Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
I think people who make games with questionable content should not be allowed to make games or sell them. I want everyone here to stop playing games with questionable content. Except me, of course, because I know what games are sufficiently low in questionable content.

Hehehehe, ten bucks out of an idiot's pocket and it's an improvement over the other one while still demonstrably false.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
Hatred got me an upgraded Avatar, I like this game and hope it does well. I don't want to own it though, because it's basically clickbait for self-righteous idiots with nothing else to appeal to me.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

CrashCat posted:

So you like the game, but you don't want to play it, but you want it to make money. Do I have that correct? Why do you want someone to make money for a game you don't want to play made for people you think are idiots?

Because maybe someone will learn something, and even if they don't I find it very amusing personally. Mind you, it wasn't made to be played by people I think are idiots. It was made to capitalize on the attention of people I think are idiots. The game itself will probably not be played by all but the most hypocritical of those idiots.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

CrashCat posted:

Who is the someone and what will they learn? How is that amusing? This would be a lot less confusing for me if you'd just come out and say things directly.

:colbert: It's not my job to educate you.

But to try anyway...

It's amusing because in raising a furor over the game they've made it a greater success than if they had just ignored it. It's like the Catholic Church getting bent out of shape over the DaVinci Code only without quite as much critical thinking.

I'm also amazed my obvious 'change my avatar' bait post actually worked. That's bloody hilarious.

So the people doing these things? They're the someones.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

CrashCat posted:

Oh, well if they do hunt you down then there's at least a game there. Pretty much everyone I've ever known played GTAs by killing random innocent people and then trying to lose the cops, at least once or twice just to see if they could do it. That's like a tradition at this point, though making an entire game out of just that and keeping it entertaining would be difficult. Oh, and none of those people who played GTAs have gone on to do any violent crimes that I know of.

Not in any percentage to be statistically important that I am aware of. With any sufficiently large group of people you can surely find some people who both played GTA games AND did something violent. Said people also probably had other correlations, like drinking sodas or eating fast food. 100% of puppy torturers breath air you know, just like Hitler.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
Hey, someone was upset about it enough to buy me the Avatar. Can't say SA goons don't care. Can't say who the someone is, because I don't know, nor do I need to.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Ddraig posted:

Here's the big difference between this game and any other game that features violence:

This game was made by neo-nazis, or at the very least neo-nazi sympathizers.

You may be able to kill hookers and russians in other games but the big difference is when you do so you're not directly funding nazis. I'm sure there's a big audience out for this game, and they have all rights to sell it, I just don't really think Steam should be funding nazis.

You aren't funding nazis with this one either. That has, as I understand it, been debunked several times now. Don't let that take away from your righteous rage high though!

Endorph posted:

i think they bought you that for being an idiot not because of the game

It was in direct response to my commenting on the game. Hell, they even conflated me and Powercrazy in issuing it.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Do you really draw pictures of naked children as expressed in your avatar text

Why as it happens, no! I do not nor ever have! Indeed, I invite you to go through my posting history to find one instance of me so much as endorsing such a thing.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
I'm envious of your avatar actually, Powercrazy. The "Mass Simulators" fuckup makes it particularly special. If you ever change it, I might have to buy it myself.

They were SO HIGH on self-righteousness they couldn't be arsed to double-check their work. Sieg Hail indeed.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Ddraig posted:

The CEO of Deconstructive Criticism said he did like the Polish Defence League's page, but he was only doing to get news stories. This, I'm sure, is perfectly harmless - much like following the BNP's mailing list for their excellent baking recipes, or following the Aryan Nation on Facebook for their excellent coverage of baseball matches.

They may be a known hate-organization that goes on anti-semitic rallies, often with the 'roman salute' in full glory, but they also happen to be very keen journalists with bleeding edge coverage of the most important world issues.

I mean, the mainstream media wouldn't DREAM of posting incisive commentary like this:

Mainly because it's loving mental and racist

You were gone for that long and that's the best you've got for the claim 'It was made by Neo-Nazis'?

Did one of the devs write that comment and make that infographic?

Is it that hard to accept you blew the gently caress up over virtually nothing or at best over misinformation?

You bought these avatars, didn't you? Thank you, Ddraig.

The Snark fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 17, 2014

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Mokinokaro posted:

It's more than just the CEO.

-Gameplay designer Jakub Stychno is a supporter of the fascistic Obóz Narodowo Radykalny, as well as the homophobic, nationalistic Młodzież Wszechpolska.

-FX artist Marcin Kaźmierczak is also a supporter of Młodzież Wszechpolska, and of several anti-social justice, anti-gay Facebook pages. (Including a right-wing boycott of a Polish boxer who supports gay rights.)

