Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah but if someone hacked Comcast and was like "cut everyone's rate in half or we'll blow up every Comcast building" and it worked whoever did the hack would be hailed as national heroes.

Wouldn't they be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
People probably have a more favorable opinion of North Korea than they do of Comcast.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CPL593H posted:

People probably have a more favorable opinion of North Korea than they do of Comcast.

:vince:

But also, literally true.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

ClydeUmney posted:

Except now Paramount is blocking Team America as well.

Haha really?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I was gonna chalk this up to some brilliant meta-marketing on Sony's behalf after reading that they hadn't actually cancelled it, just pushed it back to Christmas.

It seems this isn't the case. Don't bow to the terrorists Corporate America!

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

xcore posted:

I was gonna chalk this up to some brilliant meta-marketing on Sony's behalf after reading that they hadn't actually cancelled it, just pushed it back to Christmas.

It seems this isn't the case. Don't bow to the terrorists Corporate America!

Christmas was the original release date.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

effectual posted:

Haha really?

Yup.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Yoshifan823 posted:

Because:

A: The Hobbit makes money!
B: The Hobbit is only offensive to people who don't want to sit through long, boring slogs!
C: The Hobbit features fake dictators getting theirs (I assume, I'm not actually going to watch the movie)!
D: Kim Jong-Un loving loves him some J.R.R. Tolkien!

From what I remember of the book, I think it's more about the reinstatement of a dictator.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Nickoten posted:

From what I remember of the book, I think it's more about the reinstatement of a dictator.

Technically a monarch, but thats just splitting hairs.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Not the beard!

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Yoshifan823 posted:

Show up with your ticket, you might be able to parlay it into a free movie or something.

You know, if you want to go see some dumb Hobbit poo poo.

I did, and I parlayed into a free movie. Which is apparently a voucher for any free movie until 5/31/16. So assuming they have something other than dumb Hobbit poo poo for two years, this is actually probably the best turn of events.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

MacheteZombie posted:

Technically, North Korea pretty much is a monarchy anyway.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

zVxTeflon posted:

how many more lovely no name towns are going to use this as an excuse to buy 50 ton tanks for their 8 person police departments?

This is barely relevant, but police departments aren't buying those. The Pentagon is giving them away.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
So what's an average no-release insurance amount?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

effectual posted:

So what's an average no-release insurance amount?

Good question.

Crosspost from Sony leaks thread:

Northjayhawk posted:

Statement from Sony:
Sony Pictures Entertainment is and always has been strongly committed to the First Amendment. For more than three weeks, despite brutal intrusions into our company and our employees’ personal lives, we maintained our focus on one goal: getting the film The Interview released. Free expression should never be suppressed by threats and extortion.

The decision not to move forward with the December 25 theatrical release of The Interview was made as a result of the majority of the nation’s theater owners choosing not to screen the film. This was their decision.

Let us be clear – the only decision that we have made with respect to release of the film was not to release it on Christmas Day in theaters, after the theater owners declined to show it. Without theaters, we could not release it in the theaters on Christmas Day. We had no choice.

After that decision, we immediately began actively surveying alternatives to enable us to release the movie on a different platform. It is still our hope that anyone who wants to see this movie will get the opportunity to do so.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

MacheteZombie posted:

Good question.

They should just do a typical limited release/VOD thing. Non-corporate theaters will absolutely show it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MacheteZombie posted:

Good question.

Oh poo poo yeah, at least they're trying to get it out there somehow.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

All it took was the President of the United States personally saying they should've released the movie.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Erebus posted:

All it took was the President of the United States personally saying they should've released the movie.

THANKS OBAMA.

hellocruelworld
Feb 28, 2003

Dude, I See God!

CPL593H posted:

They should just do a typical limited release/VOD thing. Non-corporate theaters will absolutely show it.

If Sony really wanted to do a wide release all they would have to say announce "We have decided to launch a wide cinematic release of The Interview if the major theater chains agree to show it". There would then be an enormous amount of public pressure on the theater chains to show the film that they would likely be forced to at this point.

I think Sony just doesn't want the rest of the hacked data leaked and the "terrorist threats" are just an excuse to pull the film.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

hellocruelworld posted:

I think Sony just doesn't want the rest of the hacked data leaked and the "terrorist threats" are just an excuse to pull the film.

The problem with that is that there is no guarantee that the data won't be leaked a month from now "for the lulz". Whether it has been leaked to the public or not, the data that was stolen is out there, and can never be recovered.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't understand why people, including the loving POTUS, are blaming Sony for caving into terr'ist demands. Blame Regal, AMC, and Cinemark who make up, what, half of the highest grossing theaters in the country?

