Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
they probably won't make another stalker, but now that the source code for all 3 games has leaked, stalker modding has started to enter a new renaissance. lost alpha is the first example: apparently they're preparing a directors cut with over 100 unfinished maps for modders to build on.

also I have high hopes that the metro people start doing more open games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

01011001 posted:

you dont need to be particularly observant, but props if you found them on your own without having the game highlight them for you

Yea I didn't get the Stash indicators for them, because I never triggered that quest line. I'll prolly play them again when I build my new gaming pc.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Powercrazy posted:

I found Ghost's stash in Call of Pripiyat, and I'm pretty sure you can find all of Srelok's teams stashs, and even Strelock's if you are particularly observant. Pretty cool imo.

All three Stalker games are worth playing, especially with the bug fix mods.

Wasn't Ghost's on the Bagger 288? It's a pretty terrible hiding place imo, putting it on the equivalent of a Russian playground jungle gym

Dec 26, 2012

Cantorsdust posted:

they probably won't make another stalker, but now that the source code for all 3 games has leaked, stalker modding has started to enter a new renaissance. lost alpha is the first example: apparently they're preparing a directors cut with over 100 unfinished maps for modders to build on.

also I have high hopes that the metro people start doing more open games

lost alpha was a cool idea but i wish they had filled those new maps with cool things instead of just having half of them be huge and completely empty

also finished the upgrade system because holy hell they didnt even give that poo poo a sidelong sanity check

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I haven't tried Lost Alpha yet, but may as well wait until the "directors cut" or whatever is out.

Call of Pripyat is probably my favorite out the 3, I prefer the 3 big areas to explore, has a better sense of scale, plus not having to sit through so many load screens like when trekking between Cordon and the Bar.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

i think shoc has the better maps overall, but each one is significantly smaller and together they feel more cramped. if cop had like 10 maps of the size of zaton, it would be perfect.

Dec 26, 2012

or if pripyat itself were just more interesting. as it is theres not that much to it

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Yeah Pripyat itself definitely feels sort of bare. It's a shame the map doesn't have the variety of the first 2 areas.

The Call of Chernobyl mod which intends to stitch all the maps together has the potential to be great if they can pull it off

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Stalker is my favorite movie all of time

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

The Protagonist posted:

Wasn't Ghost's on the Bagger 288? It's a pretty terrible hiding place imo, putting it on the equivalent of a Russian playground jungle gym

Yep. But it was in a difficult to get to get upper area above the pilot's cabin.

NonzeroCircle posted:

Yeah Pripyat itself definitely feels sort of bare. It's a shame the map doesn't have the variety of the first 2 areas.

The Call of Chernobyl mod which intends to stitch all the maps together has the potential to be great if they can pull it off

I really hope they do, and add a bunch of cool features/hazards to explore.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
And more incidental little stories like that group who got sucked into the anomaly and you can hear but not see.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

I liked the mods that made artifacts more congruent with Roadside Picnic, but I still wanna see a Deathlamp.

Powercrazy posted:

Yep. But it was in a difficult to get to get upper area above the pilot's cabin.

You mean in a fun to get to upper area :colbert:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

The Protagonist posted:

You mean in a fun to get to upper area :colbert:

Fo' Sho'

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Oh does anyone remember in Shadow of Chernobyl, that there was a dynamic list of top Stalkers and eventually as you progressed through the game you would start to rise through the ranks and you could even find and kill the top named Stalkers and eventually become the number 1 stalker. I don't think it had any kind of story purpose or anytihng, but I thought that kind of concept was cool. It was abandoned though. Any mods do anything to expand on that system?

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Powercrazy posted:

Oh does anyone remember in Shadow of Chernobyl, that there was a dynamic list of top Stalkers and eventually as you progressed through the game you would start to rise through the ranks and you could even find and kill the top named Stalkers and eventually become the number 1 stalker. I don't think it had any kind of story purpose or anytihng, but I thought that kind of concept was cool. It was abandoned though. Any mods do anything to expand on that system?

Yeah that poo poo ruled.

