVAs and lots of ways to launch and land them!

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/127413-WIP-1-0-4-Kerbal-Planetary-Base-Systems-v0-1-4-Update-23-7-2015

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

goose fleet posted:

I meant more in game mechanics terms, like why I'd want to use one.

Theres a whole mod for just LH2 engines, kind of like "RealFuel lite" where the switch kind of acts like your default engines are Kerolox.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/117766-1-04-Cryogenic-Engines-high-Isp-chemical-rockets!-

The primary draw of them is that they get an awful lot of isp. The tradeoff is fuel density with this mod, and as such they'd be best as upper stage engines or in-space engines. Or you could just go full-Delta IV and make the whole thing one big fat expensive (efficient!) deal.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

goose fleet posted:

I want Atomic Age but it makes you download that community tech tree in CKAN.

Do I want Near Future Electrical?

I'd say yes. You don't really know how much you needed a giant nuclear-powered MPD tug with ∆V in the 5 digits until you have one. Plus heat is stock now and it works with that system.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Hremsfeld posted:

Yeah. Spacecraft work by controlled explosions. It just so happens that the explosions and their associated heat is blasted away from the craft, instead of making the fuel tank / decoupler / surface-attached thermometer explode. That's what's meant by "engines that don't produce heat." Not that they don't have hot exhaust - that'd be ridiculous - but that they don't produce heat on the rest of the vessel.

There should be a NFPReducedElectricEngineThrust.cfg Module Manager file lurking somewhere in the NFP folder, probably under Extras. Just delete that.
Also, to be clear about the electricity problem: Are you getting EC/s costs like this?

If so, that was a glitch I had while I was running KSP two minor versions behind the NFP release (I don't remember if I was running 1.0.0 when 1.0.2 was out, or 1.0.2 when 1.0.4 was out). Interestingly, the Pulsed Inductive Thrusters worked normally.

IIRC, one of the recent NFE changes (just before I picked it up) was to remove the patch from the default install.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
I'm totally down for the stock RS-25 equivalent in the album there...

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

goose fleet posted:

Can I back up my GameData folder before installing the Astronomer's Pack, just in case it keeps freezing up on me? I don't want to keep having to reinstall everything from scratch.

Yup. I tend to do this a lot at the late-stage with some heavy mods because of how hard it is to get a stable load out.

VVV edit: yes, only in GameData

Okan170 fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 23, 2015

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
So now that 1.0.x is winding down, this is my favorite creation of my play through . Sweet medium-sized lander that goes everywhere and comes back, I like to dock it at an orbiting space station for refueling.

Good for bases and Minmus too! (Way overpowered for Minmus)

On a whim, I hyperedited a modified one into Duna orbit to see how it handled a full propulsive descent without parachutes. Worked like a charm, though the margin is kind of tight and it can benefit from refueling on the surface if available.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Brownie posted:

Are you running any graphics mods or is that just lots of AA/downsampling + cool mod parts?

Just cool mod parts and standard 8x AA. Running x64 and probably way too many mods. I also need to replace my old FTMN Atomic Rockets nuclear engines, I'm not too enamoured with the Porkjet engines... does anyone know of a good NTR set?

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Luneshot posted:

I bet you I can tell you exactly what your problem is, and it's a very old one: Kerbin's oceans (and Eve and Laythe sometimes) can cause a tremendous amount of lag when you look at them.

Here's a workaround from 2013 that should make the game playable again:
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/43253-Default-Terrain-Quality-Without-most-of-The-Lag!

It does lower the polys in the ocean so your ship might appear to "float" above the water surface when splashed down, but that's a fair trade for a playable game. I've been using this little fix for a couple years now.

They keep saying its been improved, but that workaround has been a constant companion for too long. Even on a brand new machine.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Otacon posted:

It's dead, Jim. What features about it did you like the most? There's a few mods like QuickSearch or QuickScroll or FilterExtensions as well as the stock Category system (which you'd need to completely setup yourself and is a pain) that can kinda provide a similar experience, but Parts Catalog is dead as Dillinger - the author hasn't made a single post in almost a year.

I never really found one that let me go back to the PartCatalog days of hitting the keyboard numbers to switch to a different set of parts. The current stock one takes hours to set up and I've never really used it as a result, just had to get used to the big unorganized scroll you get when you have a number of mods installed. (please someone make this again)

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

goose fleet posted:

Duna Space Program is the one I've long awaited and it's just as amazing as I thought it would be. Launching is incredibly easy: there's little atmosphere and much lower gravity, so you can make some truly ludicrous designs. Good luck landing with anything less than powered descent, though!

Also, Eve Space Program sounds hard as gently caress. "Fun" idea: launch a Cercani mission from there. :v:

Actually, I suppose "Eve Space Program" would only be a slightly-harder version of the Kerbin start. Starting from a launchpad, Eve would be very similar to Kerbin in terms of difficulty. I guess Kerbin takes Eve's place as the "Hardest to land on and return home from" winner then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
Looks like ULA is making an official parts pack for KSP!