Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
FF13 is kinda like FF14 dlc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I like to play MMOs because sometimes I don't feel like going out and hanging out with friends but i also don't feel like cutting myself off from all interaction for the night. Sometimes I like to chill out and sit around for a few hours even, shooting the poo poo while I super casually do stuff.

I think MMOs can be good and fun, but I also switch between them all the time and never stick with one because all of them have something that is bad and unfun at some point.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I am desperately wandering from MMO to MMO in an attempt to recapture the magic of Ultima Online as I played it in 1998. I have lost count how many MMOs I have tried.

I know my efforts are futile. WoW, like the borg having assimilated much of the galaxy, ripped apart the last real bit of creativity with its casual appeal and finely polished, accessible content.

But I am always lured by the faint hope that, someday, there will be an MMO that finally grabs me like UO did.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Freakazoid_ posted:

I am desperately wandering from MMO to MMO in an attempt to recapture the magic of Ultima Online as I played it in 1998.

:smith::hf::smith:

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

Freakazoid_ posted:

I am desperately wandering from MMO to MMO in an attempt to recapture the magic of Ultima Online as I played it in 1998. I have lost count how many MMOs I have tried.

I know my efforts are futile. WoW, like the borg having assimilated much of the galaxy, ripped apart the last real bit of creativity with its casual appeal and finely polished, accessible content.

But I am always lured by the faint hope that, someday, there will be an MMO that finally grabs me like UO did.

Are you sure it's the game and not the people you played with? Because my first (serious) foray into the MMO world was FFXI, and the only reason that it pulled me out of WoW was the fact that I liked the people I played with in XI more than the people I raided with in WoW. Maybe it's the fellow Stockholm sufferers sympathizing with each other, but I found the community in XI to be much closer than what I found in WoW. This is why I always look back fondly upon XI, even though it was and still is a terribly designed game. Even now, I still wax nostalgic over the bygone days of grinding through CoP missions, farming chips for CCB Polymer Pumps and then putting them up in my bazaar for quick purchase and use, and waiting 18 hours for my Brown Belt NM to pop.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Eye of Widesauron posted:

You should probably read the OP and be more positive. This is a caring place for rehabilitation of addicts.

I still don't know if this thread is ironic but I'm postin' this anyway!

It's all about balance, goons. It's completely fine to enjoy MMOs as long as you aren't avoiding real life responsibility to play. Figure out the stuff you have to take care of IRL, do that stuff, and then you can enjoy your vidya game guilt free. In my opinion, my playtime is much more enjoyable when I don't have a nagging in the back of my mind about something else that I really need to take care of.

Of course I realize sometimes this is easier said than done, so I'll tell you how I went from an addict that would wake up and play until I passed out, to someone that has his poo poo together with a good job, a nice house, a loving wife, and can play responsibly and at his leisure.

1. Baby steps. Rome wasn't built in a day and similarly, you probably aren't going to change your entire life around in a day either. If you continually take small steps in the direction you want to go, one day you will be able to look back and see how far you've gone. Today, take care of one small IRL thing that needs to be done before you sign on. Tomorrow, a medium sized thing, and so on. This is a fantastic habit that will move you into a place of balance.

2. Acknowledge your successes. With feeling, literally say to yourself, "I'm glad I took care of X before I logged on today." It may sound a bit silly, but in my experience this is really important and goes a long way to reinforcing and supporting the changes you are making in your life.

3. Don't be too hard on yourself if you slip up. Everyone is gonna slip up on the path to change. If you beat yourself up about it, you could very easily keep yourself from trying to improve in the future. In the same vein, don't let other people keep you from improving either. Sometimes people will want to keep you exactly where you are so you don't outgrow them. Learn to recognize this, but don't be angry at them.

4. Don't get wrapped up in comparing your progress or position to others'. Everyone is on a different path than you. It would be easy to compare yourself to someone you perceive as more successful and say, oh I'll never achieve that, why bother even trying. Focus on your path, and what you have to do. Use your past self as a measure of success and progress.

Anyway, maybe someone will be able to make use of this. It's a marathon, not a 100m sprint. The key is gentle, but continuous application and adjustment.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Freakazoid_ posted:

Same as me. But for me it's trying to recapture the magic that was pre-NGE Star Wars Galaxies. All those moments, lost in time...*lets white dove fly and eats Doritos*....

