Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
nazi games on steam:

1) hatred
2) day of defeat
3) call of duty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

closeted republican posted:

At this point, the meltdowns over the game getting greenlit seem to be just as, if not more than, entertaining than the game itself:

Hatred's a big dumb pile of poo poo but those meltdowns are hilarious :D

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I'm disappointed no click-bait articles have been written about. Complete with accusing all 100,000 green light supporters of misogyny, mentioning ethics in journalism, talking about how this one lovely game is alienating women, etc etc.

Maybe the shills are learning, oh well. We will see for sure come release.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

King Vidiot posted:

Hatred's a big dumb pile of poo poo but those meltdowns are hitlarious :D
A shame the game doesn't get delayed so we can get more of this.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Oh man do I love twitter meltdowns. Please post more.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

closeted republican posted:

At this point, the meltdowns over the game getting greenlit seem to be just as, if not more than, entertaining than the game itself:

I hope they put out a four pack!

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

King Vidiot posted:

Hatred's a big dumb pile of poo poo but those meltdowns are hilarious :D
definitely, that pic just keeps on giving

i kinda want a game that is actually claiming to be a genocide simulator to be seriously made now just to see these people go supernova

and it could be done in a way that is a historically accurate strategy title, then what

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

CrashCat posted:

i kinda want a game that is actually claiming to be a genocide simulator to be seriously made now just to see these people go supernova

and it could be done in a way that is a historically accurate strategy title, then what

Technically, Plague Inc. is a genocide simulator where you kill men, women and children in a brutal and terrifying way. Also, Victoria II/EU IV also serve as genocide simulators too. I mean, you can basically subjugate entire cultures and Westernize them, erasing them from history entirely. Not to mention stomping the rebels and executing countless numbers of them. And in CK II you can be a pagan Viking, take an enemy King's wife as a concubine and sacrifice him to Odin. And there's countless strategy games where you can play as the Nazis and win WWII. There's plenty of horrible poo poo you can do in strategy/grand strategy.

The problem is that it has to be graphic, otherwise it wouldn't evoke the same emotions. Pips, numbers and sprites don't carry the same outrage as being knee-deep in well-rendered blood, gore and bodies. Its an obvious contradiction, but they'd look even dumber decrying grand strategy games. Not to mention doing so doesn't generate many clicks for the outrage machine. It'd probably end up like the Polygon review of Tropico V, where the reviewer felt he had the blood of literal children on his hands from playing the game.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jan 1, 2015

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
You could probably evoke the same emotional response in the outrage-addict with sound effects. Modify those games with weeping, crying, pained screams of the dying, watch people lose all objectivity and flip out.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

The Snark posted:

You could probably evoke the same emotional response in the outrage-addict with sound effects. Modify those games with weeping, crying, pained screams of the dying, watch people lose all objectivity and flip out.

Probably, yeah. The irony isn't lost on me that these sort of people allowed it to get green-lit in, what, a couple of days? A normal game can take months. Also, the most voted game on Greenlit ever, for fucks sake. Not to mention the fact that a game like this is never going to get any good press. For the creators, at best it'll be on several obscure websites, generate a little bit of outrage, enough to break even in sales. At worst, it would be completely ignored and get buried in the voluminous amounts of crap shoveled on Steam everyday and die a slow death it (more than likely) deserved.

The creators know this and went right for the clickbait. They created an outrage generating trailer meant to poke the beehive and everyone played their assigned parts. Outrage was drummed up on major gaming websites, twitter warriors called for a ban, got it banned, other twitter warriors called for it to be unbanned, it was unbanned and they green-lit it because it became their pet issue. Now the other twitter warriors are screaming and boycotting Valve, drawing even more attention to it and to Steam. Hatred is on track to make money, no matter how much a piece of poo poo it or its creators are. Maybe a lot of money. At the very least it will create a handful of outrage imitators to try to ride the outrage gravy train and show outrage is an effective marketing tactic. All because people couldn't shut the gently caress up about it and realize that their reaction was the desired and entire point of the trailer and marketing.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jan 1, 2015

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
I'm not going to bemoan this. The people who flip out over these things are specifically looking for things to flip out over anyway it seems. Far better to have the idiots focused on a game like this than, say, making a Scientist cry over his shirt.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

CrashCat posted:

Holocauster Tycoon?

