Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
S.T.A.L.K.E.R is a series of Russian shooty/survival horror games. you can find them on Steam and maybe GOG. Clear Sky is less good than Shadow of Chernobyl or Call of Pripyat but still pretty good with the Complete mod. Think a harder Fallout with less 50's america and more vodka.
If this doesnt sell you, then there's mutants that look like Danny deVito

Let's tell our tales from The Zone here.

Cheeki Breeki, now :frog: of here Stalker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I'm pretty close to beating Shadow of Chernobyl. Just need to get through Pripyat and all these loving Gauss Rifle snipers. It doesn't help that my good armor I got from the scientists is busted and the loving Bartender doesn't sell the right kind of ammo for the Vintorez, so now I gotta make due with a Duty uniform and that one gun with the weird scope that isn't as good.

So anyway, is Clear Sky fun? I heard it was kind of buggy.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i made a s.t.a.l.k.e.r thread and it got turned into s.h.i.t.t.h.r.e.a.d when i wasn't looking

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
clear sky was buggy as poo poo but i think modders fixed it up pretty good

call of prip starts strong but then pripyat itself is pretty bare and boring, i wonder if the modders fixed that too yet

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I found the wish granter in shadow of Chernobyl just now, now i have to reload a save from pripyat to get a better ending. the snipers in the endgame are assholes.
The Complete Mod for Clear Skies fixed a lot of bugs and made the game prettier, and DDraig's version of Faction Wars (called Clear Skies i think) is apparently really good- its linked towards the current end of the thread in the main games forum- it changes the dynamic a little and makes it more about owning territory.

Sunandspring, if you can kill a monolith guy or three, you'll find their guns (Groza?) are really good especially if you can find one with a scope. they have inbuilt grenade launchers too so you can send those cultist pricks flying

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
There is no gun in any of the games better than the Vintar except Tide, the super Vintar from CoP

if i had to buy a gun irl i'd get it because it's cool but you cannot own one in the US because the suppressor is actually part of the gun

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I wonder if STALKER will ever get another game or if it's dead for good. There's been a few attempts at crowdfunding a sequel, but they've all been scams.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
There's a multiplayer game by a lot of the old GSC team in very rough beta called Survarium which looks like it could be good, but it's still early days on that. I've been playing Metro Redux which sort of scratches the 'bad accents and mutants' itch, but it's not quite the same-uch more linear though still good.

There's a fair few almost total overhaul mods on moddb for both SOC and COP that do change the look/feel/plot, but obviously the writing isn't as good if you care about that and a lot of the more interesting ones are Russian only, there's one that turns the whole thing into full on snowy winter for example.

I played through SOC with Autumn Aurora and its changes to the hud and stuff are pretty cool- no more ammo counter or heard/seen bars so it gets more tense, especially at night

Dec 26, 2012

i recently played through call of pripyat with misery and it was a lot of fun though the incredibly unforgiving health system and resource management stuff will probably throw most people off. adds a bunch of guns and ammo types though which is cool and artifacts/anomalies are way more dangerous. its worth trying imo

NonzeroCircle posted:

Sunandspring, if you can kill a monolith guy or three, you'll find their guns (Groza?) are really good especially if you can find one with a scope. they have inbuilt grenade launchers too so you can send those cultist pricks flying

most monolith guys have an-94's. you can get a groza (tunder in-game) though from i think duty/freedom guys or probably from vendors at the endgame and its very good

SunAndSpring posted:

I wonder if STALKER will ever get another game or if it's dead for good. There's been a few attempts at crowdfunding a sequel, but they've all been scams.

it could come back. if not the metro team had mentioned in september about their next one being "more sandbox-style" which would probably be the next best thing if that isnt complete bull

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
metro design style would loving rule for labs, if metro's team released a remake of Agroprom Underground that was half as cool as I'm imagining they'd have a funded kickstarter immediately

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Doctor Goat posted:

metro design style would loving rule for labs, if metro's team released a remake of Agroprom Underground that was half as cool as I'm imagining they'd have a funded kickstarter immediately

Dec 26, 2012

Doctor Goat posted:

yeah pretty much. that one scam kickstarter got like 60k on basically nothing of substance before it got suspended, i cant imagine how quick one with actual content from a team who has demonstrably made actual things would fill up

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
i was playing lost alpha a while back, seems pretty good

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I tried to play SoC several times but just didn't like it at all.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I think the most off-putting things about SoC is that the difficulty system is broken. It was supposed to town down enemy health and give you more health, but it just gives both you and the enemy more health instead. So, if you're not playing on Master, everything takes forever to kill. Also, the early guns loving suck in terms of accuracy. It gets better once you get your first rifle or SMG. Just remember to set your gun to single fire and crouch when you shoot.

