Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I needed a hobby, and like you, have a kid. Child care is always an issue and I feel guilty leaving my daughter at home with my wife while I go off and have fun, so I found a group of dads who got together regularly and did kid stuff with their kids. Zoo, museum, park, backyard, picnic, lunch at somebody's house, whatever. Over several years I met maybe 20 different guys through this group, a handful of whom are basically my best friends now.

To me, hobbies where you constantly buy stuff and make stuff and have projects going... that's loving work, and it stresses me out. I don't want to learn underwater basketweaving, I just want to hang out and bullshit and blow off some stress.

I agree with much of what that guy ^^^ said, in that men are basically loners and there's nothing inherently wrong with that.

Also, getting out of the house once a month will do wonders for you... not necessarily 3x/weekly meetings or building your own scale model rocketship every day for a year, but just meeting a friend once a month for dinner... I am a better person now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Antifreeze Head posted:

If you must cut a 2x4 into matchsticks, do not use a table saw.

Tiny cuts will be wildly dangerous if you are a first time table saw user, and even if you aren't, a band saw is likely a better choice because it won't smash apart all those teeny studs.

Hobby stores sell balsa wood, already cut into matchsticks.

Bonus: You get to keep all your fingers.

• Locked thread