Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.

Titus Sardonicus posted:

Geez, shucks :blush: I used to write, just before I went back to school. My writing style largely consists of black humor, but also largely nonsensical to most people, so I write only for myself. For example, my self-insert (hear me out now...) is a psychotic hobo with a gambling habit and a tendency toward random outbursts of extreme violence -- though he is a hero with a heart of charcoal -- and his chief rival is another vagrant with six fingers on each hand and an unhealthy obsession with finding his '93 Chipper Jones Donruss SilverLeaf rookie card, in order to reunite his family (the rest of his '93 Atlanta Braves baseball cards). I've killed Tim Allen on more than one occasion (and had him sold into slavery for laffs, but mostly for coke), and there's a frontman of a terrible rap-metal-cum-clowncore band on the loose who should either be in prison or facing hundreds of lawsuits.

You just missed NaNoWriMo. Do it next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Antifreeze Head posted:

If you must cut a 2x4 into matchsticks, do not use a table saw.

Tiny cuts will be wildly dangerous if you are a first time table saw user, and even if you aren't, a band saw is likely a better choice because it won't smash apart all those teeny studs.

Hobby stores sell balsa wood, already cut into matchsticks.

Bonus: You get to keep all your fingers.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Liam Emsa posted:

You just missed NaNoWriMo. Do it next year.
every month can be NaNoWriMo

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Have you considered a sport? I honestly don't know if it's different for grad students, but universities generally have some great club sports that don't require prior experience. Barring that, community centers/park districts usually run sports programs for adults, often with something cool like rowing in addition to basketball or soccer. Might be worth looking at what's around you. I also felt that need to find a hobby earlier this year, ended up joining a US-based Australian football team with no prior experience in the game, and that's been fun as hell.

dpush
Nov 10, 2009
Wow seems like some people didn't take building trades in high school. Don't use a table saw if you don't know how to not cut off your fingers by using a push stick to guide the wood along the fence . Stores also sell doll houses so I guess his hobby could be buying poo poo until he kills himself.

Here is an example of what I'm talking about.
http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/02/17/17/586721/5/640x640.jpg
These doll houses were made by children in prison. The only thing I can see that was cut with a band saw are the shingles on the house in the backround.

dpush fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 24, 2014

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

dpush posted:

Wow seems like some people didn't take building trades in high school.

High schools don't teach shop any more. I teach in an industrial design program at a university and at least a third of the incoming students have never used a power tool before in their lives. Some haven't even turned a screwdriver or a wrench.

Telemundoz
Dec 23, 2014

CHEE

JohnSherman posted:

Have you considered a sport? I honestly don't know if it's different for grad students, but universities generally have some great club sports that don't require prior experience. Barring that, community centers/park districts usually run sports programs for adults, often with something cool like rowing in addition to basketball or soccer. Might be worth looking at what's around you. I also felt that need to find a hobby earlier this year, ended up joining a US-based Australian football team with no prior experience in
the game, and that's been fun as hell.

I picked up ice hockey this past year and. Being a southern boy, its def a sport we dont play. That or maybe a co-ed softball team. Im sure there are teams in your area.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Sagebrush posted:

High schools don't teach shop any more. I teach in an industrial design program at a university and at least a third of the incoming students have never used a power tool before in their lives. Some haven't even turned a screwdriver or a wrench.

I didn't know gently caress all about power tools until becoming a theater tech in college. I could have in high school but back then it wasn't really encouraged. It always seemed they would be up their rear end in liability with most of that poo poo and I went from 1998 to 2002.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

Captain Log posted:

I didn't know gently caress all about power tools until becoming a theater tech in college. I could have in high school but back then it wasn't really encouraged. It always seemed they would be up their rear end in liability with most of that poo poo and I went from 1998 to 2002.

Jeeze, get a dad.

Have you tried lifting OP? It's fun.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Captain Log posted:

It always seemed they would be up their rear end in liability with most of that poo poo and I went from 1998 to 2002.

I never really appreciated everything I got to do as a crewmember in high school until I showed up at my college's theatre department and was drowned in release forms and yet still couldn't do half the poo poo I had been doing for years unless I took classes.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
I bought myself a T-90 tank model kit, some tools, and some paint its kinda fun.

McPhock
Dec 25, 2004
hat-wearing champion of rhode island
What about 3D printing? Things on shapeway can be cheap, and you get to draw and model neat things.... as simple or as complicated as you want! Their tutorials, which are free, also recommend some free tools to get started.

I made my wife some weinerdog necklaces for Christmas for about $4 each.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

dpush posted:

Wow seems like some people didn't take building trades in high school. Don't use a table saw if you don't know how to not cut off your fingers by using a push stick to guide the wood along the fence . Stores also sell doll houses so I guess his hobby could be buying poo poo until he kills himself.