-Level designer and lighting artist Cyprian Listowski has another job as a tattoo designer; two of his original designs include symbolism commonly associated with right-wing groups. One depicts a sonnenrad, a sunwheel symbol popular among Neo-Nazis. The other incorporates a słoneczko (an Early Slavic variation on the swastika appropriated by nationalists) and an “othala rune”, framed within a larger “life rune”.

If it was just the CEO it could be an easy mistake, but all 4 guys have some (at least online) association with hate groups. I'm not going to stretch that to claim they're Neo Nazis, but they're definitely fans of groups I wouldn't want to support in any way.

(Citation Needed) If there were proof I am sure Ddraig would have happily dropped that truth bomb already. That one of them once did a tattoo with squiffy symbolism is almost as weak as-

Ddraig posted:

I'm sure he was truly looking for world news stories, which is why he decided to associate himself with a group that has been patrolling Polish nightclubs to stop Muslim men talking to Women.

http://www.thenews.pl/1/9/Artykul/158678,AntiIslamic-group-patrols-clubs-to-defend-Polish-women

They do have some innovation, I guess. They managed to condense the 14 words into 13. That's something.

If I might make a suggestion to the CEO in the future, maybe he could be better informed about world events by following a non-Racist organization. The BBC for example, usually have excellent coverage.

- claiming one of them once liking something on an extremist news facebook page or something (and since unliking as I understand it even) is comparable to being a Hitler Fanboy. Also, Ddraig, you can point at what tangentially related third party said all day, it doesn't mean the person you are trying to link it to is a supporter of it. Have you ever liked anything someone you didn't know like your own kin said? What if they also said things you didn't know they said that were bad?

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Eye of Widesauron posted:

The dude unliked the NAMBLA page so gently caress it, he's good.

Tell you what, how about someone does an absurd amount of creepy internet detectivery on you until they find something you've liked said by someone who also said things elsewhere that you might not have liked. Now lets have those people announce to everyone they know how you are X. Keep in mind that now you are guilty of X, so anything you say in your defense is inadmissible because you're a filthy X'ist.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
Witch hunts! McCarthyism! This isn't progressive, this is going back in time!

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Endorph posted:

so what neo nazi facebook groups have you liked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocw90W44Boc

Also, none. Dig away, weirdo.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

King Vidiot posted:

Without taking a side either way, I'm idly curious as to what the response would have been if Hatred had been a game about a Valerie Solanas type going around with the specific goal of killing all men. And don't make it any different than Hatred, you can still kill women but maybe have the sound bites be different for killing men vs. killing women.

For my part, I would be equally supportive of such a game existing. Assuming a sad version doesn't exist already anyway.

Probably wouldn't be buying it either, but it'd be just as hilarious/pathetic if a bunch of people defending Hatred flipped sides and wanted to quash it. Likewise the people attacking Hatred flipping sides to defend such.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

icantfindaname posted:

yeah that's basically how it works. i'm glad we've reached an understanding

I wondering when an idiot would basically say 'this but unironic' regarding that.

That's not, as it happens, how it actually works.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

This is much funnier than my link.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I mean, I think you're getting kind of a different vibe than I intended. I dig on stuff like Dead Rising, Sniper Elite, etc. for similar reasons; I work at a really lovely job where I deal with a lot of idiots, and I like being able to sit back with my bong and my Xbox controller and push buttons and go "heh heh" at the dumb gore when I get off work.

I'm not transplanting any sort of desire to murder people in real life on to the game, it just looks like it takes this sort of idea and cuts straight to the point.

Nice try, MURDERER. Where do you hide all the bodies you PSYCHO?!

I am not about to let the overwhelming likelihood that you are probably a perfectly decent person interfere with the emotional high I get from imagining you are the horrible monster I have personally revealed you as! You're just one of the hundreds of people who like things I don't like which LITERALLY proves you are an inferior, hateful shitlord and that conversely for NOT liking what you like I am in fact super awesome and beloved by everyone who isn't a horrible shitlord monster. (If you don't love me, it's probably because you're a horrible shitlord and I didn't like you anyway so there!)

Such behavior in no way indicates I am the sadder creature on multiple levels.

The Snark fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Dec 19, 2014

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Ddraig posted:

Why don't you stop fighting that straw man and address the real argument: This game is made by far-right extremists. Whether or not they're strictly defined as neo-nazis is a semantic debate, but I don't really think Steam should provide financial support to people who make their extremist views known.

It could be a touching game about the futility of memory, but it's providing support to people who have demonstrably harmful and destructive views. There's a few record stores in my city and they absolutely refuse to stock Skrewdriver records. Skrewdriver's music hasn't been 'censored' or banished to Room 101, it's still freely available elsewhere, just not in that particular business.

The Hatred developers can feel free to send their game to wherever they think it will be sold, and if those people decide to sell it, that's up to them, I just don't think that most reputable companies should touch a fascist's vanity project with a 10ft bargepole, and I really do truly think less of Steam and Gabe as a result of this.

Correct, that was indeed a straw man. That was quite bad of me, though I would note that the only thing it has that icantfindname's posts do not is self-awareness.

As for this project you have deemed to be the Hitler Youth's Class Project on what continues to be fairly flimsy evidence the solution is simple. Do not buy the game. If you really want to say something, abandon Steam entirely and by all means encourage everyone who agrees with you to do the same.

Ranting about how the game is pure evil that should be purged only serves to encourage resentment of you and your message. It's that much worse if you extend that to say anyone who doesn't agree with you is a monster just as bad.

The Polygon hitpeice (and screw you all for compelling me read that to confirm there was no actual new evidence) again presents no new evidence and furthers slander because boy sure wouldn't it be nice IF they were nazis so they'd be right.

(edited for at least 20% less hyperbole because that's a bad habit everyone should probably start trying to dial down on as much as possible.)

The Snark fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 19, 2014

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Hmmm there's alot of people with nazi avatars posting atm ...

If you'd said anything even scandalously neutral about Hatred's acceptability of existence at the right time someone was flipping out proper in the Steam thread, you'd have one too. Too late now though, probably.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
http://www.somethingawful.com/video-game-article/prototype-dick-mercer/

Look at this rear end in a top hat, to make this article he probably had to kill countless imaginary civilians in a video game for NO REASON than because he found it FUNNY!

HOW MANY PEOPLE HAS HE KILLED IN REAL LIFE?!

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Yeah they should deny them access because it's a really lovely and bad game that's using socially reprehensible marketing in an attempt to go viral in the absence of any actual redeeming gameplay.

If this game were delisted again tomorrow no one would give a poo poo except the devs and everyone they've hoodwinked into buying into their marketing.

There's a long list of lovely games of worse quality to ban from Steam before we get to Hatred even then, I'd note. Jim Motherfucking Sterlingson has found half of his material these days from those alone.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
You're reading it with the wrong tone of voice then. I personally would like to imagine all my posts being said in the voice of Professor Farnsworth.

Good news everybody!

Also that is a classic Game Article I linked. Everyone who ever played Prototype should read it.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

d0s posted:

all the true believers from the gg thread are in here defending the honor of the nazi far right extremist game. shocking, imo

Here's that extra bingo space you wanted filled, Eye of Widesauron.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
I want goons to predict this game will fail hard and not sell at all.

Primarily because it's the kiss of life.

See : Doobie's Dog House, Star Citizen, Bitcoin (Not that any of these things deserved to or should have persisted.)

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

After helping to dismantle the old gamergate thread with some bros and getting several people banned in the old gamergate thread by trolling them into basically doing banmes (with really bad trolling I might add) I'm good. Thanks for the invite though.

The best was that one dude whose last post was admitting he had AIDS before he ate a perma.

After helping to 'try' and dismantle the old gamergate thread. The imps failed. Everyone else did too, it took Manlove getting sufficiently upset to authorize infinite goatses.

And then Hellthread was born. After the super clever ant thread of course. That said, I do appreciate that the more mental in ye olden thread did melt down and set themselves on fire.

Kind of miss Big Duck Equals Goose though, found them fairly funny.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
When Powercrazy changes their avatar, I'm taking it. I'd request a mod switch our avatars, but I don't think any actually like me.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
Did you know every .00003 seconds several hundred characters are killed in a video game?

Yes, that's right, in the time it has taken me to type this, thousands upon thousands of depictions of human beings, nonhuman beings, vague approximations of sentient creatures and, needless to say, billions of virtual animals have been brutally slaughtered.

Oftentimes these definitively innocent virtual things, who's only crime was being created by humans, are being killed horribly by virtual fire, bullets, lasers, magical spells, yelling, flying furniture, other characters, physics glitches, robots and in other inhumane and frankly impossible ways.

When will this brutality end?

I propose we set a stop to it right now. The journey will be long and hard, but won't it be worth it to finally live in a world where no one need have their minds sullied by anything more graphic than plant growth simulators?

Stand with me and my freshly founded lobbying group, Gamers Ethically Thwarting Outlandish Uberviolence and Terror.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Ddraig posted:

Far Cry 2 is far from my favorite but it is very good. Surprisingly it also features a lot of killing people which I don't object to on principle. It also isn't made by neo Nazis so it also has that going for it.

