Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Just caught up with the lp and felt nauseous the whole time, so just know that all the viewers share your pain in some capacity. What a truly wretched game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

This mode broke me. Join us for Multiplayer Race.

Part 21 (Multiplayer Race): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuHQgNwL7w0

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
What a fitting menu for this great multiplayer game.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
No ring, 3/10. The one place this game actually needed a ring and they hosed it up.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Takes No Damage posted:

No ring, 3/10. The one place this game actually needed a ring and they hosed it up.

They are emerging from an ornate ring.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So does something happen if you catch up by going through all red rings? Please find out for us.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

So does something happen if you catch up by going through all red rings? Please find out for us.

I think the idea is that if you catch up by going though all the rings, then you become the lead car.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

You have to give them credit for trying something new. You can't give them any credit for the execution, though.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Carbon dioxide posted:

I'll try to record this on my own.

We want to trick a couple of people into playing this with us for 4 player action. That unfortunately won't happen until June and I hope this LP is over by then. I'll still record and post those games, I just don't want to leave the answer until that point.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Starship. The final level. We've got to stop Brainiac if the level design doesn't stop us first. The raw footage for this level was over 50 minutes long so I've cut it up a bit, unfortunately the first attempt is about 10 minutes long so the rest of the video will be a marathon.

Part 22 (Starship First Attempt): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXHFPYC7ics

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

The final level of Turok 2 was the Primagen's Lightship, though I'm not sure if that game has aged well.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
The final level of Duke Nukem: Land of the Babes was on a spaceship and it definitely didn't age well. I can only guess what that heat vision is for though; maybe you're supposed to stand on Brainiac's panini press and spin around while shooting your heat vision?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Huh, guess this is where that bit in the last ride stage comes from, where you (used to?) have to chase that chick to that spinny portal. I'd say I was surprised they would remove half a plot element and just drop the rest on us with no explanation but...

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Coming back to this after a few weeks, and 9 minutes into the 7th Ride (relation to the 7th Guest? Who knows.) I just wanna say "gently caress you" to Tidus. Titus. Whatever, I'll put as much effort into getting their name right as they put into making a good game. Just, from that interview that got posted way back, gently caress you. The producer is to blame for this? I'm not even playing this game and it gives me headaches and frustration, just from watching someone else suffering through it! The producer made you put that ring between two buildings where you could not get it? The producer made you put rocket dudes that take ~1/2 of your health in one hit in close quarters in the subway? The producer made you have to save a person from 2 gunmen who start right near him and shoot almost immediately? I get that the producer might have made you cut things out because of deadlines, but that is no excuse for the absolutely unforgivable execution of everything that did make it into the game. You had your sights set on an open world and that's great, and yeah the producer shutting that down sucks, but you do not get to blame what got made instead on them.

Jesus christ I'm ranting at a developer of a 15 year old game on the internet. gently caress Superman 64.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

You probably shouldn't watch this video but I hope you do.

Part 23 (Starship Second Attempt): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKvUn-ewSYU

GauRocks
Jun 2, 2008
Knowing what you actually have to do in this level, the last five minutes of that video was painful to watch. Especially the "where's the computer" bit, although I think everyone who plays this game probably has the same trouble. I know I did. Still, I almost started yelling at the screen during that part. "There's literally only one unique texture left in the room, go try it!"

Hopefully now you see why this level ends runs. Nothing is too hard by itself, but the damage just slowly adds up over a long level until you die of attrition. I had a tiny sliver of health left on my victory run, and I was scared as hell at the end. One stray bullet and there goes another half hour of your life.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Hahahaha that ending was amazing.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

GauRocks posted:

Knowing what you actually have to do in this level, the last five minutes of that video was painful to watch. Especially the "where's the computer" bit, although I think everyone who plays this game probably has the same trouble. I know I did. Still, I almost started yelling at the screen during that part. "There's literally only one unique texture left in the room, go try it!"