If the distributors that make up 90% of my income refuse to carry my product I'm not going to release to the remaining 10%. That's an even bigger waste of money. I hate the idea of defending a mega corporation but the theater chains are getting off scot-free when they were the only ones directly being threatened and pulled the plug.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

al-azad posted:

I don't understand why people, including the loving POTUS, are blaming Sony for caving into terr'ist demands. Blame Regal, AMC, and Cinemark who make up, what, half of the highest grossing theaters in the country?

If the distributors that make up 90% of my income refuse to carry my product I'm not going to release to the remaining 10%. That's an even bigger waste of money. I hate the idea of defending a mega corporation but the theater chains are getting off scot-free when they were the only ones directly being threatened and pulled the plug.

Probably because Sony enabled the theater chains to pull it. They did this less than a day after the threat was made. The President said specifically that he was pissed that they didn't consult him first. And to be honest, if someone is making nationwide terrorist threats to my company, getting in touch with the White House is probably my first step (after lawyers probably).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

How does Sony "enable" a theater to do something they want to do? Is there some contractual obligation where after they decide to distribute they can't also pull it?

I'm also upset that Paramount said "nope" to Team America. This is reminding me of when Comedy Central axed the gently caress out of the 201st episode of South Park including literally bleeping out Muhammed's name. When fans pointed out that Muhammed was in an episode from nearly a decade prior they pulled that one from circulation as well.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

al-azad posted:

How does Sony "enable" a theater to do something they want to do? Is there some contractual obligation where after they decide to distribute they can't also pull it?

I'm also upset that Paramount said "nope" to Team America. This is reminding me of when Comedy Central axed the gently caress out of the 201st episode of South Park including literally bleeping out Muhammed's name. When fans pointed out that Muhammed was in an episode from nearly a decade prior they pulled that one from circulation as well.

Well I would assume that studios sign contracts with theaters, yes. And Sony telling the theaters that they could choose to not show the movie if they wanted would seem to back that up.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Mahoning posted:

Well I would assume that studios sign contracts with theaters, yes. And Sony telling the theaters that they could choose to not show the movie if they wanted would seem to back that up.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to tell said theater chains to take a hike. If you live in a bigger city, there's probably an independent theater or smaller chain around that didn't cave in.

For reference, those chains are AMC, Regal, Cinemark, Cineplex, Carmike, and Bow Tie.

Thankfully there are a few theaters around here with not only better seating but delicious beer and cocktails, so no kids either.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

monster on a stick posted:

Perhaps it would be a good idea to tell said theater chains to take a hike. If you live in a bigger city, there's probably an independent theater or smaller chain around that didn't cave in.

For reference, those chains are AMC, Regal, Cinemark, Cineplex, Carmike, and Bow Tie.

Thankfully there are a few theaters around here with not only better seating but delicious beer and cocktails, so no kids either.

I can only imagine the distribution costs wouldn't be worth releasing to so few theaters. Those 6 chains represent something like 1400+ theaters with something like 20,000 screens which is about half of what a big budget blockbuster like Avatar or Avengers would have premiered on and this is a comedy film. I don't know how films are insured but pulling it and trying to get something back is probably Sony's best move.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

al-azad posted:

I can only imagine the distribution costs wouldn't be worth releasing to so few theaters. Those 6 chains represent something like 1400+ theaters with something like 20,000 screens which is about half of what a big budget blockbuster like Avatar or Avengers would have premiered on and this is a comedy film. I don't know how films are insured but pulling it and trying to get something back is probably Sony's best move.

I'm not saying that Sony should release it to smaller theaters only - though I think that would send a strong message, especially since interest in the movie is obviously high right now, and those theaters would make $$$ and maybe get repeat business. It may be enough to get the chains to cave, especially if nothing actually happens.

I suspect the threats are hollow, the last time a nation actually did a terrorist attack on the US, we used it as a casus belli to invade, and it would also be considered an attack on NATO. At some point China would almost certainly say "gently caress you, you are no longer worth the trouble" since there's no money to be made taking their side.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

al-azad posted:

Maybe neither here nor there, but years ago Disney was very firm in its contracts with theaters when it came to getting their movies or not.

In short, the story a theater manager had once told me was that Disney in the 90s used to tell theater chains that if they wanted the big Disney animated or live-action blockbusters that year, they'd have to agree to show a certain number of other Disney/Miramax/Hollywood/etc. movies for specific lengths of time during the rest of the year.

It's possible that the Sony issue was similar? In exchange for getting hyped films like Annie and ASM2, you have to agree to carry some of their non-AAA films to an agreed upon extent, perhaps.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

al-azad posted:

I believe that is how it works, yes.

al-azad posted:

The bargaining power is heavily in favor of the studios when it comes to distribution in theaters. That's why theaters get a laughably small cut of the profits for bigger movies for like the first month of release. If a chain balks at their demands then it's welp, enjoy getting none of our movies in the future while your competitors get all your business.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JediTalentAgent posted:

Maybe neither here nor there, but years ago Disney was very firm in its contracts with theaters when it came to getting their movies or not.