Build railways to carry the undersirables to the extermination camps! Be sure to strike the correct balance between dehumanisation, efficiency, and popular support, or your department might get purged by the glorious leader!

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jan 1, 2015

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I like how culture in a space game basically means that different races are quickly exterminated and exactly replaced by the superior culture. You don't get the traits or building tech of the race you conquered, so you can't explain them just adapting to your rule.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like how this thread has been the same four or five posters for the past 5 pages

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Clickbaited again.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Dapper Dan posted:

It'd probably end up like the Polygon review of Tropico V, where the reviewer felt he had the blood of literal children on his hands from playing the game.

I had to look that up...

Polygon posted:

BLOOD ON THE SAND

During loading screens players are treated to a series of gorgeous oil-paintings, the kind you might pick up yourself at a roadside stand on some tropical island. Each one has a sentence or two that shares some lighter anecdotes about infamous dictators. Instead of injecting levity into the game, they only served to darken the mood.

The game sells itself as an escape from the confines of traditional city-building video games that take themselves too seriously. But then in this game you can watch as soldiers run from your palace, kick in the doors of private homes and shoot dissenters in their sleep. Then, you can look at the individual family trees and confirm that you have made their partners into widows and orphaned their children.

It was hard for me to get perspective on all the charming quirks of Kim Jong Il, Envar Hoxha and Nicolae Ceaușescu — people who I was imitating in the game — when I knew that they were responsible for the rape, murder and enslavement of many thousands, perhaps even millions of real people. Instead of making me chuckle, Tropico 5 constantly reminded me of all the blood staining my hands.

Hahahaha that is loving priceless. It'll be worth Hatred coming out just to be able to see the exact moment in the review where the writer has a stroke.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Endorph posted:

i like how this thread has been the same four or five posters for the past 5 pages
it takes a special breed to run dumb poo poo into the ground. but hey i got a list of games where you can actually be a nazi or commit genocide now, so it was educational

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Not that I condone this game or plan to buy it, but I get the feeling stupid poo poo like that Polygon article on Tropico 5 are why so many gamers were Greenlighting this piece of poo poo.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Not that I condone this game or plan to buy it, but I get the feeling stupid poo poo like that Polygon article on Tropico 5 are why so many gamers were Greenlighting this piece of poo poo.

Yeah. It is worth it to just to make them pissed off and wring their hands some more.

King Vidiot posted:

Hahahaha that is loving priceless. It'll be worth Hatred coming out just to be able to see the exact moment in the review where the writer has a stroke.

Polygon is an endless source of stupid garbage that can be mocked into the ground, so it pays to troll them just to see what comes out of it. I mean, these were the guys who hired Ben 'Controllers feel like real human breasts' Kuchera.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Mr. Fortitude posted:

yeah, even long before gg hit Polygon was already notorious for a tendency to post really whiny articles that had less to do about playing games than what the games do to society. i guess there's a niche for that, but they didn't even bill it like that on the site from what i could tell. it seems to me like that is a big enough break from the norm that they should have embraced it and branded around it, but my guess is they wanted to keep a mainstream audience while providing niche content.

so the result was predictable, people got repeatedly blindsided by what Polygon was putting out and got more and more upset about it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CrashCat posted:

yeah, even long before gg hit Polygon was already notorious for a tendency to post really whiny articles that had less to do about playing games than what the games do to society. i guess there's a niche for that, but they didn't even bill it like that on the site from what i could tell. it seems to me like that is a big enough break from the norm that they should have embraced it and branded around it, but my guess is they wanted to keep a mainstream audience while providing niche content.

