Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I know it gets jokingly broached from time to time, but I'm honestly interested in exploring insects as a general animal protein source. Aquaculture can give you similar superior yields compared to traditional land based animals in terms of efficiency due to the buoyancy of water alleviating the need to spend energy fighting gravity, but there are very large water quality issues associated with aquaculture. Seems to me that in terms of energy and land footprint, insects really are a superior choice.

I was curious about this as well. What would the results be of essentially shifting ranching down a trophic level? Trade cows, pigs, and chickens for crickets? Would they be more efficient with regards to land use? Could you grow enough of them to feed the same number of people (or hopefully more) as traditional meat animals but with less harm to the environment?

Do grasshoppers taste good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Torka posted:

I imagine that processing the crickets into a form that people find palatable (protein powder or something) would take extra energy. Not everyone's gonna be cool with eating an insect that looks like an insect

No more energy than all the factory processing and frying we do for animals now, surely?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

lol people bring up the babies line but the back of the train getting grossed out by that revelation was easily the dumbest part of that movie.

Like, motherfuckers y'all were all cannibals at one point how does this gross you out?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Not a Children posted:

I much prefer the Swiftian solution to this problem

:boom:?

(I know what you actually meant)

• Locked thread