Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Can we get more of the 'has stopped giving a drat' Obama please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

'Look, it hasn't worked yet and everyone else on Earth trades with them, but it's a new year!'

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm also a bit surprised that the Republican South Florida Cuban politicians of note are being quiet here. I think they know that this isn't the kind of issue you rail against when most people are in favor of at least pretending Cuba exists.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It wouldn't shock me if the GOP acts outraged now, but backs down on their threats by the time things start moving because their corporate overlords told them to get in line.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

ChairMaster posted:

So I'm not all the way up on my history on the subject, but... is there really any way people can be mad about normalizing relations with Cuba on a human rights basis of some sort, when America does like billions of dollars worth of trade with Saudi Arabia, a country that still executes people for sorcery?
The only people losing sleep over this are the old-guard Cuban-American Republicans who now see they have little power anymore. Their money and influence used to be effective, but the generational gap in views has overtaken them, and regular Americans aren't interested in continuing to hold Cold War grudges.

Sadly we don't have a lobby of Saudi ex-pats convincing Congress that SA is the awful place that it is when it comes to basic human rights. Instead we have the Israel Lobby telling Congress that they need to vote for continuing to let them bomb poor people.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I think he meant to say that the current Cuban regime has never agreed that the US has legitimate claims on Guantanamo Bay.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I have to imagine we're not giving up that base until the Gitmo detainees either all get transferred elsewhere or die a natural death. We have nowhere else to put any of them thanks to Congress.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That's pretty drat amazing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

radical meme posted:

Rand Paul kicking Rubio in the balls over this is hilarious. Between this and his failed immigration policy, Rubio can't still be thinking of running for President, can he? The minute McConnell said he was deferring to Rubio on the issue you knew the fix was in and he was being set up for a huge fall.
This is also why I think the GOP leadership is not going to care much about this move by Obama. They have only made some vague statements against it but nothing else. I figure they will end up not interfering as far as building the embassy and sending the ambassador. Either that or they will let Rubio continue to hang himself on it and step aside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah this is just negotiating. I mean just the other day Fidel himself publicly stated his desire for normalization.

• Locked thread