so the result was predictable, people got repeatedly blindsided by what Polygon was putting out and got more and more upset about it
i feel like after one or two times they would realize that polygon wasn't a site they'd want to read and move on with their lives

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Endorph posted:

i feel like after one or two times they would realize that polygon wasn't a site they'd want to read and move on with their lives
most would, but they would accumulate and the mentally ill will keep coming back anyway, and eventually you have a whole lynch mob of angry idiots with a few insane people to spur them on

thus, internet activism

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CrashCat posted:

most would, but they would accumulate and the mentally ill will keep coming back anyway, and eventually you have a whole lynch mob of angry idiots with a few insane people to spur them on

thus, internet activism
are you talking about gamergate or sjws here

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Endorph posted:

are you talking about gamergate or sjws here
does it even matter

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CrashCat posted:

does it even matter
point

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

CrashCat posted:

i always assumed they were just another poo poo gaming website (they did hire ben kuchera after all). i never really read polygon before, so that Tropico 5 article came as a hilarious surprise. Attached with a pretty whiny, pathetic writer. i don't really give a poo poo about them or what they do. i just occasionally read their articles because they are almost universally awful and hilarious at the same time. i mean, holy poo poo they named a micro-transaction game about kim loving kardashian the most progressive game of the summer. that's comedy gold right there.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Dapper Dan posted:

i always assumed they were just another poo poo gaming website (they did hire ben kuchera after all). i never really read polygon before, so that Tropico 5 article came as a hilarious surprise. Attached with a pretty whiny, pathetic writer. i don't really give a poo poo about them or what they do. i just occasionally read their articles because they are almost universally awful and hilarious at the same time. i mean, holy poo poo they named a micro-transaction game about kim loving kardashian the most progressive game of the summer. that's comedy gold right there.
i was once bummed that such a nice looking site (at least in mobile view) was wasting that pretty design on garbage, but then i read an article that was the equivalent of committing a crime just so you can see a police officer and tell them about what you had for breakfast. an article so bad that i lost any shred of sympathy. i don't even remember what the article was anymore, but it was definitely some prime non sequitur bullshit

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Archer666 posted:

Can't talk about Polish violent games and not mention Franko: The Crazy Revenge

Nazis all the way down
Oh man, nostalgia trip! One level was specifically designed so that you only killed crippled old people, this game was the poo poo when I was 13.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Dapper Dan posted:

Are we talking about the Tropico 5 article where the guy has problems with the game because you can send anyone you like to prison? I still wonder who the gently caress can't handle pixel men being put in a prison. Not even killed, just put into prison.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

dogstile posted:

Are we talking about the Tropico 5 article where the guy has problems with the game because you can send anyone you like to prison? I still wonder who the gently caress can't handle pixel men being put in a prison. Not even killed, just put into prison.

Yup. http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/4/5720864/tropico-5-review-wasted-away-again

Here are some of the good parts:

quote:

It was hard for me to get perspective on all the charming quirks of Kim Jong Il, Envar Hoxha and Nicolae Ceaușescu — people who I was imitating in the game — when I knew that they were responsible for the rape, murder and enslavement of many thousands, perhaps even millions of real people. Instead of making me chuckle, Tropico 5 constantly reminded me of all the blood staining my hands

Tropico 5 succeeded in making me feel powerful, and it enabled me to create a world in my image. But the game so entirely lacks compassion that it made me feel like a bully.

I've never read a review where I've seen a reviewer being such a huge pussy. It really is hilarious, though I don't know how a person like that actually functions if a video game bothers him that much.

CrashCat posted:

i was once bummed that such a nice looking site (at least in mobile view) was wasting that pretty design on garbage, but then i read an article that was the equivalent of committing a crime just so you can see a police officer and tell them about what you had for breakfast. an article so bad that i lost any shred of sympathy. i don't even remember what the article was anymore, but it was definitely some prime non sequitur bullshit

Color me not surprised. I remember them saying they were going full on progressive or making up a new progressive site. I can't really remember but I honestly don't give a poo poo either way, because whatever it is I'm sure it'll involve awful, hilarious click-bait garbage.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jan 2, 2015

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Thompsons posted:

Hotline Miami 2
Get hype for good games imo

The Snark posted:

Bein serious for a second for a moment, well duh.

gamers ruin game's!!!

