Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
Ads themselves are only one part of the equation. Most of them still use either sessions or cookies, and if you configure your browser to throw out all cookies every time you close the window, you'd quickly see that most websites can't remember anything about you. It can be kind of annoying every time you go to Youtube or something, and in lieu of actual recommendations they serve up the mass market pablum instead. It's entirely clientside, therefore completely controllable -- if only a matter of education.

Serverside stuff is much more nebulous; that's where trackers come up. There is a Firefox browser called Ghostery (https://www.ghostery.com/en/) that keeps track of trackers and also blocks certain cookie kinds.

My method for blocking ads and privacy is a pipeline of a good HOSTS file, then Adblock, then Ghostery, a few flash cookie deleting programs, and then keeping Firefox eternally in private browsing mode to keep no browsing history in local memory. I could do better if I used NoScript, but whitelisting is much more difficult than blacklisting. Arguably, the HOSTS file is the best method of sabotaging advertisements, but it can only be manually updated. Using it in combination with Adblock actually made me admire Adblock more, as even if all the advertisements are blocked, it later goes and cleans up the HTML to make sure a few whitespaces as possible appear in the web design. It's quite elegant, really.

There is one whole book written about the more social aspect of internet advertising, The Daily You by Joseph Turow. It doesn't go into the technical aspect of things as much as I'd like, but it covers things more from the media buying process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread