Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Post in here if you're quitting or want to quit playing MMO's. Think of it like a support group. I don't want to see anyone making disparaging remarks about those trying to quit their addiction; only constructive criticism, please. And let's try to keep the criticism of those who are able to play MMO's and stop whenever they want to to an absolute minimum.

This is a safe space, a trust tree built out of branches of kindness. Respect the trust tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

i dont have a problem, leave me alone....

next thing i know and you'll be staging an intervention and something will happen that we will all regret.......

edit: and by that i mean ill whip out my taekwondo i learned from ranking in RO and whoop you're asses

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
What if I want other people to quit playing mmos?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Belzac posted:

I think it would be okay to discuss intervention strategies as long as we keep it positive; this is a caring, rehabilitative environment, not a punitive one.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm Eonwe and I have a problem

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Eonwe posted:

I'm Eonwe and I have a problem

Eonwe, welcome. What itch do MMO's scratch for you?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I feel the need to be video game important and being in MMOs helps me feel this feeling.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Eye of Widesauron posted:

Eonwe, welcome. What itch do MMO's scratch for you?

For me they scratch the need to have something I can be good at and feel the tiniest smidgen of (shameful) pride or satisfaction in :smith:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 18, 2014

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

For me they scratch the need to have something I can be good at and feel the tiniest smidgen of (shameful) pride or satisfaction in :smith:

We're here to help you realize that you can find this within yourself. You can be good at stuff and take pride in it; personally I think that there are a lot of people who think that you can only be good at stuff or take pride in stuff if it's something "big" enough. I don't believe that. For some people just getting out of bed in the morning without wanting to smoke a cigarette is a huge accomplishment (and that poo poo is really hard to pull off if you're trying to quit), for example.

But hey, if you're good at something in an MMO, that's still you being good at something. Why feel shame in that? When I vendored a hyacinth macaw and frapsed it and put it on youtube to make guildies angry it was really funny and I used that to bolster the other awesome poo poo in my life, yeah?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I guess for a real answer from me - I genuinely like interacting with people and making friends, even if its online. Having a persistent world is pretty cool and allows you to really make friends in a way that you can't in other games.

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!

Eye of Widesauron posted:

This is a safe space, a trust tree built out of branches of kindness. Respect the trust tree.

You fool, you can't trust trees.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

OrangeSoda posted:

You fool, you can't trust trees.

Paging Horizontal Tree to thread, paging Tree to thread.

In case you didn't know, trees are op.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I don't have a problem. It's everyone else with the problem.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Ciaphas posted:

maybe you could shoot higher than an activity designed to be easily mastered by illiterate children

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I played MMOs so much that I pretty much wrecked my college career due to one and now just got a job from the same company that effectively wrecked said college career.

Lesson: gently caress college, play vidja games. I'm sure it'll work out just fine!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

at the date posted:

maybe you could shoot higher than an activity designed to be easily mastered by illiterate children

Don't remind me :smithicide:

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

id probably still be playing wow if it didnt get terrible

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

I like to play MMOs because of my easily exploited human psychology. :f5:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operant_conditioning_chamber

Edward_Lapine
Jan 21, 2011

I thought you were actually gay, I mean...
So did I, for a bit, but then I found out about the prohibitive standards of hygiene, and all that DANCING!
I've played a handful of MMOs, but Final Fantasy XIV is probably the one I invested the most time into. Along with being a good MMO, it tugs at my childhood nostalgia with familiar Final Fantasy references.

Yes I know they're skinner boxes but if I run this dungeon/duty 5 more times I can get the full set of Dragoon armor and look like Kain from FF4. :3:

Oh, and patch 2.4 came out with the Ninja class so I can now pretend I'm Shadow from FF6. :ninja:

help me...

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I like MMOs that have reasonably engaging fights. It's like cooperative puzzle solving to me and that's pretty cool cuz I can bullshit with friends while I do it.

Wwlp, that's my story.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
If I can't play MMOs with THE GOONS then I don't ever want to.

Not really. Unless they are playing Final Fantasy the Fourteenth or running with Third World Reggin, goons are pretty terrible at video games.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Guys I'm a 37 year old man and cant stop playing video games please help.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Givin posted:

If I can't play MMOs with THE GOONS then I don't ever want to.

Not really. Unless they are playing Final Fantasy the Fourteenth or running with Third World Reggin, goons are pretty terrible at video games.

Every mmo goon is so obsessed with pubbies that it just gets sad at a certain point

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ArtIsResistance posted:

Every mmo goon is so obsessed with pubbies that it just gets sad at a certain point

Yeah, I see goons talking about pubbies in a negative tone, and its like...dude we're pubbies who paid $10. Also goons who believe the myth of 'the goon' dominating every game

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Eonwe posted:

Yeah, I see goons talking about pubbies in a negative tone, and its like...dude we're pubbies who paid $10. Also goons who believe the myth of 'the goon' dominating every game

I paid $11 so I could have a 10% superiority increase.

Kettlepip
Jun 23, 2009

Belzac posted:

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

at the date posted:

You should probably read the OP and be more positive. This is a caring place for rehabilitation of addicts.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ciaphas posted:

Dude - I get this. Its fun to be involved in a game community. There is no reason to :smith:

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Eonwe posted:

generally goons are way the gently caress worse than your average pub :sweatdrop:

but whatever, video games are fun

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Eonwe posted:

Its fun to be involved in a game community.

rap music posted:

video games are fun

These are positive springboards we can use to help lift people up instead of beating them down.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Also a big reason why I get involved in MMO communities early is because I like to experience the early rush of an MMO. Everyone is figuring poo poo out, then some guilds end up being good, there are fun politics, etc. There is some content that is always better when the game comes out and is populated than a few months after release when its a ghost town. Some content only lasts X amount of time before an expansion, and it sucks knowing you missed out on something.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The other day I was playing an MMO and I made my leg armor go from Item Rating 92 to Item Rating 94 and I felt a feel. A feel of accomplishment.

