Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Farking Bastage posted:

Obama's legacy: Cuban marijuana cigars :haw:

you haven't lived until you've rolled a blunt with a nice partagas leaf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

wheez the roux posted:

you haven't lived until you've rolled a blunt with a nice partagas leaf

I can only imagine.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Can we get more of the 'has stopped giving a drat' Obama please?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ilustforponydeath posted:

But now who will keep the lovely domestic cigar industry afloat?

Nicaragua and Honduras?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Heh, welcome to the 21st century. :smug: :canada:

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I remember Mujica mentioned the embargo when he was in talks for receiving the Guantanamo detainees. I like to believe he helped :3:

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This is great. Obama trolling the GOP is the best Obama. Rubio won't be alone. Ted Cruz will undoubtedly be against this because his daddies claim to fame is being a refugee from Cuba and anti-Castro shitheel. I so want to lay on a beach in Cuba.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Holy poo poo, progress on Cuba in my lifetime. I mean, I'm only 20 years old, but I really didn't expect this to happen for another 50 years at least.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

radical meme posted:

This is great. Obama trolling the GOP is the best Obama. Rubio won't be alone. Ted Cruz will undoubtedly be against this because his daddies claim to fame is being a refugee from Cuba and anti-Castro shitheel. I so want to lay on a beach in Cuba.
The only thing Americans should lay on a Cuban beach is suppressive fire.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The only thing Americans should lay on a Cuban beach is suppressive fire.

we tried that it didn't work out that well

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

evilweasel posted:

Obama just announced the guy who Cuba released was instrumental in catching Cuba's spy ring in the US and was the most important asset the US has had in Cuba ever and was pretty firm that was who the 3 Cubans were traded for, not Gross.

I almost wonder if he's a fictional non-Gross so everyone can save face. How firm is it that Gross wasn't actually a spy?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I almost wonder if he's a fictional non-Gross so everyone can save face. How firm is it that Gross wasn't actually a spy?

Whatever group he was with had something to do with USAID, and they've got a few marks on their record, I recall.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
I'm jonesing for more tone-deaf Republican complaints about this. Rubio's is the type of hilariously retarded comments that make life worth living: "Sure, the embargo hasn't worked for the last six decades and hasn't done anything to remove Castro from power, BUT YOU JUST HAVE TO GIVE IT A CHANCE, MAAAAAN!"

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Oh my god

quote:

Rubio on the Pope: "I would also ask His Holiness to take up the cause of freedom and democracy."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

'Look, it hasn't worked yet and everyone else on Earth trades with them, but it's a new year!'

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

If you're trying to get Cuban-Americans fired up behind the embargo again, isn't criticizing the loving Pope a bad way to start off?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

The Pope is awesome.

Never thought I'd say that about a guy in that position, but drat if the guy isn't doing some awesome things.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR
Obama finishes off the Republicans by getting photobombed smoking a blunt with Castro et al.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Patter Song posted:

If you're trying to get Cuban-Americans fired up behind the embargo again, isn't criticizing the loving Pope a bad way to start off?

On his birthday, no less.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Patter Song posted:

He crossed that bridge with the last pope already.

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/marco-rubio-pope-7529457

quote:

Florida Republican Sen. Marco Rubio said Wednesday that he is "deeply concerned" that the leadership of the Catholic Church has "negotiated themselves a space of operation" in Cuba "in exchange for looking the other way," and expressed concern that Pope Benedict XVI's upcoming trip to the island may "reinforce that arrangement." Rubio, a Catholic, said during a discussion at The Heritage Foundation that the Catholic Church has "negotiated a political space for themselves in exchange for their moral imperative."

(Let us pause for a moment to realize that discussing religion in front of the otherwise unemployable layabouts at the Heritage Foundation is like lecturing on quantum physics at Chuck E. Cheese. We continue.)

Marco, of course, has a point. If there's anything that the history of the late 20th century has taught us, it's that a papal visit to a crumbling authoritarian regime will have absolutely no effect on that regime's eventual collapse.

Dude just hates popes.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Uggh, my family and Rubio's family are pretty familiar with each other ever since the revolution and watching him flail around trying to appease old angry Cubans is so goddamn frustrating. I hope that deep down he's just being a politician and doesn't actually believe this immensely dumb poo poo he's saying.

e: Ugggghhh talking to my family about this is going to give me a hernia. "Why would we try and give more power to dictators! So what if the people of the island suffer! They are communists!"
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Rexicon1 fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 17, 2014

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Rexicon1 posted:

Uggh, my family and Rubio's family are pretty familiar with each other ever since the revolution and watching him flail around trying to appease old angry Cubans is so goddamn frustrating. I hope that deep down he's just being a politician and doesn't actually believe this immensely dumb poo poo he's saying.