Tumbleweed Hank
Jul 27, 2011

Freakazoid_ posted:

I haven't played any MMO seriously or paid any money for one since I got burned out on WoW several years ago. Everything I play smacks of the same design methods Wow used and ends up not being fun because I've already played that game before and for too long.

So, thanks modern MMO's for driving me away with bland samey content and not making me face what was most likely becoming a mild addiction issue!

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Hammerstein posted:

Same as me. But for me it's trying to recapture the magic that was pre-NGE Star Wars Galaxies. All those moments, lost in time...*lets white dove fly and eats Doritos*....

pre-CU SWG was my first mmo and no other game has come close to being as much fun. gently caress SOE forever.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
The holy trinity of sandbox mmos was UO (pre Trammel), SWG (pre NGE) and Shadowbane (pre something).

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
http://youtu.be/B_7TR-X4eFY

It hurts to think about what they did to that game.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Hammerstein posted:

The holy trinity of sandbox mmos was UO (pre Trammel), SWG (pre NGE) and Shadowbane (pre something).

No Everquest not a serious list :colbert:

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

snodig posted:

http://youtu.be/B_7TR-X4eFY

It hurts to think about what they did to that game.

They had a niche' MMO that probably would have forever maintained a healthy enough population to be profitable and turned it into garbage that no one loved.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Hexel posted:

No Everquest not a serious list :colbert:

Everquest was not a sandbox. If anything it was a dikuMUD clone.

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

Its been around a year since I last played Lineage2 and every day is a little more difficult :smith:

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
I can honestly say as someone who has had a WoW problem and a serious drug problem that the MMO had a more deleterious effect on my life.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

CuddlyZombie posted:

What are signs if I have a problem. How do I know if I have a problem or not? I believe I am a healthy casual MMO-er, but I am not objective and this seems like a safe space to ask for more information.

aren't you subbed to ffxiv and wow atm

like that seems like the beginning of a problem, to me

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

sword_man.xmas posted:

aren't you subbed to ffxiv and wow atm

like that seems like the beginning of a problem, to me

I am technically subbed to WoW, FF14, SWTOR, and Archeage right now. Please help.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

jabro posted:

I am technically subbed to WoW, FF14, SWTOR, and Archeage right now. Please help.

Have you made a journal to keep track of your time spent in each?

This can help you figure out which ones you play the most and which subs to drop.

You can also go "updated my journal" in the voice of The Nameless One from Planescape: Torment whenever you write in it to make it fun as well as helpful.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

jwang posted:

Are you sure it's the game and not the people you played with? Because my first (serious) foray into the MMO world was FFXI, and the only reason that it pulled me out of WoW was the fact that I liked the people I played with in XI more than the people I raided with in WoW. Maybe it's the fellow Stockholm sufferers sympathizing with each other, but I found the community in XI to be much closer than what I found in WoW. This is why I always look back fondly upon XI, even though it was and still is a terribly designed game. Even now, I still wax nostalgic over the bygone days of grinding through CoP missions, farming chips for CCB Polymer Pumps and then putting them up in my bazaar for quick purchase and use, and waiting 18 hours for my Brown Belt NM to pop.

I didn't really make any friends within UO. I did join a start-up pubbie guild though, but things weren't working out. And by that I mean the leader pissed off some serious business 7xgm only guild and kept inviting their alts into our guild to basically pk us without consequences. He also leaned on me to pay for their guild house because I was the only one even remotely making any money.

I think what really brought me into it was the flexibility in doing things. Unlike today, where combat is pretty much the focus, UO let me be a crafter in relative peace. I actually sold stuff people were using (mostly ingots). And the fact that there were other people out there doing their thing, roleplaying or monster bashing or killing people, it all came together fairly well in a way I haven't seen any other MMO come close.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Lot of E/N posting in here.