Here is an example of what I'm talking about.
http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/02/17/17/586721/5/640x640.jpg
These doll houses were made by children in prison. The only thing I can see that was cut with a band saw are the shingles on the house in the backround.

This is pretty much a straight up parallel to saying "Buy a hammer, everything is a nail", then backing it up with images of somebody having hammered screws into a board. Sure, it works, but there's a better tool for it. Could people put together that doll house with a table saw? Totally. Would they have been way better off in terms of safety, efficiency, and quite probably enjoyment if they'd been using smaller hand-saws for a bunch of it? Yes yes yes yes yes.

Also what is with being so ego-invested in a specific type of tool that the alternative to him using that tool is "go buy pre-made stuff until he kills himself"? C'mon dude. The table saw is a cool tool, but it's not that cool.

surc fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 7, 2015

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Do you live in or near a city? Can your s/o or someone else take care of your kid one night a week?

I really, really recommend dancing. Especially if you are a bit of a loner and have trust and confidence issues. Many people who start social dancing have those issues and find that it can really help with that.

It's learning a new skill, it's creative, it's musical, it gives you a structured way of meeting new people, it's physical activity. It's just incredibly fun and it doesn't really matter what style you choose (lindy hop, balboa, west coast swing, blues, tango... there are so many options). I've grown so much confidence, met interesting people, travelled to new places and found such an interesting creative outlet doing this, I really recommend it, even if it might be a little scary at first.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
I know you said no excercise but have you considered rock climbing, even just indoors? A couple years ago I had anxiety/depression issues and taking up climbing was the best thing I ever did. It's relatively cheap (most indoor gyms rent out equipment for next to nothing), if you just boulder you don't even need a partner, and its as social or not as you want. If you want to boulder in your bubble and keep to yourself no-one will care and if you're feeling sociable you'll be fighting people offering/asking for advice off with a stick. Plus who doesn't want to get buff pretending to be spiderman for a few hours a week?

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

toiletbrush posted:

I know you said no excercise but have you considered rock climbing, even just indoors? A couple years ago I had anxiety/depression issues and taking up climbing was the best thing I ever did. It's relatively cheap (most indoor gyms rent out equipment for next to nothing), if you just boulder you don't even need a partner, and its as social or not as you want. If you want to boulder in your bubble and keep to yourself no-one will care and if you're feeling sociable you'll be fighting people offering/asking for advice off with a stick. Plus who doesn't want to get buff pretending to be spiderman for a few hours a week?
Do you feel like one needs any sort of base from weight training to start climbing? I want to get more core and upper body strength, but my ADD makes weight training excruciatingly boring. Currently I mountain bike, and that keeps both brain and body focused. I feel like rock climbing could do that too. Plus this winter sucks frozen Krampus dick and I need something indoors and active to cure my winter sads.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Interstitial Abs posted:

Do you feel like one needs any sort of base from weight training to start climbing? I want to get more core and upper body strength, but my ADD makes weight training excruciatingly boring. Currently I mountain bike, and that keeps both brain and body focused. I feel like rock climbing could do that too. Plus this winter sucks frozen Krampus dick and I need something indoors and active to cure my winter sads.

No you don't to start climbing. As you get stronger (and you build strength really quickly with rock-climbing), you'll notice a huge difference in what you can climb. How calloused your hands are will limit how long you can climb for, while starting out.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Interstitial Abs posted:

Not at all, my ex climbed harder routes than me and she could barely do a single pull-up. Different routes need different stuff so there's plenty that are about balance, technique, core-strength, guts etc more than brute strength. Plus like The-Mole says you'll build core and upper body strength really quickly, particularly if you concentrate on overhangy stuff.

Has there ever been a climbing ask/tell?

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Hi guys, sorry I haven't responded in a while, though hopefully this means that this is becoming a more universal hobby/pastime suggestion thread and the focus can be moved away from me.

Anyway:
  • Regarding exercise... 1. During the warmer months, I ride my bike on a regular basis. I travel a minimum of twenty miles, can go up to sixty or seventy in a day given my current life situation. 2. A few years ago, I was able to run a half-marathon. One day, I ended up with a broken toe and fell out of practice, which is not normally a big deal; in the intervening time, however, I fell into a depressive episode. I have made attempts to get back into it since, but it's never worked. I get the opposite of a runner's high, in that I often become agitated and sometimes just angry, for reasons I can't really grasp. Nonetheless, I'm trying it again, if only because I need to lose about thirty pounds. I'm trying the Couch to 5K regimen, which is what got me to the decent runner's state I was in in 2010. Once I lose some weight and gain some of the endurance I lost in the last few years, I'll branch out into lifting and other workouts. I would like to try rock climbing, yes. Thing is, like I mentioned in the OP, exercise is not something I would consider a hobby. It doesn't relax me afterwards, and can often do the opposite of what I want it to do, mentally. Besides, I tend to view it as a task, as work, and that isn't really something I do for fun, but rather because I have to do it.

