Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My parents have 2 cats, both strays. The first cat is like 15 years old now, and has lived here since he was about 2. The second cat is about 5 years old. Their house has a cat-flap so the cats can come and go as they want.

About 3 years ago, when they only had cat number 1, they noticed another cat was coming in to eat cat number 1's food as my parents caught glimpses of it during the night if they got up for a glass of water or whatever (first cat is black, 2nd cat is black and white, so quite different looking). Also, cat number 1 suddenly seemed to be eating food twice as fast, but not getting any fatter, so they knew something was up and that sorta confirmed what they thought they were seeing.

Some time later, my parents accidentally shut new cat 2 in the back living room, and didn't realize til they went back in in there in the morning, saw this black and white cat, and this cat just flopped on its back and started purring and was friendly as hell. It had no collar or anything, so they took it to the vet to check for a microchip and it had none....long story short, they ended up adopting him.

I think the cats took about a month of casual encounters (they would go out in the night at different times and so only occasionally meet in the house) to actually get along with each other. There were a few hissing matches, but no actual fights. The older cat is "the top cat" and the younger one is perfectly happy with that. They are both boys, both (now) neutered, and they get on perfectly: they eat together, sleep together etc, but if there is a special treat or something, cat number 1 gets first pickings automatically and cat number 2 just hangs back til its safe to have some.

TL;DR, a 12 year old cat that had lived with no other animals for near 10 years gets on fine with a 2 year old cat. They have been together for 3 years now.

EDIT: Both cats are strays like I said, so cat equivalent of mongrels. No idea what breeds they are made up of, but one is black and old, and one is black and white and young. They are happy cattes.

spud fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I feel that for once, I tried to seriously reply to a thread that I felt needed it, but it was all about the colours of cats....

I am ashamed of myself. Totally ashamed.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I've just killed the black cat as it was old anyway, and it was his fault.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

dogcrash truther posted:

You did a good job but to be honest that avatar is out of confuckintrol and i can't even concentrate on any of your words

It's a potato enjoying the rear end of a lady. I've had it since 2003 when I signed up, and I still have it now.

Maybe you need to surf more.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

dogcrash truther posted:

let me tell you about cats
       /

Fair point.

• Locked thread