Grimby
Sep 12, 2002
I always buy physical copies of my MMOs so once they've disappointed me to the point where I won't play them anymore - I can melt down the discs and inject them into my body. I want them to be a part of me.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hexel posted:

Lot of E/N posting in here.

this is a safe zone, and nobody has said anything pathetic

i know goons have conditioned you against this, but its ok to 'try' at things and its ok to admit you are a real goon behind the posting and neckbeard

its ok friend, we're here

Grimby posted:

I always buy physical copies of my MMOs so once they've disappointed me to the point where I won't play them anymore - I can melt down the discs and inject them into my body. I want them to be a part of me.

i guarantee that the people at The Crackhead Clubhouse have done this, except injected them into their butt for some kind of high

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
i grind world of warcraft game time cards into a powder and mix it with the melted residue from forgotten copies of failed mmos and inject that straight into my eyeballs

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Grimby posted:

I shattered and buried my Everquest CDs when I quit the game. That was 2002, and yet here I am, still playing MMOs, each worse than the last.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Eonwe posted:

Yeah, I see goons talking about pubbies in a negative tone, and its like...dude we're pubbies who paid $10. Also goons who believe the myth of 'the goon' dominating every game

Goons are just as terrible as everyone else but the built in social group of morons mostly working together goes pretty far in your average MMO.

The average goon is definitely more fun to play with though.

I don't play MMOs anywhere because they are all lovely skinner boxes and until someone makes a really good skinner box that is better about being varied I'm not interested. :colbert:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Just do it like every other goon! When you quit a game, poo poo post in the thread how much you hate the game!

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

I play WoW and have FFXIV subbed up for when WoW gets old. I have a life and friends, and balance out my World of Warcraft time with World of Gymcraft. MMOs keep my interest just because I love playing an endless game. Before MMOS I used to be the sperglord who would 100% a game, get every stupid secret or platforming puzzle piece, just to squeeze out as much of the game as possible. With MMOs the content is never ending in the form of patches, so I never feel like the game is a good time that is going to end after X hours.

That being said there are times that I slip into ODing on it, generally when in between jobs (hasn't been a problem for a while, I've been in an amazing stress-free job for almost a year). It's just something you have to be careful about when you have an addictive personality. "One more level, one more mount, one more achievement, so close to that reputation..." no stop it, put the game down, it's not going anywhere.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL9aI4JPtPQ

I Just quit LotRO for WoW. I'll be checking out both TOR and TSW sometime in the new year, after I use up the very last of my Champions Online game time cards. Can someone suggest a good, durable brand of crackpipe to me?.

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

Eonwe posted:

I'm Eonwe and I have a problem

You are perfect just the way you are!

I still play UO. Someone put me down old yeller style.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I play MMOs and I crave the sweet embrace of death on a daily basis

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
I play eve all day every day including at work. it's just so easy! They think I'm working really hard too, that's what's worse! Apparently writing a 10 page proposal in between grinding red crosses is possible! I wouldn't be able to do it if so much of eve wasn't so passive. I do lose a lot of ships, though.

Days when I'm really busy I don't play. Sometimes I burn out and don't play for a week or two and feel good. It always pulls me back, though. The people, I know them, they are my internet spaceship family. They call me back, too. I feel productive and fulfilled. I don't feel the ADHD twitch, the constant craving to do something else. Eve is always there. Waiting.

My wallet blinks. Happiness...?

John T Scrungus
Oct 23, 2010

:confused:
I've just gotten to 50 in FF14 after about 138ish hours and feel like I should go through the rest the of the game even though I'm a bit bored.

Is it just time to quit playing for a while?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

The Daltony posted:

I've just gotten to 50 in FF14 after about 138ish hours and feel like I should go through the rest the of the game even though I'm a bit bored.

Start grinding gear that'll cure the mmo blues

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

The Daltony posted:

Maybe? I dunno it depends on what you play MMOs for. FF14 is basically a WoW-esque so if you don't derive much enjoyment from challenging yourself with progressively more difficult content, there really isn't a whole lot left for you.

But there's rather a lot to do post-50 if you do enjoy that kind of thing.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I would like to announce that I am in the Albion Online alpha and payed nothing to be in it. Baby steps.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

jabro posted:

I would like to announce that I am in the Albion Online alpha and payed nothing to be in it. Baby steps.

im in the albion alpha and i paid $50

i have a problem

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Eonwe posted:

i have a problem

Could have used my link, jerk.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

jabro posted:

Could have used my link, jerk.

sorry friend! I used thanatos911 since his was the last one I saw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumbleweed Hank
Jul 27, 2011

Eonwe posted:

i have a problem

This a rehabilitation station. We don't need any of you enablers wandering around...

Does it look/is it fun?

• Locked thread