Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Really great OP, enjoyed reading it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

I imagine that processing the crickets into a form that people find palatable (protein powder or something) would take extra energy. Not everyone's gonna be cool with eating an insect that looks like an insect

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yes I know technically the answer is "none" and we don't need to eat meat at all but a standard human diet actually has a very low need for protein.

I'm always a bit leery when I hear this because often when you ask the person who says it what the right amount is, they'll give you what the medical literature says is the minimum amount required to survive. There's a significant difference between the amount required to stave off kwashiorkor and the amount that leads to optimal health.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The amount required for optimal health is still far, far less than what Americans tend to consume. As a nation we eat way, way too much meat.

Too much meat for sure, but that's not the same thing as too much protein. If someone's getting too many calories it's because they're eating fat or carbs along with their protein, not because of protein itself, which the human body loving sucks at turning into energy. Gluconeogenesis wastes like 30% of the useable energy in the conversion process.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Reiterpallasch posted:

I've had fried scorpion on a stick off of a gross-rear end street food stand in Xi'an and it was delicious. Locust, too, in Beijing. Giant ant eggs (escamol, I believe) make a better taco filling than 95% of the poo poo that Americans will happily dump into theirs. Never had cricket but I'd chow down on one in a heartbeat. All y'all white bread & white picket fence kids need to get over yourselves. :colbert:

Yeah dude, this attitude is gonna work great at convincing an entire society to convert to a new foodstuff.

• Locked thread