Dec 26, 2012

yeah the starter 9x18 pistols you get are impressively bad. once you get the mp5 things even out on that front

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Doctor Goat posted:

the metro guys need to get the gently caress on making an open world game. the past 2 games should have been open world. running around the moscow metro would be badass (i would know, i ran a play by post game here about it)

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
the faction wars is a really really good mod and completely redeems clear sky of any grenade related wrongdoings

http://i.imgur.com/BEbe7js.gifv

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I'm just glad the OP was able to clarify that this thread is not, in fact, about the stalkers who hide in bushes- it's actually about the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series of video games.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

lmao

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

The SoC mod that causes blowouts makes the game a lot more fun. Watching everybody run and hide in the middle of a firefight is cool.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
i dunno if this or the gameing pics thread would be better but uh

there was this 3-4 panel comic done in mspaint of a dude cheekin it up in the red forest and then a controller moons him

unfortunately this has been lost, i think it was posted at some point in the old stalker thread in games

i would be grateful if it was recovered

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Thanks for clarifying OP.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
metro 2033's stealth/fighting subway human sections were amazing, but i didnt like the railroad mutant shooter sections. some of the outdoor parts were cool, but a lot of them ended up like those insanely annoying warframe missions where you have to scoop up oxygen from dead enemies to stay alive.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
so what's the deal with that mmo-lite the stalker guys were working on. there was a big hubub when it went into open beta, then nothing

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
stalker holds a very special place in my heart for having an atmosphere that immersed me so much, that when one of the enemies that makes your vision wobble and drags you towards him (i think its the judge) scared me so much i genuinely panicked for my own life.

i love getting scared by books, films and games and not very many things have ever quite reached the level of that first meeting with the Judge.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Could have been Autumn Aurora mod giving all the Monolith groza's for me then. I'd played through the start of SOC a bunch of times but it's only with AA I've 'finished' it.

I have also realised that you actually spend a lot of time hiding in bushes in these games.

The Metro team doing the labs would be intense, now I want that to happen.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

NonzeroCircle posted:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R is a series of Russian shooty/survival horror games. you can find them on Steam and maybe GOG. Clear Sky is less good than Shadow of Chernobyl or Call of Pripyat but still pretty good with the Complete mod. Think a harder Fallout with less 50's america and more vodka.
If this doesnt sell you, then there's mutants that look like Danny deVito

Let's tell our tales from The Zone here.

Cheeki Breeki, now :frog: of here Stalker.

If you enjoy this crap you most likely have a predisposition towards mental illness. Peace.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Pewdiepie posted:

If you enjoy this crap you most likely have a predisposition towards mental illness. Peace.

Dang Pewdiepie I thought you were supposed to like all video games.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

SunAndSpring posted:

Dang Pewdiepie I thought you were supposed to like all video games.

I love awesome video games. In a modern FPS this means the gun shoots where you point with your mouse, the enemies aren't brutally retarded, and good graphics.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Pewdiepie posted:

I love awesome video games. In a modern FPS this means the gun shoots where you point with your mouse, the enemies aren't brutally retarded, and good graphics.

I don't think most modern FPS games deliver on those last two parts. Like, I honestly cannot remember a game where the AI was actually good.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

its over they're never going to make another one

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

s.t.a.l.k.in' makes me feel good

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

SunAndSpring posted:

I'm pretty close to beating Shadow of Chernobyl. Just need to get through Pripyat and all these loving Gauss Rifle snipers. It doesn't help that my good armor I got from the scientists is busted and the loving Bartender doesn't sell the right kind of ammo for the Vintorez, so now I gotta make due with a Duty uniform and that one gun with the weird scope that isn't as good.

So anyway, is Clear Sky fun? I heard it was kind of buggy.

clear sky owns if you play the faction wars mod

it removes the lackluster story and improves the faction system, and (optionally) adds some stuff like weapons and new mutant abilities / effects.

Dec 26, 2012

clear sky is ok, just not as good as the other two. it added some stuff like how you find artifacts and equipment upgrades that call of pripyat stuck with but the faction stuff that is supposed to be the centerpiece of it barely works. worth a playthrough if you really liked soc

oh also the plot is worthless

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Tales from the Zone Ep. 1

A Telltale Games Series

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I found Ghost's stash in Call of Pripiyat, and I'm pretty sure you can find all of Srelok's teams stashs, and even Strelock's if you are particularly observant. Pretty cool imo.

All three Stalker games are worth playing, especially with the bug fix mods.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

its over they're never going to make another one

Oh hey welcome back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

Powercrazy posted:

I found Ghost's stash in Call of Pripiyat, and I'm pretty sure you can find all of Srelok's teams stashs, and even Strelock's if you are particularly observant. Pretty cool imo.

All three Stalker games are worth playing, especially with the bug fix mods.

you dont need to be particularly observant, but props if you found them on your own without having the game highlight them for you

• Locked thread