Lost alpha kinda has a thing like that where you can hop on the radio and call 1-800-5-CHEEKI to chat with single stalkers in your area. I think it also tells their rank and stuff too.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Powercrazy posted:

I remember just killing all the high ranking stalkers I came across because I assumed Strelok would be number one. Turns out... I was right. :aaa:

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
one of my favorite li'l stalker stories someone told in some thread or another was that he was huddled up in a shelter in a blowout and noticed the other guy wearing an exoskeleton and carrying a high end gun, and the guy turned out to be #1 on the chart

sadly he died of mysterious causes during the blowout

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

there ain't room in this here concrete sarcophagus for the both of us :clint:

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013

NonzeroCircle posted:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R is a series of Russian shooty/survival horror games. you can find them on Steam and maybe GOG. Clear Sky is less good than Shadow of Chernobyl or Call of Pripyat but still pretty good with the Complete mod. Think a harder Fallout with less 50's america and more vodka.
If this doesnt sell you, then there's mutants that look like Danny deVito

Let's tell our tales from The Zone here.

Cheeki Breeki, now :frog: of here Stalker.

Hey Fucktard! Dee Dee Dee! STALKER isn't Russian, it's Ukranian! You're a dumbass OP! gently caress you!!!!!!!!!!

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Sir AIDS posted:

Hey Fucktard! Dee Dee Dee! STALKER isn't Russian, it's Ukranian! You're a dumbass OP! gently caress you!!!!!!!!!!

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGDOE-zDVZc the ukraine owns, these dudes are doing this kind of thing while being bombed

Dec 26, 2012

Sir AIDS posted:

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Doctor Goat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGDOE-zDVZc the ukraine owns, these dudes are doing this kind of thing while being bombed

meanwhile at the freedom base

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Freedom forever motherfuckersssss

Duty's all "No get outta here zone"

but the Gauss gun is powered by fragments of an artifact and all these artifacts do crazy stuff and are constantly generated. why would you wanna destroy the zone.

a friend of mine supports duty entirely because "gently caress snorks"

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I think Duty is fine because emissions aren't exactly something you want others to deal with if the Zone ever expands.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
yeah I mean letting it spread a lot would be really bad but hasn't it only spread like a mile over the years

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
cop was about the zone rapidly destabilizing right? the plot was pretty much just you, your squad, and strelok getting the gently caress out

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Sir AIDS posted:

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Robot Randy posted:

the faction wars is a really really good mod and completely redeems clear sky of any grenade related wrongdoings

yeah if you like stalker but passed on clear sky you should try out The Faction Wars it fixes so much

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Sir AIDS posted:

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Doctor Goat posted:

one of my favorite li'l stalker stories someone told in some thread or another was that he was huddled up in a shelter in a blowout and noticed the other guy wearing an exoskeleton and carrying a high end gun, and the guy turned out to be #1 on the chart

sadly he died of mysterious causes during the blowout

the zone has claimed another life

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6ffYNIwfqc

Dec 26, 2012

http://www.pcgamer.com/gsc-gameworld-developers-of-stalker-are-back-in-business/

get hype

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEEYnX89ze4

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

GSC Game World is back from the dead. get hype

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

I'm hopeful that we'll see a stalker 2, but I can't help but wonder how many gsc employees are left after a bunch left for metro 4a and survivarium

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

even if they don't make another STALKER I'm just glad they're back. I am hype

Dec 26, 2012

Cantorsdust posted:

I'm hopeful that we'll see a stalker 2, but I can't help but wonder how many gsc employees are left after a bunch left for metro 4a and survivarium

well yeah but

Sub-Actuality posted:

even if they don't make another STALKER I'm just glad they're back. I am hype

this

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Survarium is actually good and fun if you don't have an aversion to PvP. It is currently only PvP matches hosted out of Russia though so it's def not for everyone. It's our best hope for a STALKER spiritual successor though.

I really like the Metro series but I don't see an open world Metro scratching that STALKER itch. I think their style of gameplay is better suited for the linear progression they currently use.

GSC returning from the dead is good news but I honestly don't hold much hope for them to produce anything notable since they're a pretty skeleton studio after poo poo went south as far as I know. All the talent went else where, mostly to Vostok.

And that one dude who thought starting a kickstarter with old concept art and plagiarised assets was a good idea. Don't support any STALKER successors that show up on kickstarter/russian kickstarter started specifically for a STALKER successor, they're all scams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
is lost alpha not buggy yet? is lost alpha not buggy yet? is lost alpha not buggy yet? is lost alpha not buggy yet? is lost alpha not buggy yet?

• Locked thread