• Woodworking: I took an "industrial arts" course about twenty years ago, in middle school. I really liked it, and I wish I'd taken more courses like it in the following years, but like the idiot I was, I got stuck in my stupid "I'm good at drawring" mindset and eschewed everything else. I do know not to be a moron when working with power tools, the class did at least help with that, as did watching Norm Abram's show on PBS... Someday, when I have the space (where my daughter can't sneak in and try to help), I'll try my hand at it. I have something I'd like to do in a couple of years, a toy chest. It's going to be like a treasure chest, with a spring-loaded latch. Then, once the latch has been popped open, the lid will rise with the use of small pneumatic lifts, and a string of yellow LEDs attached to the box's rim will light up. I haven't put any work into the design yet, but the concept is there, in my head, at least. Also, I really like miniatures, so building a doll house would be fun to do too. If I can't design the house we're going to live in, why not design one for my kid to play with, right?

• Right now, I'm spending my free time with Duolingo, learning Spanish. Well, taking lessons as a primer for now, anyway, before I move on into aspects I haven't learned yet. It really is about vocabulary for me at the moment, and I'm looking forward to more advanced stuff. For anyone else who is interested, there's also Memrise, which is just a brute-force memorization tool. Repeating the same thing over and over and over really does work, somehow. Once I'm comfortable enough with Spanish, I'll move on to French. I'd really like to try out a Nordic language, but having looked at the lessons, it terrifies me. Maybe later, unless I can land a postdoc in Sweden or Denmark, but I'm not holding my breath.

I haven't been around all that much because I had some shenanigans with my car in the last few weekends. Replacing a clutch, and then an inner tie rod and a lower control arm, in zero-degree hell with nothing more than a halogen lamp for light and heat, is not my idea of a pastime.

Oh, and neither is jury duty.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
So in a few years, when your daughter isn't a little girl any more, you will build her a toy chest and doll house?

That sounds hilarious and like a great idea, to me

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I meant like when she's four.

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
I would look for some social pastimes since you said you have trouble meeting friends. Board games could be a good route. Sports as well as a way to stay in shape that might be more fun than running.

I used meetup.com to find some stuff that interested me, and was a great way for me to go from thinking about doing something to actually doing it.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Not sure this fits your budget or space but I think designing and building first person view aircraft/multirotors would hit all the high points of your interests.

FPV gets your interest in radio going. You can make circular polarized antennas with a few simple supplies.

Your technical drawing skills can be used to design custom frames for multirotors. You can outsource the cutting or do it at a makerspace.

helno fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 14, 2015

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I see woodworking has been mentioned and it's not really feasible for you at the moment, still something to keep in mind for the future. I love woodworking and just in general having a workshop and making things. I was never very practical as a kid and my work is computer related in nature, so this is the polar opposite type of work and I feel it's doing me good and expanding my skill set in other directions.

I've also via this found an interest in old machines and I've bought and restored several old woodworking machines already and in the process of all this I've picked up all kinds of skills and knowledge about electricity and wiring and so forth. I'm not the social type either so I like working by myself in the shop, it's almost like meditation and the hours can fly by.

You might consider hand tool woodworking for starters, much less of a barrier, needs less space, is not loud and is safer (though all the times I've drawn my own blood it has been with a hand tool), check out Paul Sellers on youtube, and there are a myriad of others too.

Janky The Clown
Jan 13, 2015
If your interested in radio, you don't need to have a huge expensive outlay. You can get you a RTL-SDR dongle and some free software and be started listening in your local area for less than $20. If you like i then you can upgrade your antenna, you should be able to do that for about $30 more bucks. The software looks cool (here is a setup video.) It will make you feel like that sonar guy from The Hunt For Red October.

If you want to get more into the HAM side of things you can get a Beofang HF Radio. They work pretty decent for the price, and there is a large group of HAM's that swear by them.

If you want to get your licence you can study for free, I personally used Hamstudy.org. To take the test will cost you $10-$15 bucks, but if you can study and pass all 3 test in one sitting then you will only have to pay that once.

Queenygirlee
Dec 29, 2014
Any suggestions?

Has anyone suggested volunteer work? There is a variety of it out there. You could get involved with children, maybe your daughter could participate as well. You'd be filling your time, spending time with your daughter and helping people. On the other hand if you'd enjoy being outside and using your hands, volunteer for the U.S. Forestry Service and help clean recreation centers. You help Mother Earth and preserve the parks for others to visit.

Queenygirlee
Dec 29, 2014

Arnold of Soissons posted:

So in a few years, when your daughter isn't a little girl any more, you will build her a toy chest and doll house?