Margaret Thatcher
Jan 2, 2013

by Cowcaster
The weird thing is, most MMOs aren't even that fun. Yet, for some odd reason, I have a burning desire to keep playing them.

This is especially true for EVE - a game that is notoriously hard to 'quit' properly. Sure, I may take a few months break, but somehow I always find myself resubscribing.

MMOs are lifesucking things and the sooner they're out of my life the better.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Hello my name is Cao Ni Ma, and I've been playing MMOs since a childhood friend went over to my house one day and told me "you gotta play this poo poo" and gave me a cd-r with the words Ragnarok Online sharpied into it. I think I was in intermediate school by then or maybe early high school.

I load the poo poo up, I download the patches and started playing on a private server named Fantasy Land with my bro and all his friends. A few months after that Fantasy Land died so we moved to MattRO and played there for a long while. I met new people there but eventually the server died too. So all of us moved to projectRO and there we played for very long time. Our guild had Americans, Brazilians, Canadians, British, Swedes and mexicans (Actually we were Puerto Rican), vent would get pretty crazy sometimes. Eventually project died a few years laters and most of us moved on. I start college and I find my friend at the student center hanging out, I come up to him to say hi and he introduces me to the group there. It ended up that I already knew all of them because of RO :3:

A group of them decided to get back into RO for old times sake back in college but I couldn't get back into it. Primarely because I'd gone to basic/AIT and my friends over there hooked me up CD keys for WoW vanilla and burning crusades. WoTLK had just came out so I bought that too and we would play during the weekends on the internet cafe by the BK next to our company building. One of our instructors played too and knew which one of us were horde or alliance and he'd smoke the alliances ones. AIT ended and everyone went back to their primary servers, so I never really got to see any of them online anymore. :smith:

People tend to have negative experiences with their MMOs because they die and/or are horrible but going through ROs private server cycles conditioned me to it. The end result is that I've had some pretty memorable experiences with people that I still talk with today or at the very least, if I see them again, we'd have something that tied us together at one point :kimchi:

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Hello my name is Cao Ni Ma, and I've been playing MMOs since a childhood friend went over to my house one day and told me "you gotta play this poo poo" and gave me a cd-r with the words Ragnarok Online sharpied into it. I think I was in intermediate school by then or maybe early high school.

I load the poo poo up, I download the patches and started playing on a private server named Fantasy Land with my bro and all his friends. A few months after that Fantasy Land died so we moved to MattRO and played there for a long while. I met new people there but eventually the server died too. So all of us moved to projectRO and there we played for very long time. Our guild had Americans, Brazilians, Canadians, British, Swedes and mexicans (Actually we were Puerto Rican), vent would get pretty crazy sometimes. Eventually project died a few years laters and most of us moved on. I start college and I find my friend at the student center hanging out, I come up to him to say hi and he introduces me to the group there. It ended up that I already knew all of them because of RO :3:

A group of them decided to get back into RO for old times sake back in college but I couldn't get back into it. Primarely because I'd gone to basic/AIT and my friends over there hooked me up CD keys for WoW vanilla and burning crusades. WoTLK had just came out so I bought that too and we would play during the weekends on the internet cafe by the BK next to our company building. One of our instructors played too and knew which one of us were horde or alliance and he'd smoke the alliances ones. AIT ended and everyone went back to their primary servers, so I never really got to see any of them online anymore. :smith:

People tend to have negative experiences with their MMOs because they die and/or are horrible but going through ROs private server cycles conditioned me to it. The end result is that I've had some pretty memorable experiences with people that I still talk with today or at the very least, if I see them again, we'd have something that tied us together at one point :kimchi:

I'm glad that you had a positive experience! There is hope out there, friends. And it starts right here. *points to heart*

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Margaret Thatcher posted:

The weird thing is, most MMOs aren't even that fun. Yet, for some odd reason, I have a burning desire to keep playing them.

This is especially true for EVE - a game that is notoriously hard to 'quit' properly. Sure, I may take a few months break, but somehow I always find myself resubscribing.

MMOs are lifesucking things and the sooner they're out of my life the better.

What is it that you find difficult to quit about EVE in particular? What itch does it scratch that other recreational activities do not for you?

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

What are signs if I have a problem. How do I know if I have a problem or not? I believe I am a healthy casual MMO-er, but I am not objective and this seems like a safe space to ask for more information.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

CuddlyZombie posted:

What are signs if I have a problem. How do I know if I have a problem or not? I believe I am a healthy casual MMO-er, but I am not objective and this seems like a safe space to ask for more information.

This is a safe space and I will protect anyone here posting sincerely with my mighty posting power.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

CuddlyZombie posted:

Do you ditch responsibility in order to play mmos?
Do you spend money you know you shouldn't on mmos?
Does your family constantly ask or demand you spend more time with them?

basically the hallmarks of any addiction, friend. don't let your SO become another gamer widow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Blazing Zero posted:

Do you ditch responsibility in order to play mmos?
Do you spend money you know you shouldn't on mmos?
Does your family constantly ask or demand you spend more time with them?

basically the hallmarks of any addiction, friend. don't let your SO become another gamer widow

No
Only money that would otherwise go to other videogames instead. Like instead of getting a bunch of FF13-3 DLC like I planned, I got FF14. I'll get the DLC some other time when I have the money.
No

I think I'm okay, thank goodness.

• Locked thread