In short, the story a theater manager had once told me was that Disney in the 90s used to tell theater chains that if they wanted the big Disney animated or live-action blockbusters that year, they'd have to agree to show a certain number of other Disney/Miramax/Hollywood/etc. movies for specific lengths of time during the rest of the year.

It's possible that the Sony issue was similar? In exchange for getting hyped films like Annie and ASM2, you have to agree to carry some of their non-AAA films to an agreed upon extent, perhaps.

raditts posted:

The bargaining power is heavily in favor of the studios when it comes to distribution in theaters. That's why theaters get a laughably small cut of the profits for bigger movies for like the first month of release. If a chain balks at their demands then it's welp, enjoy getting none of our movies in the future while your competitors get all your business.

Yuuuuuuup. Movie studios and distributors have a lot of the power when it comes to what shows in your local movie theater. In the theater I work at, for example, I was talking to my manager about our Christmas Day movie, and we didn't know what all we were getting until barely a week before, because the distributors/Weinsteins insisted that if we wanted more than one screen of The Imitation Game (which we think is going to do super well where we are, considering our audience), we would have also had to take a screen of Big Eyes (which we thought would not do well at all).

Also, when it comes to the movie theaters making the decision to not show The Interview, I'm behind them 100%. It's a business decision all the way down. They aren't actually worried about a terrorist threat against them, because that's silly, but they could and probably were concerned about some sort of incident happening (sure, there might have maybe possibly been one in theaters across the country, but that's still a risk that your theater is gonna be the one where an asian kid gets beat up by a bunch of assholes, or some whack job uses this as an excuse to pull Aurora 2.0), but the absolute biggest concern, because this is a business in a capitalist economy, was simple loss of profits. Are a bunch of families going to be scared off/wary of going to see not just The Interview, but Into The Woods, Annie, Night at the Museum, Unbroken, or any number of other movies showing on the 25th, because they heard in the news the Koreans might attack, and maybe we should just stay home and watch a movie on TV? Hell yeah, and that affects the bottom line of the theaters and the non-Sony studios, who potentially put a little pressure on as well. It's not cowardice, it's simply good business.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

al-azad posted:

I'm also upset that Paramount said "nope" to Team America.

The guys at We Hate Movies brought up a solid point:

When a theater wants to see a movie, they'll call the distributor, hash out a deal, then get the movie sent to them. What they think happen is that they spouted their mouth off before making the call to get TA, didn't/couldn't get it for whatever reason, and then had to scramble to announce a reason why they couldn't get the film.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Yoshifan823 posted:

Also, when it comes to the movie theaters making the decision to not show The Interview, I'm behind them 100%. It's a business decision all the way down. They aren't actually worried about a terrorist threat against them, because that's silly, but they could and probably were concerned about some sort of incident happening (sure, there might have maybe possibly been one in theaters across the country, but that's still a risk that your theater is gonna be the one where an asian kid gets beat up by a bunch of assholes, or some whack job uses this as an excuse to pull Aurora 2.0), but the absolute biggest concern, because this is a business in a capitalist economy, was simple loss of profits. Are a bunch of families going to be scared off/wary of going to see not just The Interview, but Into The Woods, Annie, Night at the Museum, Unbroken, or any number of other movies showing on the 25th, because they heard in the news the Koreans might attack, and maybe we should just stay home and watch a movie on TV? Hell yeah, and that affects the bottom line of the theaters and the non-Sony studios, who potentially put a little pressure on as well. It's not cowardice, it's simply good business.

I didn't even think of it in terms of scaring people away from seeing other movies, just in terms of the liability if some wacko actually did spray down a theater. But that is an excellent point.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's always been super weird to me that Americans think going to the movies on Christmas day is a good idea.

Like the only things open on Christmas are Waffle House and movie theaters. :911:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

precision posted:

It's always been super weird to me that Americans think going to the movies on Christmas day is a good idea.

Like the only things open on Christmas are Waffle House and movie theaters. :911:

And Chinese/Vietnamese restaurants!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

precision posted:

Once you get the Christmas poo poo out of the way, there isn't anything else to do.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I see that Secret Cinema are hosting a few screenings of this, but seeing as I wouldn't have watched it anyway there is no chance I paying £25 a ticket for it now.

indy link

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

And Chinese/Vietnamese restaurants!

And Blockbust... oh :rip:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

Once you get the Christmas poo poo out of the way, there isn't anything else to do.

You can play with your action figures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

precision posted:

It ain't that weird.

• Locked thread