Neither was Hatred. There is no evidence to that effect beyond there apparently having been one dev that clicked the 'like' button on facebook .

I know, I know, you really hate Neo-Nazis. At the core of it, that's not a bad thing! However when you are so eager to hate on Neo-Nazis you will attack anyone some idiot (or group thereof) said was a Neo-Nazi... you are cheapening the cause of hating on Neo-Nazis by becoming nigh as blind as they tend to be.

You are, at that point, hating for the sake of hating with the accusation of Neo-Nazism simply being a convenient excuse.

You are becoming your enemy.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

King Vidiot posted:

Well you see, they're not neo-Nazis but they are fascist sympathizers and probably complete dickheads, and their game looks boring so I'm not buying it.

I'm not buying it either, though every time someone says it won't sell at all I am tempted to just to demonstrate the objective falsity.

Their supposed fascist sympathies are, even if they exist at all, are being exaggerated to hell and back and I think the odds of them being complete dickheads is unlikely. I believe complete dickheads would have handled this much worse than they have thus far. For the most part they just seem to be incredulous at things like the Polygon hit-piece even while they seem to be perfectly aware it probably only translates into more sales in the end.

I will also buy it if in a twist ending it turns out to be Nathan Explosion's fever dream, as at least one goon has hypothesized.

CrashCat posted:

I apologize for being snippy but I think you could see where I was coming from since I thought that was the only piece of evidence presented. :kiddo:

As far as I am aware, that still is pretty much the only 'evidence' presented. Another goon who apparently claims to be an expert on racist symbolism said that he saw where one of the devs did tattoos once that had such symbolism in them- though I would say it seems highly unlikely that only neo-nazi fascists like Mjolnir.

The Snark fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 19, 2014

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
Citation still needed. All they did was use the actual names when making the accusations.

Also look at those supposedly damning tattoos that are linked to, tell me you wouldn't see any number of non-fascists with similar or identical works.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Ddraig posted:

Mjolnir, a known symbol coopted by white supremacists with a swastika in it? No, totally the request of a Hindu neo-pagan. I mean, it's not as if either of those symbols have any completely different meaning other than "I am a believer of both Hinduism and Asatru"

Maybe if they truly are both they could perhaps choose a different design? How about Thor and Ganesh, back to back, fending off the hordes at Ragnarok? A much better design, and one that isn't going to get you bundled in with Neo Nazis, assuming that isn't your goal.

Master Chief was a Neo Nazi.

Said tattoo could also just mean 'I dig Norse mythology'. Maybe they didn't want to give up liking Norse mythology just because some assholes also liked it? But, no, you are the divine arbiter of tattoo decisions and clearly whoever got this tattoo was a monster, so the person who gave them the tattoo they wanted was a monster accordingly thus you are TOTALLY JUSTIFIED to hate them all.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Two Beans posted:

If someone doesn't drop what they're doing right this second and code up a game where I can farm edgy grimdark douchebags as if they're boars in Westfall, well then I guess censorship wins.

Have you considered making such a game? Or perhaps rallying your super-talented friends to make such a game? I promise to vote to Greenlight it for Steam when it's ready, and I didn't do that for Hatred even.

Just let us know when it's ready, yes?

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Powercrazy posted:

The butthurt is real.

Did they wait for you to replace the other fantastically stupid forced avatar before giving you that competently executed but nevertheless terribly stupid forced avatar?

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
You know what other hyperviolent game came from Polish folks?

Bulletstorm.

Has anyone looked into the facebook like history of People Can Fly?

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
Launching petition to have the Hatred Devs mod alien antennae onto all of the characters to make it all OK.

Protagonist/Antagonist will now be called Gerzorbugh Male, he will go on a hrmphage that will make the streets run blue with wunshphizz.

The Snark fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 26, 2014

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
Admittedly I liked this better when it was dead on my last post, but I have to note Twitter Meltdowns over this are indeed hilarious. Funnier than the game could ever be.

Short of a controversy free mode or an ending in which it was all Nathan Explosion's daydreaming.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
You could probably evoke the same emotional response in the outrage-addict with sound effects. Modify those games with weeping, crying, pained screams of the dying, watch people lose all objectivity and flip out.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
I'm not going to bemoan this. The people who flip out over these things are specifically looking for things to flip out over anyway it seems. Far better to have the idiots focused on a game like this than, say, making a Scientist cry over his shirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
I think it is generous to assume that Leigh Alexander isn't stupid enough to sincerely like and defend the Give Kardashian Your Money game, but I sincerely don't care that she likes it if so. Kardashian will probably spend Alexander's money better than they would have otherwise. This is probably true of most people stupid enough to buy into it.

Especially if they're doing so because Leigh Alexander endorsed it.

• Locked thread