Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yo, imma blob
Apr 29, 2007

have you any wool
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/11297269/Cows-communicate-using-individual-sounds-like-human-names.html

quote:

Cows and their calves communicate using calls that are individualised in a similar way to human names, scientists have discovered.
Researchers found it was possible to identify particular cows and calves from the exclusive sounds they made.
The British team spent 10 months studying the ways cows talked to their young.
They identified two distinct maternal calls – low sounds when a mother was close to her calf, and louder, higher pitched calls when they were out of visual contact.
Calves, in return, called out to their mothers when they wanted to start suckling.

But the most important finding was that all three calls were individualised – reserved for a particular cow and calf so that each recognised the other.

One time a vegan tried to one-up me by asking if it was preferable for all meat to be marked with the day it was killed. Now I want each package of meat to be marked with the cow's name too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yo, imma blob
Apr 29, 2007

have you any wool

spud posted:

Ok I'm not contesting this, but how do the cows know what names are taken already? I mean if every cow is called Steve it defeats the point of having names.

Because cows are girls and nobody names their daughter Steve :rolleyes:

Yo, imma blob
Apr 29, 2007

have you any wool
I'm not convinced cows are advanced enough for nicknames.

• Locked thread