That sounds hilarious and like a great idea, to me

Make her a kitchen out of an old cabinet !

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.

toiletbrush posted:

Not at all, my ex climbed harder routes than me and she could barely do a single pull-up. Different routes need different stuff so there's plenty that are about balance, technique, core-strength, guts etc more than brute strength. Plus like The-Mole says you'll build core and upper body strength really quickly, particularly if you concentrate on overhangy stuff.

Has there ever been a climbing ask/tell?

Climbing is fun and this reminds me I should pick it back up after2 years of absence. There isn't an A/T, but there's a pretty good post in YLLS: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3522567

rus0
Nov 14, 2014
Eve Online is a great way to spend a couple......years :P

The best kind of hobby, when into games, is watch for those steam sales, get games super cheap. OR humble bundle.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
gently caress knitting. Try crochet! Knitting may be a tad easier to pick up, but crochet is far easier to advance in. You can learn new stitch techniques in just a few minutes! It also goes by very quickly, which I think gives it a leg up over knitting because people tend to get bored and frustrated working on a wobbly "scarf" forever. Pro tip: don't make your first project a scarf. Start with an ear warmer headband or something. Find a few patterns and make some hats or toys for your kid. Impress your wife with new slippers! Once you've got the hang of it you can crank out a hat in a few hours, or shoot for long term projects like an afghan or a jacket. Check out YouTube for instructional videos, then go to Ravelry.com for more patterns than you'll ever know what to do with.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
I support the idea of a rec sports league. I moved to my current city not knowing a single person, and I'm completely across the country from any family. I became pretty good friends with a few people from work, but I wanted something outside of that (we always inevitably talked about work). Most cities have an adult sports league of some sort, and some sports require very little talent. I played kickball last year. It was a blast and I got to meet some new people.

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 17, 2015

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Super Dude posted:

I support the idea of a rec sports league. I moved to my current city not knowing a single person, and I'm completely across the country from any family. I became pretty good friends with a few people from work, but I wanted something outside of that (we always inevitably talked about work). Most cities have an adult sports league of some sort, and some sports require very little talent. I played kickball last year. It was a blast and I got to meet some new people.

I moved from Texas where I had quite a few friends, my fiancee (in med school, so she can't join me yet), and no job to Georgia where I got a new job, and my sanity is maintained by kiting up in shorts and a jersey and tackling other men wearing the same. Rugby kicks rear end for a good rec sports league, something about shared pain actually brings people pretty close together, also it makes me lose 20 lbs of fat over a season. Lots of good conditioning.

Turtle Blogger
Mar 16, 2006

My Angel

Interstitial Abs posted:

Something great to do indoors is hand balancing. It will make your top half very strong.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Hobbies that make your body healthier/teach you cool life skills/let you socialize with lots of people IRL = good hobbies! Do these!
Hobbies that let you pass time while your gross body falls apart and one day you realize that you've just deceived yourself and now you're old but you also spend money sometimes oh god what have i done = video games, watching QVC

Things that I've enjoyed as a busy protogoon that don't fall into that second category: playing guitar and bass, fencing (fencers are nerds and if you are a nerd, too, that's cool), language learning, programming, writing. Make sure to seek out other hobbyists/critique groups for those last two, though.

Insanite fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jan 19, 2015

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Insanite posted:

Hobbies that make your body healthier/teach you cool life skills/let you socialize with lots of people IRL = good hobbies! Do these!
Hobbies that let you pass time while your gross body falls apart and one day you realize that you've just deceived yourself and now you're old but you also spend money sometimes oh god what have i done = video games, watching QVC

Things that I've enjoyed as a busy protogoon that don't fall into that second category: playing guitar and bass, fencing (fencers are nerds and if you are a nerd, too, that's cool), language learning, programming, writing. Make sure to seek out other hobbyists/critique groups for those last two, though.

There is nothing wrong with video games in moderation.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Super Dude posted:

There is nothing wrong with video games in moderation.

Right. I tend to think of a "hobby" as something requiring an ounce more committment than something you do from time to time to kill, well, time. No big deal.

old man on a horse
Dec 27, 2014

I don't waste my magic on just anything
games and also smoking weed is probably a good idea and it took too long for it to be suggested, but maybe you'll need to do this at night when you're daughter is asleep. Maybe not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Titus Sardonicus posted:

Yep, for the most part, whether drawing mechanical stuff like that, or architectural drawing or whatever. I didn't figure it was really much of a hobby thing, and I guess I was just looking to find out how to get started with an activity like that altogether, rather than inquiring about a recreational aspect to it. It's a weird thing to be interested in in that way anyway, so it was kind of an odd question in the first place.

I used to know a guy who did this as an art thing. He would do these amazing technical diagrams of like 50's style ray guns and other retro sci-fi stuff. He would then get them printed as actual blueprints for display and what not.

• Locked thread