A dwindling number of old angry Cubans - most of that generation seem pretty chill with it at this point.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

The Warszawa posted:

A dwindling number of old angry Cubans - most of that generation seem pretty chill with it at this point.

Don't underestimate the ability of a generation to pass their lovely prejudices and baggage to the next.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

The Warszawa posted:

How influential is the "cuban lobby" these days, anyways? Cubans at least seem to constitute a number of the Spanish-speaking members of congress.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

CobiWann posted:

The last time we "normalized" relations with a country, it was Vietnam during Clinton's administration.

No it was like two years ago with Myanmar

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Rexicon1 posted:

Don't underestimate the ability of a generation to pass their lovely prejudices and baggage to the next.

I dunno, that next generation also seems pretty chill with it. I do wonder if it's an aging thing where they're like "gently caress it, I just want to be able to see where I was born one last time".

I mean sure, diverse beliefs in every camp but my read is that even with opponents, salience has dropped.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
I keep seeing the sentiment here in D&D that the opposition to this deal is coming from aging Cubans and/or from older Cuban generations. Does that mean that the human rights violations and government control no longer exist?

Also, how would the US hope to introduce reforms to Cuba under a government where their leader is president for life?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

quote:

Speaker John A. Boehner on Wednesday called President Obama’s new policy on Cuba the latest in “a long line of mindless concessions to a dictatorship that brutalizes its people and schemed with our enemies.”

“If anything, this emboldens all state sponsors of terrorism, as they now have an even better idea of what the president meant when he told Russian leaders he would have ‘more flexiblity” after his re-election,” Mr. Boehner said in a statement. “We have seen this before, and I fear we will see it again.”

Senator Mitch McConnell, the incoming majority leader, said that he was informed of the impending policy change and release of prisoner Alan Gross on Tuesday evening in a phone call with Mr. Obama. He said he intended to defer on the issue to Senator Marco Rubio, the Florida Republican and son of Cuban immigrants who was very critical of the president’s decision.

“We have a Cuban-American expert, Marco Rubio, whose parents were fortunate enough to get out,” Mr. McConnell said. “I am very likely to be following his lead. I think it will be very controversial with the Cuban-American community, much of which lives in Florida.”

I think it's safe to say the embargo is staying, for now.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I keep seeing the sentiment here in D&D that the opposition to this deal is coming from aging Cubans and/or from older Cuban generations. Does that mean that the human rights violations and government control no longer exist?

No, but the CIA Torture report and the Snowden NSA leaks did bring them to light.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Also, how would the US hope to introduce reforms to Cuba under a government where their leader is president for life?

Well, there were about 50 political prisoners but apparently Cuba released them all today. Certainly there is still censorship and it's an authoritarian state, but that's never stopped the US being buds with China or Vietnam or Saudi Arabia or etc

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

He's quite old, for life isn't that long at this point.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

evilweasel posted:

We'll see, I think its just talk and it'll go through anyways.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR
You can put that title on him all you want, but Fidel has repeatedly stated that he has not been running the Cuban government for quite some time.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Raul isn't president for life. He's stated he is retiring after his current term.

e: Fidel is firmly retired, he is a very old man.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Does that mean that the human rights violations and government control no longer exist?

What it means is that people on D&D recognize that the US policy towards Cuba has done nothing to staunch the human rights violations or authoritarianism, and has probably helped make them possible. Any hope for democracy and human rights in Cuba is going to require a drastic change in our policy.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

evilweasel posted:

He's quite old, for life isn't that long at this point.

Call me crazy, but I don't expect his successor to relinquish the powers of President-for-Life over to reforms suggested from the US.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

evilweasel posted:

quote:

“If anything, this emboldens all state sponsors of terrorism

Can someone refresh my memory and tell me what act of terrorism Cuba has actually sponsored, ever? I know about the Cuban missile crisis but, anything else? Didn't they send troops to Angola but, that was 30 years ago.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Call me crazy, but I don't expect his successor to relinquish the powers of President-for-Life over to reforms suggested from the US.

I'll call you crazy. Raul has said he is done after his current term, there's no reason to think he's lying.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

lol

How much cheap crap from China did you buy for Christmas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

We'll see, I think its just talk and it'll go through anyways.

Rubio is saying they're going to petulantly refuse to confirm an ambassador or approve funds for an embassy:

quote:

“You’re going to have a very interesting couple of years figuring out how you’re going to get an ambassador nominated and how you’re going to get an embassy funded,” Mr. Rubio said.

Mr. Rubio went on to say that it is the role of Congress to provide oversight on such issues and that Republicans would use all of the tools at their disposal to block Mr. Obama’s policy.

“I am committed to doing everything I can to unraveling as many of these change as possible,” Mr. Rubio said. “This Congress is not going to lift the embargo.”

• Locked thread