Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth
Dogs: I love dogs. I like the snuggling, running, greeting. But I can't keep one in my current living situation. Please recommend me a dog replacement.

A miniature Ghost Dog in haunt form.

Cats: I'm not fond of cats. They shed. They are disloyal. They are only selectively snuggly. They tear up furniture.
Fish: You can't snuggle with a fish. Your fish isn't going to welcome you home.
Lizards: You can.. maybe snuggle with a lizard? I don't know anything about lizards.
Birb: I might keep a birb. I don't know how to handle the poo, though.
Skunk: I think a skunk would be the ideal pet: all the loyalty of dogs, all the cleverness of cats. Can't keep one.

Guidelines: Nothing exotic (over $100 or imported). Nothing high maintainence (over $100/mo keeping). Nothing that will tear up my apartment while I'm gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth
This is good information, thanks

I read through the the OP of the birb crazy thread--pleasantly surprised to find you can harness birds! Does anyone get their birds to fly along while they jog?

The three hour a day minimum might be hard for me. I sometimes go weeks doing all outdoors stuff, not inside. And the noise thing. I am not going to rush into this; I don't know if I could handle random screams. I would love to find someone with birds and chill with theirs for a while, get a feel for it.

There's no bird rescues in my state but there's quite a few in bordering states. There's a single dove up for adoption in my town.

Also, how do birds handle artificial lighting? I know chickens get confused and upset if they don't get a properly dimmed sunset to climb up on their roosts. Do birds do alright with odd sleep schedules, activity at inconsistent times of day, etc, or does it vary on the breed and bird?
--
This whole thing stems from catching a wild bird in the library yesterday and being pleasantly surprised by it letting me pick it up without it panicking. (I took it outside, don't worry!)
--
I'm not sure if there's such a thing as a cuddly spider. I definitely don't want to get bit and lose flesh, they're the cuddliest looking thing in the Reptile thread.
--
NINJA EDIT: *Rats* you say? Hmmmm.. a small furry mammal. Could do. I'll read up on it.

EDIT:
Rats are amazingly resilient and easy to care for, apparently. I'm not sure if they'd creep me out. Can be poo trained, might snuggle some. Kinda creepy lookin, but possible.
Guinea pigs are apparently very vet-intensive. And poop everywhere. Not possible.
Gerbils are social and "very clean rodents". That's cool. They also make burrows and would probably be very enjoyable to watch in a ant-farm-like cage. I'd probably be okay with their nocturnalness.

EDIT2: It's entirely possible I'm temporarily obsessed with this idea and am not fully prepared to take on a pet. I'll come back to this in a week or so.

froward fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 16, 2014

• Locked thread