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jan 2, 2015

Karpaw
Oct 29, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Dapper Dan posted:

i mean, holy poo poo they named a micro-transaction game about kim loving kardashian the most progressive game of the summer. that's comedy gold right there.

Leigh Alexander put that in her top 5 of 2014. Seems like a blatant attempt to troll gamergaters.

This is the current state of the cultural conversation about games. An ongoing spat between self-righteous twats desperate to think their navelgazing about electronic toys has some social importance and people who want to gun them down in said toys. Happy new 2015.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Karpaw posted:

Leigh Alexander put that in her top 5 of 2014. Seems like a blatant attempt to troll gamergaters.

This is the current state of the cultural conversation about games. An ongoing spat between self-righteous twats desperate to think their navelgazing about electronic toys has some social importance and people who want to gun them down in said toys. Happy new 2015.

Kind of, but I think it is more a hipster thing to do. Quite possibly the largest amount of hipster douche-baggery you can pull off when writing about games. "Oh, people don't like a mobile game designed to gently caress the consumer hard with a spiky dildo by including as many micro-transactions as possible while being designed around a horrible excuse for a human being? They just don't get it like I do, man :smug:" The only way it could be worse is if it praised the Dungeon Keeper Mobile Remake as being the best re-imaging of the franchise. Obscure indie games have become too 'mainstream'. They gotta go all the way back around to money grabbing, poo poo mobile games that the entire gaming community hates but only they get the true message of.

The article itself is about as subtle as a brick to the face with its intentions. It is written so obviously out of spite and contempt for the target audience, blatant non-conformism and a large helping of click-bait. It isn't anything to get frothing at the mouth screaming about. It is there to laugh at, because my God, you have to be one dumb motherfucker to actually believe that poo poo.

And yeah, it looks like this is going to last a while. Probably well into this year. At least it is entertaining with the amount of stupid flying around on both sides.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 2, 2015

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
i think it's great the "they're just toys" thing only gained traction when the people who write about them got all condescending about those who consume them lol

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Dapper Dan posted:

Kind of, but I think it is more a hipster thing to do. Quite possibly the largest amount of hipster douche-baggery you can pull off when writing about games. "Oh, people don't like a mobile game designed to gently caress the consumer hard with a spiky dildo by including as many micro-transactions as possible while being designed around a horrible excuse for a human being? They just don't get it like I do, man :smug:"
Not to mention if their point is that it mocks the microtransaction thing by making the transactions ridiculous, there's actually satirical games out there like Cow Clicker that did that angle intentionally long before. So a lovely pop culture cash in game is even late to the party in that aspect.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Dapper Dan posted:

I've never read a review where I've seen a reviewer being such a huge pussy. It really is hilarious, though I don't know how a person like that actually functions if a video game bothers him that much.

I mean, it's alright if doing bad things in a game makes you take a very brief pause to go "wow, that's hosed up" but that should be the extent of it. You shouldn't break down and start shaking because the Big Mean Game forced you to send the Secret Police to someone's house to kill their family.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I'm not sure that click-bait like polygon is actually harmless.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
I think it is generous to assume that Leigh Alexander isn't stupid enough to sincerely like and defend the Give Kardashian Your Money game, but I sincerely don't care that she likes it if so. Kardashian will probably spend Alexander's money better than they would have otherwise. This is probably true of most people stupid enough to buy into it.

Especially if they're doing so because Leigh Alexander endorsed it.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
Even a neonazi is protesting this game
http://www.gameranx.com/features/id/26029/article/why-hatred-doesn-t-deserve-a-platform-on-steam/
does it make it superbad or good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That depends if we can post about it in other threads. Don't do it.

• Locked thread