Hopefully now you see why this level ends runs. Nothing is too hard by itself, but the damage just slowly adds up over a long level until you die of attrition. I had a tiny sliver of health left on my victory run, and I was scared as hell at the end. One stray bullet and there goes another half hour of your life.

I thought I'd already tried it on the floor and didn't think the game would require me to press it in mid air.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

pathetic little tramp posted:

Hahahaha that ending was amazing.

The real Dark Souls starts here

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

I found this LP late so I'm still catching up your videos, but I just got to the multiplayer race video and holy poo poo this game is garbage. Thank you for suffering through this piece of poo poo for us all. When I played it I only ever finished the first ring section before saying gently caress it and returning it so in a way it's interesting seeing what I "missed out" on.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I don't know why, but I was weirdly mesmerized by the first attempt at starship (which is the first video of this that I watched, because yes, this is exactly where one should start watching LPs) :D
This game is beautifully atrocious

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The parts of this level where you're running around looking for the machine pieces aren't that bad, even by the standards of a game that's not Superman 64. The bit after that looks like its own special hell, though.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Sorry for the lack of updates I just started a new job and the first week was crazy. I should be recording tomorrow. Maybe that means the final update, maybe not. We'll see how lucky I am!

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
Am I the only one who finds "start to quit" at the game over screens hilariously appropriate?

Disco_Bandit
Sep 8, 2006
I remember trying to play this when it first came out. After Super Mario 64, this was my first n64 experience and I was completely baffled by it all. My friend who owned it never got past the skyscraper level, I think.

It soured the experience, we fell back to playing NES until we got more games to play.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Wasn't the NES Superman game pretty bad too? Not at this level, but just generally confusing and not fun?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Was there ever a good Superman game?

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Mraagvpeine posted:

Was there ever a good Superman game?

Justice League Heroes?

Injustice: gods among us?

That man by himself? Not that I know of.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

There was an SNES game that was just mediocre as opposed to bad.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Supes seems like a much better fit for an adventure game or maybe a CYOA book. The only interesting thing about Superman is how he uses his power. Everything else is just invulnerability and deus ex machina to get around it. He can loving time travel by flying fast.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Hey guys, I'm sorry about the lack of updates. After I got my work schedule sorted out I was hit by the worst case of allergies I've ever had. I lost my voice for the most part but I can talk for more than 10 minutes straight again. I should be able to record tomorrow night, if not then Wednesday!

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

I just wanted to let you know that my roommate and I followed and watched the entirety of the Sonic 06 thread and this thread so far. We then went out to go buy some Banana Kick.

God bless.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I found out yesterday that a Beta version of Superman 64 exists, which has some notable differences to the final release: http://micro-64.com/features/supermanbeta1.shtml

If you're still up for more Superman 64 after you beat the game you could maybe take a look at that?

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Don't give up on me yet, METROPOLIS NEEDS YOU!!!

Seriously don't let the curse of Superman 64 claim you. I gotta see how this poo poo show ends.

Disco_Bandit
Sep 8, 2006
You're so close! You can do it!

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Yeah it's literally the home stretch, you can't give up now!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I want you guys to know I'm trying, I just had the game crash for the second time right as I finished up all the orbs. I'm going to get this done and I'm getting it done next, I just need it to not crash on me. I'll probably post video of the crash. I was planning to do post production commentary so there's no scream, but you can imagine it.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Orbs, huh. Some excuse, next it'll be plape or tane.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

MassRafTer posted:

I want you guys to know I'm trying, I just had the game crash for the second time right as I finished up all the orbs. I'm going to get this done and I'm getting it done next, I just need it to not crash on me. I'll probably post video of the crash. I was planning to do post production commentary so there's no scream, but you can imagine it.

Oof. Even Sonic '06 was more forgiving than that with its awful, duct-taped programming. :smith:

Hang in there, champ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Presented without comment

http://youtu.be/JnotU9D0ATo

• Locked thread